Changing Mindsets: From Saving and Investing to Enjoying What You've Worked Hard to Save and Invest

MamaFej

@duckliteI understand your reluctance.  If Japan doesn't open by the Fall, our land tour will be fully refunded - so far its a nominal deposit.  We did book the flight directly with Delta and got a very good premium plus seat deal.  We did opt to pay an additional $200 just to have the ticket be fully refundable  for any reason.  It was worth the peace of mind for us.

• Like 2

Since my post on this thread last year, we cancelled the Egypt portion of our trip because as I cleared one obstacle, another cropped up.  When it comes to travel, if it's that hard to book, it will be a nightmare once you get there.  We'll go at another point in time.

We DID get to go to Ukraine.  We booked a private guide and driver and spent two days including an overnight in the 30km exclusion zone at Chernobyl.  We spent the first day exploring Chernobyl Village and Pripyat Village.  The second day was mostly in the building that houses reactor 1-4 under the new containment structure.  We were able to stand on the cap of reactor 3 and enter the control room for reactor 4.  An unbelievable adventure!  We also had (not enough) time in Kyiv which is larger than Chicago.  We hope to return there some day.

We didn't get to go to see our friends in Austria, as we landed in Frankfurt we learned that Austria was going into lockdown and closing their borders, so we had to pivot and went from Ukraine to Florence, then to Amsterdam which was partially locked down, but we were still able to see what we wanted to see.

We are still planning on working until we are 65, maybe even do some contract work when we are home between trips.  We figured if we each worked contract positions a couple of months a year, it would give us the funds to fly business class on all of our long haul flights, and the "getting there" part seems to be harder as we get older.  

We are now trying to prioritize our bucket list based on how challenging the place is in terms of stairs, uneven walkways, and long journeys.  As a result, this year we are planning on Machu Picchu.  The big enchilada trip will happen within a year of retirement, the 30 day five Stans and Caucuses tour along with the 30+ day Antartica cruise.  We definitely want to take those trips sooner than later, and unfortunately can't take that much contiguous vacation time with our jobs.  (And the Stans and Caucuses aren't really a viable option due to political unrest right now.)  As with everything in life, it's a balancing act.

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

We too were initially intimidated by Japan, but we spent two weeks travelling on our own without issue and totally fell in love.   We too loved Hiroshima and we stayed there two nights  so we had time to also visit the beautiful island of Miyajima,  we also enjoyed a visit to a small onsen town.   We followed this up with a two week circumnavigation of Japan.   We can’t wait to return.   

4CFEDFEF-B3CA-4031-90C1-163D8D255A13.jpeg

AFD1CF3E-3F67-47DD-9F78-64D5F16494BB.jpeg

Lucky you!  The gate was being restored while we were there so it wasn’t quite as impressive 😢 (unless you’re into scaffolding design)

776E2998-17DB-4AEA-956E-0031D9D78216.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 4:43 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@ducklite, Wow, that's what I call adventure traveling!  Is your background Eastern European, or is it the road less traveled wanderlust?

I'm Irish and my husband is Polish.  The interest is with the road less traveled wanderlust.  🙂  

I've booked almost the entire Machu Picchu trip with only a couple of details remaining. 

Next year is a tip that is more traveled, although I suspect we'll be hiking through woods to find dragon's teeth and bunkers.  Our adult son (a major WWII history buff) is going with us, and after spending a few days in Paris we're going to start at D-Day in Normandy and work our way east where we'll roughly follow the path the Allies took as they overtook the Germans in Aachen, with time in Bastogne/Foy for the Battle of the Bulge ending with the German surrender in Reims.  And some Champagne tasting to celebrate. 🙂 

In 2024 we're planning a trip that will take us to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia!

In 2025 I expect we'll cruise again, we've been leery to tie up finds with the cruise lines due to the continued uncertainty.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I'm Irish and my husband is Polish.  The interest is with the road less traveled wanderlust.  🙂  

I've booked almost the entire Machu Picchu trip with only a couple of details remaining. 

