Renewed passport issues?

julig22

Not so much of a question, more of an observation.  I just renewed my passport in January, so I'm good as far as that goes.  But now I'm reading that sometimes they are going through passports to verify that a person hasn't traveled to certain areas.  With time frames and locations changing,  I think I will carry my old passport just in case.

Your travel information is stored in CBPs data base, it’s not like the old days when they looked at all your entrance and exit stamps. Big brother knows where you’ve been no matter whether it was on this passport or your older one.

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021

2 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Your travel information is stored in CBPs data base, it’s not like the old days when they looked at all your entrance and exit stamps. Big brother knows where you’ve been no matter whether it was on this passport or your older one.

I'm basing this on a comment by someone on CC who said that they were checking passports page by page.  I had one passport stamp on my old passport, even though I've been to quite a few foreign countries.  But if it saves time, I'm perfectly willing to carry something as small as a passport with me.

1 minute ago, Fartlek said:

Is your old passport even valid now that you have a new one?   Regardless, as mentioned the gov knows your travel history. 

This has nothing to do with validity.  It is about proving your recent travel history.  As far as I know, the US government probably knows my travel history.  But once I get out of the US, I do not want to be detained because I can't prove that I wasn't traveling.  Does every country and every airport and every port have instant access to the  travel history of a US citizen? 

I posted this as a fyi, possible hiccup.  Carry yours or not.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Not so much of a question, more of an observation.  I just renewed my passport in January, so I'm good as far as that goes.  But now I'm reading that sometimes they are going through passports to verify that a person hasn't traveled to certain areas.  With time frames and locations changing,  I think I will carry my old passport just in case.

You renewed in January, so as of today it is showing where you have been the last 30 days or more.  When are you leaving?  I would think 2 months would be good enough history to not carry an extra passport with a hole in it.

24 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

It doesn't sound like a very good plan, trying to figure out where people have been by looking at passport stamps in your book.

I've been to quite a number of countries that didn't bother stamping my book.  

Exactly. Bermuda never stamps my book. My book for my last European trip was stamped in Belgian, Norway and the U.K.  That trip included France, Sweden and Denmark which were not stamped. A Barcelona to Barcelona cruise included Venice, Italy. No stamp for Italy....

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Carrying a voided, invalid travel document is not needed or advised. 

• Like 1

For those of you who only partially read the information posted:

"Once at the check-in counter they took the passports and went to another table where they checked every page of every passport."

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

For those of you who only partially read the information posted:

"Once at the check-in counter they took the passports and went to another table where they checked every page of every passport."

That is nice but they can only check what they have. They only require a valid passport and some NCL cruises don’t even require passports. You are overthinking. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

Your old passport is not valid for anything, and all of the information on your travels is in the database anyway. In addition most countries no longer stamp passports so what do you hope to show?

Edited by zqvol

It's not like anyone looking page by page at a passport would know (or care) if it's a renewed passport or the first passport you ever had.  If they know from your new valid passport that it is a renewed passport, they have access to the history in your old one without needing to see the actual book.

32 minutes ago, gizfish said:

It's not like anyone looking page by page at a passport would know (or care) if it's a renewed passport or the first passport you ever had.  If they know from your new valid passport that it is a renewed passport, they have access to the history in your old one without needing to see the actual book.

Just repeating what an actual passenger reported.  Scroll up.  My point is that in theory I don't have any in-hand proof that I didn't travel prior to the date my passport was issued.  If someone thinks that a passport is proof, then that proof is in my old (and expired) passport.  Just because a passport is expired does not mean that it cannot be used a proof of travel.

I'm so curious who is the "they" everyone says has access to my travel history. 

NCL - Certainly not.  They asked me for proof for current Aus/NZ visas (which are electronic) when I was registering.  They had no way to check.

Every port in every country in the world - I think not. 

Are things different now than they were 2 months ago - absolutely

Do I want to cover any and all bases if I can - absolutely

Do I think checking passport pages is irrational - absolutely

Do any of us have any say in how things are handled at an airport, a train station, a bus station, or a port - domestic or foreign - absolutely not.

I have never been to Asia, so I don't know if they use passport stamps or not.  If they do, then absence of a stamp goes a long way in proving I haven't been there.  If they don't, then an old passport probably isn't overly helpful in that respect.  I don't have stamps from most of the places I've visited, so I am fully aware of the folly of looking for passport stamps - but there are a lot of things going on now that are irrational.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Just repeating what an actual passenger reported.  Scroll up.  My point is that in theory I don't have any in-hand proof that I didn't travel prior to the date my passport was issued.  If someone thinks that a passport is proof, then that proof is in my old (and expired) passport.  Just because a passport is expired does not mean that it cannot be used a proof of travel.

I'm so curious who is the "they" everyone says has access to my travel history. 

NCL - Certainly not.  They asked me for proof for current Aus/NZ visas (which are electronic) when I was registering.  They had no way to check.

Every port in every country in the world - I think not. 

Are things different now than they were 2 months ago - absolutely

Do I want to cover any and all bases if I can - absolutely

Do I think checking passport pages is irrational - absolutely

Do any of us have any say in how things are handled at an airport, a train station, a bus station, or a port - domestic or foreign - absolutely not.

I have never been to Asia, so I don't know if they use passport stamps or not.  If they do, then absence of a stamp goes a long way in proving I haven't been there.  If they don't, then an old passport probably isn't overly helpful in that respect.  I don't have stamps from most of the places I've visited, so I am fully aware of the folly of looking for passport stamps - but there are a lot of things going on now that are irrational.

Do whatever you feel you need to do.  But since you asked for opinions don't be surprised that they may not be what you want to hear.  You are not required at this point to PROVE you have not traveled to any "hot zones."  The only reason proof regarding Asian travel is needed is if you need to prove you WERE there to get cancellation refunds.  The fact remains that if the people checking your passport are able to know that it's not a first ever issued to you passport, than they already have access to know the previous books history.  It's not like there is a giant red r on your new passport book advertising its a renewal.

4 minutes ago, gizfish said:

Do whatever you feel you need to do.  But since you asked for opinions don't be surprised that they may not be what you want to hear.  You are not required at this point to PROVE you have not traveled to any "hot zones."  The only reason proof regarding Asian travel is needed is if you need to prove you WERE there to get cancellation refunds.  The fact remains that if the people checking your passport are able to know that it's not a first ever issued to you passport, than they already have access to know the previous books history.  It's not like there is a giant red r on your new passport book advertising its a renewal.

Didn't ask for opinions on my observations- just posted a courtesy PSA.  So there is nothing I wanted/didn't want to hear.  But I am amazed at some of the comments implying otherwise.

Have you not read that NCL is banning anyone who has been in certain hot-spots?  So I don't know where you get the idea that you are not required to prove that you haven't been there?  I really don't know how they are enforcing that unless it is by looking at passports. As of my last trip, NCL did not have access to my travel history (or else they would have been willing and able to verify AUS/NZ visas).  As far as I recall, my passport has never been scanned anywhere except at an airport.

As to renewal vs new: that isn't the point.  The point is that my passport only has 2 months of history and NCL does NOT have the magical access to my travel history that you seem to think.

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Your old passport is not valid for anything, and all of the information on your travels is in the database anyway. In addition most countries no longer stamp passports so what do you hope to show?

FYI - an expired passport is valid to prove citizenship and may have unexpired visas attached to it.  According to the paperwork, my AUS visa does not expire until the expiration date on my old passport, although I would opt to get a new one should I plan to travel to AUS between now and then, rather than rely on having both passports with me.

14 hours ago, julig22 said:

As to renewal vs new: that isn't the point.  The point is that my passport only has 2 months of history and NCL does NOT have the magical access to my travel history that you seem to think.

They don't want your old expired passports history and in any case they are not looking for over 2 months back,  NCL is saying 30 days back, but if it makes you feel less worried go ahead and bring it.. If i were you I would be more worried about being denied boarding, allowed into other countries or allowed back in the US  because you are from Oregon. 

Edited by Charles4515

14 hours ago, julig22 said:

FYI - an expired passport is valid to prove citizenship

For purposes of obtaining a new passport, but not for anything else of significance.In certain states it can be used as ID...not proof of citizenship...for obtaining notarization of documents.