Would you cancel due to Coronavirus?

rascalchu

We are on the March 22 cruise out of LA to Mexico on the Joy.  Somewhat concerned about the virus.  We’re young and healthy but have young kids as well so we’re not sure what to do.  

Did anyone cancel a recent cruise or are thinking about cancelling?  

Yes - I’ve already cancelled my June Med cruise.  Not because I am concerned with getting sick, but I don’t want to be stuck in a situation where I get stuck in a quarantine, have restricted travel that will make me fight with insurance companies to get reimbursed hotel, flight, or other fees, or any other inconvenience that will change my plans.  I’m just going to stick with land locations in the US until there is a vaccine.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

No and I wouldn't but I would search the message board forums as this question  has already been beaten to death and been discussed countless times everywhere. 

Agree that this question has been asked and answered to death. I'll give my standard answer for the last time.

We are booked for a Mediterranean cruise in May out of Rome. We are NOT canceling and losing 50% of our payment. We also got free round-trip airfare with this cruise and would not want to lose it, if at all possible.

If NCL chooses to cancel, or if travel to Italy is banned and not lifted by then, we will gladly accept our refund/credit and/or whatever we get from our travel insurance.

Edited by schmoopie17

4 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

The world situation seems to get worse daily.  No desire to cruise Or travel  until the situation gets better. No need to put myself in risk when the choice in mine

That's okay, you do you.  There really shouldn't be anyone telling someone else what to do in a case like this.  We all have things that are more important to us than others.  Certainly, anyone with even a slightly compromised immune system should do what they feel is best for them, even families with young children or multigenerational families and traveling with elderly family members may want to investigate possible issues for their loved ones.  

This is not a black and white situation, JMO. 

• Like 4

I agree this is not a black and white situation.  The situation is changing daily and it appears we are all watching the latest developments.  My comments were not meant to tell anyone what they should do.  I just know what I’m not going to do until I see how this situation evolves (or not).  

• Like 6

First, personally I'm not going to book anything until this issue has been resolved.  However, if I was already booked and couldn't recover all my costs if I cancelled, I'd go.  It's not the fear of the virus, but not wanting to take a chance on getting quarantined for 14 days. The disease does seem to be spreading, so it is possible that the chance an infected  person could board increases.  We were on a cruise last week.  The ship was very proactive with additional sanitation measures.  The crew several times a day washed down with some kind of sudsy solution every point on the ship that is usually touched by persons.  That included all handrails, door knobs, etc.  So for me, until the cruise lines begin to literally shut down cruises, or the ports to visit become to limited to make it worthwhile, I'd go on one already booked.  The cruise lines will definitely know and pressured to react when it's time to suspend.  The future of all this will be interesting though.  My opinion.  

• Like 2

Sailing in April. Europe is on the itinerary. Keeping options open. I did buy the cancel for any reason ( which I never do) so I could get up to 75% of nonrefundable charges back if I cancel within the required timeframe. I really want to go on the cruise, but I don't want to be foolish either. We will see. 

2 weeks to go sailing to the Caribbean.  I guess alot could happen in 2 weeks, but absolutely no plans to cancel.  Quite the contrary, just went and bought a few clothes and things for the cruise.  

Having said that, like blcruising, I bought the 'cancel for any reason' so I'm mentally prepared to eat 25% if this gets out of hand quickly and I don't feel it is safe for my family.  Sort of a vague statement, but I guess I mean I'd make a call based on the facts at the time.  But certainly no plan to cancel now, why would I?

We’re currently on the Getaway and we’re not booking our next trip for a while. Our concern is that ports will be canceled and ships denied docking like that recently happened in Jamaica, DR, and St Lucia. Having fear (even though a small chance) that the Italian couple next to you might be infecting you at the Garden Cafe has not been fun.

Edited by Tummy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GettotheSun said:

2 weeks to go sailing to the Caribbean.  I guess alot could happen in 2 weeks, but absolutely no plans to cancel.  Quite the contrary, just went and bought a few clothes and things for the cruise.  

Having said that, like blcruising, I bought the 'cancel for any reason' so I'm mentally prepared to eat 25% if this gets out of hand quickly and I don't feel it is safe for my family.  Sort of a vague statement, but I guess I mean I'd make a call based on the facts at the time.  But certainly no plan to cancel now, why would I?

I had gotten the 90% future credit option- however what does this exclude- i.e. does it cover the fare paid (before discounts) + port fees + promo charges?

I doubt anyone will be quarantined on board a ship anymore. That was a disaster that just increased everyone's chance of getting infected.  It had the opposite of its intended effect.  I think in the future ships will just be refused docking.  

• Like 1

We are also on the Joy and my thinking is why cancel if there’s no benefit in doing so.  I’m already at 100% penalty so simple no show is likely the best avenue for me. I don’t have cafr but do have a great policy taken out last year so no Covid exclusion. 

So much can change and change fast.  A few weeks ago it was just China we saw with hospitals overflowing, then the Diamond Princess was a scary reality of how fast it spreads on a ship. A couple days ago it was wasn’t known to have community spread in the USA. Now it’s starting in my state.  A nursing home in Kirkland.  A high school student in Snohomish.  It’s also seeing community spread in California. So at what point do we ban Washingtonians from the ship?  Californians?  At what point does Mexico ban us?  And really how long till it’s spread to the staff onboard?  We can not wish this away or sweep it under a rug. It is what it is.  I would probably have boarded the Joy for the sailing tomorrow.  Who knows what the state of cruises will be in a couple weeks.  I wish it was “beating a dead horse” but this isn’t another thread on tipping.  It’s a topic of much graver concern and one that merits open civil discussion. 

The World Health Organization and CDC has the most accurate information.  Hint - this is not a common trivial cold.  There’s a reason why Shanghai Disneyland is still shutdown.  I wish it wasn’t so but Cruise ships have a way of spreading contagious disease like wildfire. 

• Like 11

We are booked on a Tahiti to Hawaii cruise leaving March 20.  We are cautiously planning to go but are of course watching the situation closely.

We are not booking any cruises now, but then we never do this time of year.

3 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I doubt anyone will be quarantined on board a ship anymore. That was a disaster that just increased everyone's chance of getting infected.  It had the opposite of its intended effect.  I think in the future ships will just be refused docking.  

until a vaccine becomes available, no country is going to allow a deboarding of a cruise ship into their country if anyone on that ship has symptoms of the virus.  Best case scenario is everyone gets off the ship and are put in quarantine at a port facility until the incubation period expires and they show no symptoms.  This is going to be a major inconvenience for anyone traveling over the next 4-5 months.

• Like 4