Restrict Boarding If Traveled through Northern Italy

Denny01

13 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Quarantining people on the ship didn't work too well last time! My understanding is that the COVID-19 tests were run only recently, so I'm not sure how anyone could have informed much more quickly than they were. Given that the virus is spreading pretty quickly and that some people are carrying it without symptoms, you could argue that pretty much anyone at any point could have been exposed to it.

I know...…...it just is a bit odd (to me)…..they are saying they have about 20 people on board that "Potentially" have

signs of it.....that is why I added the part of getting them off the ship and onto land....and watching the story, the CDC

has not decided what to do. (if those tested are positive). I think they are flying the test kits to the ship today.

I guess there is no good answer.

36 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I know...…...it just is a bit odd (to me)…..they are saying they have about 20 people on board that "Potentially" have

signs of it.....that is why I added the part of getting them off the ship and onto land....and watching the story, the CDC

has not decided what to do. (if those tested are positive). I think they are flying the test kits to the ship today.

I guess there is no good answer.

Agreed about no good answer. Those 20 people could have a touch of a sore throat and a cough . . . which could be COVID-19 . . . or could be one of many, many other things. There's not much precedent for how to handle something like this on this scale.

We are due to board the Wind in 11 days in Ft Lauderdale  to cruise the Caribbean for 11 days ending in Barbados. 

We worry that between boarding the ship and reaching the debarkation port someone may have something that leads to quarantine. So...what to do? 

Well, we shall still go (unless something changes in the next 11) days but have made arrangements for the house to be looked after, the dog to be cared for and someone to collect our car from the airport where it will have outstayed its welcome should we end up being quarantined somewhere. 

Life must go on. The meeting in Miami on Saturday might well change all the above! 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 4:37 PM, Tothesunset said:

We are due to board the Wind in 11 days in Ft Lauderdale  to cruise the Caribbean for 11 days ending in Barbados. 

We worry that between boarding the ship and reaching the debarkation port someone may have something that leads to quarantine. So...what to do? 

Well, we shall still go (unless something changes in the next 11) days but have made arrangements for the house to be looked after, the dog to be cared for and someone to collect our car from the airport where it will have outstayed its welcome should we end up being quarantined somewhere. 

Life must go on. The meeting in Miami on Saturday might well change all the above! 

TTS...Our thoughts are with you.Hope all goes well and you can enjoy the wonderful Caribbean on our favourite Wind.Fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, Tothesunset said:

The good news is that based on the announcement today, you now have the option to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise (if you haven't seen this yet, you can read JollyJones' and SilkisMoms posts today in the thread about relaxed cancellation policies).  

5 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

The good news is that based on the announcement today, you now have the option to cancel up to 48 hours before the cruise (if you haven't seen this yet, you can read JollyJones' and SilkisMoms posts today in the thread about relaxed cancellation policies).  

Yes, I saw that. We have no real intention of cancelling unless we are barred from the embarkation or disembarkation ports or our flights are cancelled. 

It's not the virus that bothers me, it's unnecessary panic and over-reaction that's more worrying along with inconsistent national public health measures. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typo

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

Yes, I saw that. We have no real intention of cancelling unless we are barred from the embarkation or disembarkation ports or our flights are cancelled. 

It's not the virus that bothers me, it's unnecessary panic and over-reaction that's more worrying along with inconsistent national public health measures. 

Agreed!  I'm not concerned about the virus itself.  Challenges getting back due to the panic, public health measures, etc. would create major issues for me on a business front, as I'm booked to present a keynote the week following my voyage (that is, if that conference isn't cancelled).

Kudos to SS.....at least I have some peace of mind though...……..I am going to be following anyway.....my issue

is I also have a river cruise booked after my crossing.  AMA also has a waiver (which I bought) and it will give time

to make a more informed decision.  I am not panicking either but you just can't determine what will happen in the

next 3.5-4 weeks.

Not sure I’d think a good deal of the problems with cruising and the impacts of COVID-19 is over panic. I think more of it is very poor planning for the last months by our Govt to plan for what was obviously coming, and the issues with crise ships being quarantined. Heck, a large cruise ship is off San Francisco and it’s been stated there are not facilities to allow the passengers to debark, even to a place they’d be held until cleared. 

Up till recently, I’ve been one of the ‘be smart but continue to enjoy life and cruising’, but I will be cancelling my cruise out of Rome set for this April. Appreciate the cruise industry and especially RCL/Silverseas allowing the cancellation and funds going to FCC. I’m not screaming for full refunds, I’ll be cruising again shortly, but not right now, at least not out of Rome with lots of Italian ports of call. 

I do not recommend to anyone what they should do. We have friends who may well go on this cruise out of Rome, and I fully understand and think that is fine......for them. 

Den

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Not sure I’d think a good deal of the problems with cruising and the impacts of COVID-19 is over panic. I think more of it is very poor planning for the last months by our Govt to plan for what was obviously coming, and the issues with crise ships being quarantined. Heck, a large cruise ship is off San Francisco and it’s been stated there are not facilities to allow the passengers to debark, even to a place they’d be held until cleared. 

Up till recently, I’ve been one of the ‘be smart but continue to enjoy life and cruising’, but I will be cancelling my cruise out of Rome set for this April. Appreciate the cruise industry and especially RCL/Silverseas allowing the cancellation and funds going to FCC. I’m not screaming for full refunds, I’ll be cruising again shortly, but not right now, at least not out of Rome with lots of Italian ports of call. 

I do not recommend to anyone what they should do. We have friends who may well go on this cruise out of Rome, and I fully understand and think that is fine......for them. 

Den

Hi Denny,  I agree....I want to go but just not 100% sure yet. This new cancellation policy gives me some time

to make the most informed decision for me.

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Denny,  I agree....I want to go but just not 100% sure yet. This new cancellation policy gives me some time

to make the most informed decision for me.

Lois

I think that’s the great thing about this in that you can hold onto and even make reservations with the backup that you can cancel as it get closer.

Den