Viking issues new (temporary) cancellation policy in light of coronavirus

Turtles06

Viking has announced on its website a new (temporary) cancellation policy allowing guests with existing bookings, and with new bookings made through April 30, 2020, to cancel within 24 hours of flight departure/hotel check-in/embarkation (see the specifics on that) and receive a future cruise credit in the amount of 100% of what they paid Viking, good for 24 months from the date of issuance (and good for all Viking products  -- river, ocean, and expedition).  That's just my quick summary; please see the full announcement here:

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

As someone with a Viking River cruise in Europe departing in one month, this takes a great weight off our minds.

• Like 3

This is even better than what we would be getting from our  Viking Cancel for Any Reason insurance, as it provides a  24 month future time frame instead of the 12 months in the insurance policy. If the credit is for 100% of what one has paid Viking, does that imply that our insurance premium will also transfer over to the new booking? 

I still would rather be able to take our river cruise this April, but if that becomes impossible, this will be a very satisfactory option.

I just saw this. I cruise in a week and a half. I am going to watch this closely                                                                  'PRAGUE (REUTERS) - THE Czech Republic has confirmed its first three cases of coronavirus.'

Very smart and customer friendly announcement by Viking. It gives everyone with a current booking some assurance that they won’t be stuck or have to wait until the last minute. It also helps stem the number of cancellations.

We don’t sail until April 14th but with this announcement we feel much more comfortable waiting until closer to departure to make a decision

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Of course nobody really knows much about this virus [including the 'experts'], but since there are more cases in NYS than in New Zealand at the moment I have no trepidation about going on my cruise later this month.  The numbers don't play out quite so well with the areas around European river cruises, but in my mind the concept is still the same:  you aren't 100% safe staying home, so you might as well take the trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jazzbeau,

As the guy - an expert, cannot remember his name - said on Deutsche Welle yesterday: "Relax - you are still more likely to be hit by a car or get influenza." The Auswärtiges Amt, the institution that monitors and deals with travel of German nationals when they are abroad, has only issued a Coronavirus travel warning for parts of China. They advise against travelling to the affected regions of Italy (and the other hotspots). Not sure that I would want to go to Heinsberg in North-Rhine Westphalia right now either. But all other places are not of great concern. Hope it stays that way.

notamermaid

Our Vantage Tulip cruise boards 29 March; we fly out a week early to tramp around Ireland for a bit.

My big concern is with Keukenhof...that place brings in something like 1.5 million people from around the world the 6 weeks or so it is open.  I could see some restrictions being put in place.  I was lucky enough to visit in 2019 and it seemed 1/4 or so of the visitor were from Asia.

A small issue in the larger scheme, I hope all are personally feeling well and healthy.  Congrats to Viking for their policy change, that's pretty understanding and nice to give people 24 months to use the credit.  We're partially sailing on our Fall 2018 low water credit...

I just got off Viking's chat line. As I stated above, if we switched to the same Grand European river cruise we currently have booked, in the same category cabin, on the same date, 1 year later in 2021, it would cost us an extra $900 per person. Viking just told me, "under current policy" there are no price protections for cruise revisions. So, before everyone sing the praises of Viking and how they are handling this, maybe take a look at what it will cost you to switch.

• Like 1

Our current 'Swiss Alps' booking (river cruise next month) was made using substantial Viking travel vouchers they gave us following a screw-up on a previous cruise.  Does anyone know from discussions with Viking if value of those vouchers will transfer over to a replacement booking in 2021 or 2022?  If not, that would make the price of the future cruise significantly more expensive. Something else to consider.

I am scheduled on AMADouro 6 weeks from now.  They are offering a travel waiver that you can purchase for 175.00 by 3/15 that allows you to cancel for any reason and you can apply the monies to future AMA cruise within 24 most.  I don't want to cancel but I don't want to be on an empty ship either, no fun!!  Wish I could find out if there is anyone on these boards that have cancelled their river cruise??  Like the host said, just as much chance as getting sick at home with only 2 cases reported in Portugal.  I need the magic 8 ball...what to do???!!!  Your thoughts?

I am a bit confused with the temporary cancellation policy by Viking. Our trip to China is/was scheduled for October 2020 but I sent a request to cancel by certified mail to Viking which was received on March 2nd. I did not purchase the trip cancellation  policy but as we are more than 120 days out we should be entitled to return of our funds less $100p/p. This would have been our first travel experience with Viking. Should I be concerned about receiving the balance of the funds paid?

19 hours ago, miato12 said:

I am a bit confused with the temporary cancellation policy by Viking. Our trip to China is/was scheduled for October 2020 but I sent a request to cancel by certified mail to Viking which was received on March 2nd. I did not purchase the trip cancellation  policy but as we are more than 120 days out we should be entitled to return of our funds less $100p/p. This would have been our first travel experience with Viking. Should I be concerned about receiving the balance of the funds paid?

As long as you are more than 120 days out you can cancel for refund and pay only a fee of $100 per person.  Read your Viking Summary and this info is included toward the end of it.  This applies to all Viking cruises. 

4 minutes ago, Ienjoycruising said:

As long as you are more than 120 days out you can cancel for refund and pay only a fee of $100 per person.  Read your Viking Summary and this info is included toward the end of it.  This applies to all Viking cruises. 

I'm sure Miato was asking because of the new policy stating that you could cancel and get a voucher. I have the same concern, as I don't want a voucher for a cruise that is going to cost me $1800 more than the same one I am cancelling. I would prefer to take my penalty and get my money back. I particularly don't want a voucher if it means Viking is going to be holding my $13000 for 18 more months....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I'm sure Miato was asking because of the new policy stating that you could cancel and get a voucher. I have the same concern, as I don't want a voucher for a cruise that is going to cost me $1800 more than the same one I am cancelling. I would prefer to take my penalty and get my money back. I particularly don't want a voucher if it means Viking is going to be holding my $13000 for 18 more months....

I understand the concern.  But I think the new policy exception is really intended to benefit those of us who are scheduled to embark on cruises in the very near future, less than 120 days out and well within the penalty periods.  Some folks would lose 100% of their cruise fare if they were to cancel their cruises in the next month.  This policy exception at least allows those folks to keep the value of their current cruises.  I'm not being a cheerleader, just explaining, and I agree that it really hurts to see our same cruise next year costing $1000 pp more.   I think that folks who are outside the 120 days and can cancel for only $100 pp and get the rest of their money back are in a better position.

• Like 1

If you have a cruise on Viking in March till the end of April, read on:'

As of March 11, 2020, Viking is temporarily suspending operations of our river and ocean cruises, for embarkations taking place between March 12 to April 30, 2020. We believe Viking will be in a better place to provide the experiences our guests expect and deserve after this time and plan to resume operations on May 1, 2020, continuing all further sailings as originally planned.

When itinerary changes are required, impacted guests and their travel agents are notified directly by Viking Customer Relations. Please log onto MyVikingJourney.com for details regarding your specific voyage.

For those guests whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering the choice of a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking or a refund equal to the amount paid. Guests will have 24 months to use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable