Changing Mindsets: From Saving and Investing to Enjoying What You've Worked Hard to Save and Invest

MamaFej

There was an earlier post about removing framed photos from their frames, packing them in nice envelopes by family or subject, and giving away the bulky frames.  Excellent idea, and I have finally started doing so.

Well.  I found one in which the photo was glued securely to a thick piece of wood, cut to fit into the fancy frame. That block of wood will have to stay as is, within that envelope.

Now I'm finding some in which the donor apparently put dabs of clear glue onto each piece of glass before putting the frame together.  The photos are stuck to the glass, and if I try to gently peel them off, a piece of the photo comes off and stays with the glass.  Aargh.  Not a good way to keep a photo, and not a good way to donate frames.

Any ideas on how I could safely separate glass from photo?

On 3/8/2024 at 4:06 PM, crystalspin said:

After cancelling our Hawaii-Tahiti trip over worries about others' health back home (already had the replacement trip booked), it was time to arrange flights and hotels for Voyage of the Vikings (R/T Boston) and a B2B2B in the Mediterranean. Using long-time accumulated credit card points. 

Maybe because it was points and not dollars, I was able to look at the bigger picture and choose more convenient hotels and no red-eyes, only one short lay-by (last leg of one of the trips and no other choice). 

I think it was good practice for future bookings: minimizing stress levels in the airports and achieving a level of comfort in lodging.

I have become totally spoiled booking hotels with the cruise line when going overseas on an all night flight.  Sure they charge too much but walking out of baggage claim bleary eyed and handing your luggage to someone who is going to deliver it to your waiting hotel room is priceless.  Who likes it more is DH, no muss, no fuss, no hailing taxis, looking for train stations, so easy. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The photos are stuck to the glass, and if I try to gently peel them off, a piece of the photo comes off and stays with the glass.  Aargh.  Not a good way to keep a photo, and not a good way to donate frames.

Any ideas on how I could safely separate glass from photo?

I do not know, but my idea as to finding out what others have done, is to search online for museum or archivists' websites.

ETA: Now I'm processing where you said "Now I'm finding some in which the donor apparently put dabs of clear glue onto each piece of glass before putting the frame together." If you are not trying to save the photo, a spray of WD-40 with a razor-blade scraper to lift it off the glass, would be Dr'spin's first go-to.

Edited by crystalspin

I do feel morally obliged to keep the photos in good condition, as they are from The Wedding....so still wondering about a save.  No hurry, I guess, although I do have a recipient for  all the frames lined up.

• Like 3