Ship going to another port, instead of what was planned

Luv2cruz1000

23 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

Interesting the the Disney Magic is in Grand Cayman and The MSC Seaside is in Ocho Rios so the ports are not denying all ships at this time. Perhaps Carnival decided its not worth dealing with those ports at this time.  

It did sound like the particular captain made a choice just in case. But there's still a lot of speculation right now.

There is no guarantee that they'll do anything, other than refund your port fees of course, but a couple years ago we were scheduled to port at Mahogany Bay, but were unable to due to wind. We weren't expecting anything but an extra sea day, however, Carnival was able to work it out with an extra unplanned stop in Cozumel. We had already been to Cozumel earlier on that same cruise, so we ended up stopping there twice. From what I understand, this is rare, but I have heard of them doing it one other time and that time also resulted in a 2nd stop in Cozumel.

I have a friend and her daughter currently on the Horizon.  She just messaged me for info on their new ports.  They were supposed to go to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (Jamaica) and Cozumel.  Their itinerary has changed to Amber Cove, Nassau, and Grand Turk because Jamaica and Grand Cayman will not allow them to dock

We were on the Freedom last week... missed Belize due to weather, re-routed to Costa Maya the next day. Excursion was refunded immediately and new ones were offered. Very impressed with how it was handled. Very smooth.

Sun Princess is on an Indian Ocean cruise from Australia.  The were denied porting in Madagascar because it had not been 14 days since their call in Thailand.    Yesterday they were met with demonstrations on Reunion island and left early, not doing their overnight.  Today they were denied docking in Mauritius so they are heading back to Fremantle .  there has not been any illness onboard.  EM

Port fees are adjusted and Carnival shore excursions refunded.

I've only had to deal with itinerary changes about times in port, reversing the port days, or changing a port but in the same country. I've never lost a whole day before, as they do a pretty remarkable job of adjusting plans when necessary.

MSC Seaside hasn't been allowed to disembark in Jamaica and people have already missed their excursions.  Someone onboard is in a group I'm in.  They were finally allowed off but all excursions were cancelled.

Edited by donsuej
Added more.

1 hour ago, amyotravel said:

I would rather not tender, so Belize is a bit of a bummer over Grand Cayman - but prefer Key West over Jamaica, so I would be happy if I was on there! 🙂

Grand Cayman & Belize are both tender ports, so either way you have to tender.  I do prefer Grand Cayman, though & would be bummed as well.

1 hour ago, ozzie0075 said:

Interesting the the Disney Magic is in Grand Cayman and The MSC Seaside is in Ocho Rios so the ports are not denying all ships at this time. Perhaps Carnival decided its not worth dealing with those ports at this time.  

Yes I will be on msc seaside in a few months .so I have my eyes on that.i heard that Jamaica originally denied them but changed their mind I few hours later.hopefully by August this will all clear up.

23 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Definitely.  Sooner or later they will at least have a vaccine for it, which some people will want and others won't.  Not everybody gets the flu vaccine, even with all of the annual deaths from the flu.  I am no more concerned about this virus than I am about the flu.  The majority of people will have only mild symptoms.  It looks like children are actually at a lower risk of complications if they get this virus than the flu.  The flu can kill them and it looks like this virus is mostly harmful to elderly people with existing health problems. 

Let's face it, a lot of people are over-hyping the coronavirus, but at the same time, a lot of people are using flu stats to basically say, "Nothing to see here." Around 90% of flu deaths come from senior citizens 65 & older. The flu virus is being painted as this deadly monster every time people compare it to cornonavirus. But the weakened immune systems of its victims are much more of a factor with flu deaths than the deadliness of the virus itself. The coronavirus is new, the flu isn't. It's very difficult to come up with accurate statistical comparisons. In my opinion, it's being blown out of proportion, but I also believe we shouldn't "sweep it under the rug" either. In the end, I'm not too worried about it. We cruise out of Miami in a few days. Florida now has a couple confirmed cases, but they're in the Tampa area. The Dominican Republic just got its first case. That one looks to be around 100 miles from La Romana, which will be one of our ports next week. I have no idea if Carnival even cares about it. If they do change the itinerary, we'll roll with it.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, Brittanynichole said:

Have a cruise on the Breeze 3/21. One of the stops is the Dominican Republic who just apparently confirmed its first case. 

By this point I think we are gonna cancel for future cruise credit or else we would lose everything but 25%. 😩 

I thought if you canceled so close to the sailing date you would lose all your money.. 

2 hours ago, TeresaJ said:

We sail March 15 on Horizon to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, And Jamaica. Sounds like with what is going on now, we might be going to different ports! 🤷‍♀️

We're on the same cruise! Been hearing about missed ports. I wouldn't mind a stop in Key West. I'll pass on going to Amber Cove again!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nn2036 said:

Carnival should just announce it will no longer go to Jamaica or Grand Cayman and move on.

• Like 6

According to the Carnival letter that was delivered today to all of the Freedom passengers, Grand Cayman and Jamaica are still having issues trying to decide what their cruise ship policy is going to be.  If they've had no cases of COVID-19 yet, I'm sure they are struggling with wanting to keep it that way without closing off their main source of revenue at the same time.  If your ship sits for several hours just offshore and you don't know if you'll be able to go ashore or not, it's probably best not to gamble.  I applaud Carnival for opting for a sure thing trading those ports for Key West and Belize.  If our Vista ends up next week in Key West next week, so be it.  I hate bridges, so the only way I'll ever see Key West is from a cruise ship.  It's a nice port.  If we end up being on a 7 day cruise to nowhere, I'll still be happy.  Just told hubby that we may want to add Cheers to our cruise if that happens.  Will the Coast Guard bring emergency supplies of booze to us if we can't port anywhere?

• Haha 1

I'm taking ALL these postings in, just "wondering" what will be happening in the next two weeks when we are to cruise.  I don't know if anyone knows, but because of the Coronaviris, when people just within the past couple days started their cruise, I "wonder" if they were notified "ahead" of time of the changes in their itinerary, or found out when they got on the ship?  The reason I ask/say this, since we made plans (fortunately I didn't have to pay upfront, although we were really looking forward to it) for Jamaica, with this short of a notice, you really cannot make plans ahead of time, if switching to other ports!

9 hours ago, amyotravel said:

I would rather not tender, so Belize is a bit of a bummer over Grand Cayman - but prefer Key West over Jamaica, so I would be happy if I was on there! 🙂

Grand Cayman is a tender port, also

1 hour ago, beshears said:

I'm taking ALL these postings in, just "wondering" what will be happening in the next two weeks when we are to cruise.  I don't know if anyone knows, but because of the Coronaviris, when people just within the past couple days started their cruise, I "wonder" if they were notified "ahead" of time of the changes in their itinerary, or found out when they got on the ship?  The reason I ask/say this, since we made plans (fortunately I didn't have to pay upfront, although we were really looking forward to it) for Jamaica, with this short of a notice, you really cannot make plans ahead of time, if switching to other ports!

Cruise lines are not noted for giving advance notice of port changes

On 2/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, Pyxie said:

I'm not personally worried about ports being missed. We have Cheers and will make the most of those extra sea days if it happens. 😉

This is EXACTLY my attitude about this!