Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

On 3/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, zqvol said:

What I find interesting about the above referenced site is that there have been over 80,000 influenza deaths this year and only around 3,000 from Covid-19, yet everyone is in a panic about the latter but ignoring the former.

BTW in keeping on topic we are scheduled for an Alaska cruise around  the 1st of June and have no intention of canceling.

COVID19 is more contagious, has a drastically higher fatality rate (.1% with the flu vs 2-3% for covid19), and it's a brand new virus in humans so there's no built up immunity like you get from previous years flu. This is the real deal. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

COVID19 is more contagious, has a drastically higher fatality rate (.1% with the flu vs 2-3% for covid19), and it's a brand new virus in humans so there's no built up immunity like you get from previous years flu. This is the real deal. 

Agreed.  It's definitely concerning.

Edited by Newfun4me

7 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the second part of your statement.  When the Spanish Flu hit in 1918, no one in the world had a natural immunity built up to it yet and it killed tens of millions of people.  This one is the same. 

And we keep hearing scary stories about how they are discovering people have it way after the horse is out of the barn and halfway across the field.  This latest news from NY is frightening.  The man from New Rochelle was a lawyer in Manhattan, commuting there every day. He comes down with it and is in critical condition due to a previous breathing issue.  Now, his wife, son, daughter, and the neighbor who drove him to the hospital have all tested positive, four days after he was quarantined.  But his son goes to college in Manhattan and his daughter to high school in the Bronx.  How many people did they interact with in their daily schedules?  How about the neighbor?  Did they have a family, go to work, eat out, shop between exposure and testing?

This is why this one is nothing to joke about.

• Like 3

Cruising from Southampton in May. We have no plans to cancel. I am becoming a little concerned that as this virus spreads NCL may , in an abundance of caution, cancel the cruise.

So far I don't think there are too many cases in the UK. However two months ago we were barely talking about Coronavirus. Where will we be two months from now?

I still plan on going March 22 on the Dawn. Unless we hear from NCL that they are canceling. To me this is no different then SARS, H1N1, Avian Flu, MERS etc. Just make sure to stay alert to the situation, wash wash wash your hands and if you feel ill at all don't go.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Collett2010 said:

I still plan on going March 22 on the Dawn. Unless we hear from NCL that they are canceling. To me this is no different then SARS, H1N1, Avian Flu, MERS etc. Just make sure to stay alert to the situation, wash wash wash your hands and if you feel ill at all don't go.

For someone like me, it's not about getting sick..

It's about ending up quarantined because the US decides  we need to be quarantined for going to Italy.

Also workplaces are requiring self-quarantine for persons vacationing  in affected countries.

This isn't about fear of getting sick...

It's about quarantine and jobs.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

The mortality rate for Covid-19 is being reported as 3.4%.  There is no vaccine and no treatment other than your own immune system.  There are a lot of people who die from flu, but the mortality rate is also low (less than 1%) from a percentage perspective.  If you look at the percentages, the extreme caution makes sense (at least to me).  We have a Carnival cruise scheduled for April 4 and an NCL on May 31.  I'm wishing I didn't have either one past final payment right now as we would probably delay until there is a little more clarity with the coronavirus situation.  

Newfun4me - I still feel that everyone (unless you are going to stay isolated in your home for the next few months) will be in contact with this virus.   I could just as easily catch it at my grocery store, gas station or even my mailman as on the ship.  If you take precautions (washing your hands,  keeping your hands away from your face, keeping a distance from those that are ill) then you lower your chance.   I am healthy with no underlying conditions.   Chances are if I get it - I will be sick, self isolate myself until the 14 days have gone by and be fine.   China is reporting that for those areas outside of the epicenter the mortality rate is about 0.7%.   ( https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china )    I just feel that unless you are elderly and/or have a compromised immune system you shouldn't panic.   These are just my thoughts and everyone does not have to agree with them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Collett2010 said:

Sail on!! NCL generally doesn't cancel unless a government forces them to cancel, so you are in luck as of now. Stay safe and happy cruising!!

56 minutes ago, babydaryl24 said:

For someone like me, it's not about getting sick..

It's about ending up quarantined because the US decides  we need to be quarantined for going to Italy.

Also workplaces are requiring self-quarantine for persons vacationing  in affected countries.

This isn't about fear of getting sick...

It's about quarantine and jobs.

Aren't you going in May?  Either this is seasonal and will be gone by then or it will be widespread and it won't really matter if you are on a ship or not because you probably already would of had it.  

32 minutes ago, luv2c00k said:

Newfun4me - I still feel that everyone (unless you are going to stay isolated in your home for the next few months) will be in contact with this virus.   I could just as easily catch it at my grocery store, gas station or even my mailman as on the ship.  If you take precautions (washing your hands,  keeping your hands away from your face, keeping a distance from those that are ill) then you lower your chance.   I am healthy with no underlying conditions.   Chances are if I get it - I will be sick, self isolate myself until the 14 days have gone by and be fine.   China is reporting that for those areas outside of the epicenter the mortality rate is about 0.7%.   ( https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china )    I just feel that unless you are elderly and/or have a compromised immune system you shouldn't panic.   These are just my thoughts and everyone does not have to agree with them. 

I agree with you. The spread is definitely happening, so lots of people will come into contact with it.  Although I'm not panicking (taking a watch and see approach for our upcoming cruises), I do have a disease that impacts my immune system so I have to be more cautious.  I also have two sets of aging parents.  Personally, I think I'd probably be at more risk in an elevator or buffet on a cruise ship with 4,000+ people than at my local restaurant or grocery store, but do agree that it's likely going to be everywhere.  I just hope it slows down and the global mortality rate is more in line with the .7%.

3 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

I agree with you. The spread is definitely happening, so lots of people will come into contact with it.  Although I'm not panicking (taking a watch and see approach for our upcoming cruises), I do have a disease that impacts my immune system so I have to be more cautious.  I also have two sets of aging parents.  Personally, I think I'd probably be at more risk in an elevator or buffet on a cruise ship with 4,000+ people than at my local restaurant or grocery store, but do agree that it's likely going to be everywhere.  I just hope it slows down and the global mortality rate is more in line with the .7%.

Agree completely - if I had a compromised immune system I would not travel.   Since I never eat at the buffet or take the elevator on a cruise then those don't worry me.   I worry so for the elderly after what happened in Washington state.   Stay healthy!   Remember to wash your hands every time you come in from being out somewhere!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Aren't you going in May?  Either this is seasonal and will be gone by then or it will be widespread and it won't really matter if you are on a ship or not because you probably already would of had it.  

The average temperature in Singapore in February was in the high 80s.  

One of the two positive Grand  Princess passengers from the Feb11-21 Cruise is the reported death in California.  

We are booked on a 14 day out of Rome in May. No plans to cancel as we are fully paid and not interested in losing money.  Going to Rome early and staying a few days at our last port.  Unless our trip gets canceled by NCL, we are fine with it.

On a separate note, I have a friend who traveled home to New York last night after spending  three months in northern Italy.  Direct flight from Milan to JFK and he had NO health checks in either country, NO stops by Customs, NO quarantine if any kind.  And they wonder why this virus is spreading.  Our government isn’t doing anything.

• Like 1

Got a cruise going from New Orleans in April you bet I'm going

Flights from the UK seating assignments have already changed due to change of aircraft.

Statistical facts from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Mortality rates as of today

USA  7.1%

USA CDC figures 11.25% https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

China  3.4%

Italy  3.4%

Diamond Princess  0.85%

South Korea  0.62%

UK   0% for now

Most dangerous place to contract this Coronavirus in the world.  USA.

Of course this is a nonsense

but it does beg the question if the mortality rate is 1% or lower

this means there should be 950+ people in the USA with the virus, unaccounted for.

Just booked a cruise for 03/14/20 on NCL Escape. We feel that we have an EQUAL CHANCE of catching this virus if we cruise with NCL or go to our local grocery store, so dam-it, we will not cower in the corner in fear, we will get out there and live our life. Mind you, we will wash our hands more and if someone is coughing we will stay our distance. And if we do catch it, IT'S THE FLU!!!! Happily we are doing well "health wise" and as much as we don't want the flu, we probably would survive. Happy Sailing everyone!! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

but it does beg the question if the mortality rate is 1% or lower

this means there should be 950+ people in the USA with the virus, unaccounted for.

Well the mortality rate for the US is skewed because the largest outbreak is a assisted living facility.  6 of the 11 deaths are from the facility.  

But, there are under reported cases in the US.  Until a few days ago, the CDC was only testing those with symptoms that traveled to infected area or had contact with someone that did.  

Exactly! No one has had this virus and no one really knows it's full potential. 

We can speculate, since it's somewhat related to SARS, MERS but it's still too different to really know.

For seniors, espeically elderly seniors, it can be devistating and for youngsters too.  

I feel like we just don't know enough about it to be confident in estimations being published. The incubation period, for example.  Are we really sure it's 14 days... obviously not, so then... what? Is it 21, 28.... how far out does it go in order to be absolutely confident it's correct? 

New virus, new parameters.... my guess. 

This is not NCL related, but it is virus related. Carnival is reportedly pulling their ships out of Jamaica and Grand Cayman. The stated reason for doing so is the ports are still working through policies with respect to cruise ship visits. It's almost like Carnival is fighting back against the ports that seem to be turning away ships even when there is no evidence of infected passengers. That should have a financial impact on the ports, too. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but thought it was an interesting report.

We are implementing some itinerary changes on voyages scheduled to call on Grand Cayman and Jamaica this week. A number of Caribbean destinations continue to work through their policies with regards to cruise ship visits. And while we are following all U.S. CDC and World Health Organization screening protocols and guidelines, we want to avoid any possibility of a visit to a destination where there is uncertainty or we risk being turned away.

To be clear, there is no health situation on board to trigger this concern, but we are making this change to avoid even the possibility of a disruption.  We understand some guests will be disappointed and trust they will understand that this decision is being made to protect their vacation and maximize their experience with us

If I had a cruise booked I would definitely cancel but my reason is different than most. My Mom is 90, has COPD and stage IV lung cancer. I don’t have time to be sick or quarantined. Or to risk exposing her to it. She wouldn’t survive it of that I’m certain.I’m trying very hard right now to avoid being in closed areas with a lot of people like airplanes, public transit, movie theaters and sadly cruise ships. I just can’t take the added risk these places could pose. I know there is the possibility of getting exposed to it everywhere I go but feel I’m better at taking the recommended precautions the closer to home I stay. Maybe that’s not realistic but it’s the way I keep my sanity in check.

Edited by ramdoggiesmom
Misspelled word
  • Like 9

Why put yourself in a situation that is preventable. The situation gets worse every day.      If you don’t have insurance, so what the money is already spent.  For us, foreign travel can wait as we don’t need the problems with the virus nor issues that go along with it.  This is not under control and tomorrow will be worse.  Don’t believe me - read the news tomorrow.  .  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Why put yourself in a situation that is preventable. The situation gets worse every day.      If you don’t have insurance, so what the money is already spent.  For us, foreign travel can wait as we don’t need the problems with the virus nor issues that go along with it.  This is not under control and tomorrow will be worse.  Don’t believe me - read the news tomorrow.  .  

That's kind of where I am with it. Last week I was all in, that is starting to change each day. I really want to go, but logic is saying don't.....as is the rest of my family and just about everyone else I know. I have the 75% CFAR so I suppose I just wait it out and make a final decision three days before sailing. Concerned about getting back into US, healthcare overseas, being exposed from someone else that has it, NCL rerouting itineraries and making changes at the very last minute, scrambling to reshuffle flights, family worrying, etc...too much up in the air and unnecessary hassle.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The kids spring break is in 2 weeks.  We weren't planning on going anywhere.  But I'm getting antsy. I  check prices for the first time in a few months and they are ridiculously low for spring break travel.  I've got a reservation on hold at the moment.  I just need to either commit or not.

48 minutes ago, blcruising said:

That's kind of where I am with it. Last week I was all in, that is starting to change each day. I really want to go, but logic is saying don't.....as is the rest of my family and just about everyone else I know. I have the 75% CFAR so I suppose I just wait it out and make a final decision three days before sailing. Concerned about getting back into US, healthcare overseas, being exposed from someone else that has it, NCL rerouting itineraries and making changes at the very last minute, scrambling to reshuffle flights, family worrying, etc...too much up in the air and unnecessary hassle.

Same here (with all your points). Pertaining to CFAR, I'm also 75% covered for a voyage in May. Hopefully NCL offers 100% credit to a future cruise before then, I would take that. So long as the time to utilize is reasonable....not "offer good for June/July of 2020".