Passenger Density on Ships Info

blueslily

Hi all,

I wonder how the cruise lines balance public space, cabin space, and passenger capacity which all can impact overall cruise experience. Anyone know where I can find information about passenger density for different ships? I don't want this to turn into a negative thread. Really just looking for info. I love cruising so I will continue. Plus, I like big and small ships. So, I hope to not trigger a big versus small ship debate either. 🙂 any day on a cruise is a good day! 

Thanks!

Edited by blueslily

What you are looking for is passenger space ratio.  This is a calculated space per person onboard.  Basically, the higher priced the cruise line, the better the space ratio.  

Mr. Google can be your friend

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/the-importance-of-a-cruise-vessels-passenger-space-ratio.html

https://www.widgety.co.uk/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTcvMDkvMDQvMTMvNDMvMjIvOGI5YzZmOWYtMGQ3MS00NTBlLWI4MGEtYTE4ZTZmNDFhNTg5L1Bhc3NlbmdlciBTcGFjZSBSYXRpby5wZGYiXV0/Passenger Space Ratio.pdf?sha=2994f7e05a8eb95f

I think the chart in the CLIA link has the column headings reversed.  Note that "Capacity PSR" is always equal to or higher than "Lower Berth PSR."  They would be equal if no cabin onboard has more than 2 beds – which is probably true for the ultra-luxury ships at the top of the chart.  But for most mass market ships with lots of cabins that accommodate 3-4 passengers, the number of passengers at Capacity is greater than the number of Lower Berths – so the "Capacity PSR" should be lower [more passengers = less space per passenger].  I checked out a few ships, and the CLIA "Capacity PSR" matches the Berlitz Guide's Lower Berth PSR.

Speaking of which, I recommend that you seek out Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships 2020, which may be available at your local public library.  It has this information – and much more – for nearly every cruise ship sailing anywhere.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hi all,

I wonder how the cruise lines balance public space, cabin space, and passenger capacity which all can impact overall cruise experience. Anyone know where I can find information about passenger density for different ships? I don't want this to turn into a negative thread. Really just looking for info. I love cruising so I will continue. Plus, I like big and small ships. So, I hope to not trigger a big versus small ship debate either. 🙂 any day on a cruise is a good day! 

Thanks!

We've talked about this very same subject on the MSC forum because so many people state how crowded the newer MSC ships feel. It seems a trend that with newer ships comes less space ratio across the entire industry, but one would have a hard time defending the claim that MSC isn't building ships which pack more people inside the space when compared to the competition.

A smaller space ratio is good news for those that like low prices. Certainly, lower passenger space ratios mean more densely populated and plenty of research supports that the more people who are physically on-board the more profitable the sailing.

The site I use has some glitchy stats when it comes to double occupancy vs maximum berths (ex 4 in a cabin). But I think the list  is reasonably accurate data set, especially when adding customer reviews as a second data point. 

Another interesting tid-bit when examining the data is the fact that MSC also offers the Yacht club which takes up a good chunk of prime real-estate. This is lovely for the YC guests, as they are never crowded. The absolute BEST thing about MSC YC (imo) is not having to fight for a lounge chair around the pool. However; if the space ratios below are a gauge, the actual 'feel' of the ship area outside of the YC is likely more crowded.

The  ship that gives me the most pause is the new "World Class'  by MSC. At 205 GT and 7,0000 passengers the space ratio is one of the smallest in the entire industry. I'd like to know exactly how much of that space is reserved for YC guests. Time will tell with that class.

Anyway, this is a list  of new build space ratios I composed in the fall of 2019. Hope you find it useful :)

Celebrity Edge: 37

Oasis Class: 36 

NCL Joy: 36

Quantum class: 35

Nieuw Class: 34'

Sky Princess: 32

MSC Magnifica: 32

MSC Meriviglia: 31

MSC Bellisima: 31

MSC Seaside: 31

MSC World: 29

Carnival Panorama: 28

MSC Grandiosa: 28

I took the stats off this site which lists all cruise ships. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings