Storage on Deluxe Verandah Jupiter

uktog

The budget probably says Deluxe verandah not penthouse but I am slightly concerned about the storage as we will be onboard if we went ahead with the trip for over three weeks.  Does anyone have photos of inside the closet (wardrobe) and have views on whether the night stand (bedside unit) is a real problem being so close.  Neither I or DH have ever mastered travelling light so have some concerns on a trip this long.

If anyone has ever travelled in an Azamara verandah how does it compare

Thanks in advance

Edited by uktog

Photos here from Viking Sea (can remember which wardrobe configuration was used for Jupiter). https://intothemidnightsun.shutterfly.com/vikingsea

Won't comment one way or another about space since we are light packers except to say that we have no issue with the location of the bed and its proximity to the closet -- and we are not petite people. But even that is a controversial statement because everyone has their own idea as to what is acceptable.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Photos here from Viking Sea (can remember which wardrobe configuration was used for Jupiter). https://intothemidnightsun.shutterfly.com/vikingsea

Won't comment one way or another about space since we are light packers except to say that we have no issue with the location of the bed and its proximity to the closet -- and we are not petite people. But even that is a controversial statement because everyone has their own idea as to what acceptable.

The Jupiter has the drawers in the closet, which some have felt makes it more confining.  We pack light also so didn't have any issue.  The ships are not exactly the same and one of the differences is in the DV closets.   The Star, Sea, Sky, Sun had shelfs in the closets and the later ships (Jupiter, Orion) had actual drawers.

You can do a search in Viking forums and see lots of discussion and pictures on this exact topic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

The Sun has drawers in the closet as well, just like the Jupiter.  The Sun was our first trip.

We are also light packers, so the amount of closet space was not an issue for us.  

Thanks, Michelle!  I thought I'd heard someone tell us that the Sun did not have drawers.  That is actually great for us as we are on the Sun in June (Into the Midnight Sun) - and we actually liked the drawers!   Hope all is well and let's hope we all get to keep cruising!

• Like 2

I will try another search, I did try before but must have got it wrong.  If we book we will be doing a cruise with a variance in climates throughout the time onboard and unfortunately we have not yet perfected the art of light packing.

Storage varies so much across cruise lines that we adapt to what's available and if that's not enough, we each use one of our suitcases for an under-the-bed drawer.  Works for us and there's no angst about the amount of storage before we cruise.

(We always check the mini sofa too.  Several years ago, and I can't recall which ship or cruise line it was, we found a storage area under the cushions on a mini sofa)

• Like 1

Uktog.  We were on The Jupiter in South America last month for 18 days plus we did our own pre-cruise for a total of 22 days.  We live in tropical climate so probably packed for cold more then most people.  Our days ranged from 40 to 90 degrees F.  The Jupiter has 3 drawers and a shelf with hanger space above on one side and a high shelf with hanger space below on the other side.  Ask housekeeping for as many hangers as you want.  There is a high shelf, a pull out coffee maker shelf, the Safe, then 3 drawers in the entrance hallway next to the bathroom.  In the bathroom there is a drawer on each side of the sink with a shelf below.  There are also shelves set into the corners on both sides along the mirror.  Each bedside table has a drawer with a shelf below.  The bedside table also has a pull out top extension.  In the desk there is storage under a lift up section in the desktop.  Suitcases fit very well under the bed either open for extra "drawers" or closed for storing.  I brought a mesh bag where we stored our laundry on the floor of one side of the closet.  We did fine with storage and were able to unpack everything we brought.

We were on The Star in 2018 and were upgraded to a PV.  Our friends were in a DV and had no shelves or drawers in the closet.  We would have been hard pressed to unpack fully in that room.  In the PV we did not use all the drawers.

What we missed the most in the DV on Jupiter vs the PV on Star was the counterspace.  In PV you have a credenza as well as a bigger desk.  We carry a lot of camera equipment, our own binoculars, field guides, both have phones and tablets plus i collect maps, brochures, the Daily's etc. for my later writing.  The DV desk has a phone, lamp, the quietvox charging station and the water caraf with glasses.  Not much room for anything else.  The Jupiter did have a nice tray where we could store all the Viking books and folder as well our paper collection.  We could just move it to the bed when we wanted the full coffee table.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I will try another search, I did try before but must have got it wrong.

The search function here is terrible. I have tried to use it multiple times to find the same thread and it has never once been able to find it -- and I was giving it the full, correct name of the thread. I have heard that some people use Google to search in stead of the CC search function.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Uktog.  We were on The Jupiter in South America last month for 18 days plus we did our own pre-cruise for a total of 22 days.  We live in tropical climate so probably packed for cold more then most people.  Our days ranged from 40 to 90 degrees F.  The Jupiter has 3 drawers and a shelf with hanger space above on one side and a high shelf with hanger space below on the other side.  Ask housekeeping for as many hangers as you want.  There is a high shelf, a pull out coffee maker shelf, the Safe, then 3 drawers in the entrance hallway next to the bathroom.  In the bathroom there is a drawer on each side of the sink with a shelf below.  There are also shelves set into the corners on both sides along the mirror.  Each bedside table has a drawer with a shelf below.  The bedside table also has a pull out top extension.  In the desk there is storage under a lift up section in the desktop.  Suitcases fit very well under the bed either open for extra "drawers" or closed for storing.  I brought a mesh bag where we stored our laundry on the floor of one side of the closet.  We did fine with storage and were able to unpack everything we brought.

We were on The Star in 2018 and were upgraded to a PV.  Our friends were in a DV and had no shelves or drawers in the closet.  We would have been hard pressed to unpack fully in that room.  In the PV we did not use all the drawers.

What we missed the most in the DV on Jupiter vs the PV on Star was the counterspace.  In PV you have a credenza as well as a bigger desk.  We carry a lot of camera equipment, our own binoculars, field guides, both have phones and tablets plus i collect maps, brochures, the Daily's etc. for my later writing.  The DV desk has a phone, lamp, the quietvox charging station and the water caraf with glasses.  Not much room for anything else.  The Jupiter did have a nice tray where we could store all the Viking books and folder as well our paper collection.  We could just move it to the bed when we wanted the full coffee table.

Brilliant, thats the detail we needed!  I am sure we can manage.  Its all about adapting how you use the space and being a little creative if need be

41 minutes ago, uktog said:

Brilliant, thats the detail we needed!  I am sure we can manage.  Its all about adapting how you use the space and being a little creative if need be

Glad I could help with the details.  We also found sturdy magnet hooks worked well to put on the walls to control the hat, backpack, jacket etc. clutter.

• Like 1

We did a B2B in September 2019 and we were away for 28 days.  We were in a V cabin and managed fine with storage but we had factored in the need to use the laundry a few times. No problems with availability, all passengers returning promptly to remove their laundry.   Beware of the driers which seemed to be cold or very hot (possibly a fault?) and PJs now five inches shorter!  

• Like 1

If doing laundry and you need to hang things to dry, there is a ledge along the wall on top of the closet (or the wall along side the bed in the PV cabins) where you can hang clothes on hangers for them to dry.  It works better than hanging them in the bathroom or in the closet damp.  

Also, if someone has bouts of insomnia, around 2am apparently is the absolute best time to do laundry according to DH.  

• Like 1

Interesting you can do the laundry out of normal hours, Azamara closes their room overnight, hence the line the the morning to nab a machine.

Good tip re the magnet hooks, we always use magnet clips on the wall to hold "paperworK - saves cluttering the surfaces

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, you can get around the lack of desktop space for your paperwork by taking several of those strong kitchen clips with magnets in the back.  The walls of a ship stateroom almost invariably contain enough metal for a magnet to stick.  The clip can hold your Viking Daily, invitations, excursion tickets, etc.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Candlesmith said:

FYI, you can get around the lack of desktop space for your paperwork by taking several of those strong kitchen clips with magnets in the back.  The walls of a ship stateroom almost invariably contain enough metal for a magnet to stick.  The clip can hold your Viking Daily, invitations, excursion tickets, etc.

But note, these magnets will not work in the bathroom, where they slide right down to the floor. 

Plastic suction hooks work great on the glass in the bathroom but not the walls in the bathroom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1