Norway Cruise - night time sailing through fjords ?

msec

I have had Noway cruise on my bucket list for a very long time and I finally have  a tentative 9 day Norway cruise booked with Holland America (Norse Legends) for next June (2021).

In sharing my plans with a co-worker, she said she had done a cruise to Norway in the past (on NCL) and her biggest complaint was the timing of when they sailed through the fjords - a a lot of it was at night and therefore she feels she missed out on a good portion the scenery....

Now I am concerned that the same thing may happen on the cruise I am currently booked on - so my question is  - does anyone have any prior experience on the Norse Legends cruise on Holland America and timing of sailing the fjords?

As my main goal is to see the Fjords - is there a particular cruise or cruise line that would be a better choice to ensure more 'daytime' sailing of the fjords?  I am far enough out that I can cancel my current cruise and book something else... I am open to any and all suggestions!!  

Thanks in advance 😊

• Haha 1

First, we sailed the fjords a couple of years ago completely in the daytime and I've never heard of deliberate nighttime cruising there.  Perhaps there was some mitigating circumstance that delayed your co-worker's ship?  Secondly, darkness is very hard to come by in Norway in June, lol.  Land of the midnight sun!

• Like 1

Well, not speaking to that specific cruise, but Norway in June will have minimal hours of true darkness, with the sun never setting if you get farther north.
The reality is that you'll want to be in a port during the "day", and the ship will have to travel at some point. During the "night" is that point. But you'll have beautiful twilight scenery as late as 11pm or even later at the farther-north latitudes.
Sailing into a fjord port like Geiranger, you'll want to be up as early as 5am. But any fjord you sail into, you'll also sail out of, probably around dinner time. The lighting and weather will be different (so you may want to be on deck for both), but unless you go to bed at 8pm and sleep until 7am, you shouldn't miss too much.
It is a bit frustrating that you can't stay up 24 hours a day, because there really aren't any parts of Norway that are undesirable from a scenery perspective.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the times for sun set/sun rise for June 2020. The times would be about the same for 2021. Trondheim is about the center of Norway so depends on how far north you go. Should give you a rough idea how dark it will be.

June 2020

Trondheim, Norway

SundaySu MondayMo TuesdayTu WednesdayWe ThursdayTh FridayFr SaturdaySa

Twi N: light
Sunrise: 3:25am
Sunset: 11:08pm

Sunrise: 3:23am
Sunset: 11:10pm

Sunrise: 3:21am
Sunset: 11:12pm

Sunrise: 3:19am
Sunset: 11:15pm

Sunrise: 3:17am
Sunset: 11:17pm

Sunrise: 3:15am
Sunset: 11:19pm

Sunrise: 3:13am
Sunset: 11:21pm

Sunrise: 3:12am
Sunset: 11:23pm

Sunrise: 3:10am
Sunset: 11:25pm

Sunrise: 3:09am
Sunset: 11:27pm

Sunrise: 3:07am
Sunset: 11:29pm

Sunrise: 3:06am
Sunset: 11:30pm

Sunrise: 3:05am
Sunset: 11:32pm

Sunrise: 3:04am
Sunset: 11:33pm

Sunset: 11:34pm

Sunrise: 3:03am
Sunset: 11:35pm

Sunset: 11:36pm

Sunrise: 3:02am
Sunset: 11:37pm

Sunset: 11:38pm

Sunrise: 3:06am
Edited by ski ww

12 hours ago, msec said:

a a lot of it was at night and therefore she feels she missed out on a good portion the scenery

True - does enter the fjords a 4am. You’ll pass through the same fjords in the evening. But as explained by ‘ski we’ it’s early sunrise and late sunset in June. You just need to be up early. Great itinerary.

You can get a feeling of the fjords and timing in the video.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone so much for your responses - you all have re-assured me that cruising at night will be fine as it will be light enough to see the scenery  - and I also learned  that we will also need  to make sure we get up early too 😀

Hallasm - what a beautiful video - thank you so much for sharing!!  After watching your video - it is going to be really hard to wait until next June to cruise!!  

Thank you again and Have a great weekend everyone!!

Thank you everyone so much for your responses - you all have re-assured me that cruising at night will be fine as it will be light enough to see the scenery  - and I also learned  that we will also need  to make sure we get up early too [emoji3]

Just above the Arctic Circle at midnight. 431f859eb674757e49c5617750e86833.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1