Next year is a tip that is more traveled, although I suspect we'll be hiking through woods to find dragon's teeth and bunkers.  Our adult son (a major WWII history buff) is going with us, and after spending a few days in Paris we're going to start at D-Day in Normandy and work our way east where we'll roughly follow the path the Allies took as they overtook the Germans in Aachen, with time in Bastogne/Foy for the Battle of the Bulge ending with the German surrender in Reims.  And some Champagne tasting to celebrate. 🙂 

In 2024 we're planning a trip that will take us to South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia!

In 2025 I expect we'll cruise again, we've been leery to tie up finds with the cruise lines due to the continued uncertainty.

Will love to hear about  Machu Pichu!  We’ve enjoyed Normandy and the Champagne region, enjoy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 12:07 PM, MamaFej said:

OP here, and feeling silly.

I just wanted to let y'all know that, as of tomorrow, I will no longer be an imposter on the 55+ forum.

Carry on.

Happy Birthday!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2020 at 11:51 AM, NSnJW said:

Hi Donna,

I once knew a 2 brothers and a sister in their 80s who were still scrimping to the point of not buying things they needed even though they were loaded.

Just remember the government or a retirement home will be glad to deplete your savings if you don't spend anything.  If I live long enough, I intend to die broke.  I doubt I will live that long but I intend to enjoy some of what my wife and I saved for.  She only lived for 4 years after I retired and was gone less than 4 months after we found she was sick.  There are no guarantees.  Plan for the future but live for now. 

I so so so agree. And  I am so glad that there are others that feel the same way. I am 74 years old and if not now when? Why should I leave it to someone else that'll do everything that I   didn't do!

If you live  long enough I can guarantee the nursing home is going to take everything you've saved. Enjoy it now!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, shadow 123 said:

Happy birthday

As my doctor said to me yesterday "You don't want to be the richest person buried at the cemetery."   How true. 

Another saying is "Whoever says money doesn't buy happiness, doesn't know where to shop".   

• Like 2

OP here.

Again, I want to thank all the kind folks on this thread who've encouraged me as I continue to adjust my mindset to spending, not just saving. 

I am very grateful that we have been hitting the travel so hard the last few years. I'm supposed to be in Europe right now, 2 days into a 57 day trip. Instead, I'm a few days away from having a defibrilator implanted to prevent Sudden Cardiac Death. I've known this is a possibility for several years, when genetic testing showed that I have the same gene that has caused a rare heart disease in several family members as early as 17 and 29 years old. I'm 56, and I had thought I'd escaped it since having the gene does not guarantee getting the disease, and my 80 year-old mom does not appear to have it. Two of my kids have the gene, as do both of one diagnosed cousin's kids. I'll be the 4th who is still alive to get an ICD. I'm the first female to be diagnosed in the family. It is more common in males. 

All this to say, no one knows how long they have. I've been aware for a while that this might be coming, and it has helped me to loosen up the purse strings in recent years. I'm grateful for that. 

I am determined to get as well as I possibly can (with a progressive, incurable heart disease) and to live life as fully as I can. I'm becoming more likely to book nicer cabins, hotel rooms, meals... 

I'm also more determined to do family trips with my children (all in their 20s). I'd rather leave them with memories of awesome experiences we've had together than with leftover cash. The two I've talked to about it are in full agreement, and I am sure the other one will be as well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

OP here.

Again, I want to thank all the kind folks on this thread who've encouraged me as I continue to adjust my mindset to spending, not just saving. 

I am very grateful that we have been hitting the travel so hard the last few years. I'm supposed to be in Europe right now, 2 days into a 57 day trip. Instead, I'm a few days away from having a defibrilator implanted to prevent Sudden Cardiac Death. I've known this is a possibility for several years, when genetic testing showed that I have the same gene that has caused a rare heart disease in several family members as early as 17 and 29 years old. I'm 56, and I had thought I'd escaped it since having the gene does not guarantee getting the disease, and my 80 year-old mom does not appear to have it. Two of my kids have the gene, as do both of one diagnosed cousin's kids. I'll be the 4th who is still alive to get an ICD. I'm the first female to be diagnosed in the family. It is more common in males. 

All this to say, no one knows how long they have. I've been aware for a while that this might be coming, and it has helped me to loosen up the purse strings in recent years. I'm grateful for that. 

I am determined to get as well as I possibly can (with a progressive, incurable heart disease) and to live life as fully as I can. I'm becoming more likely to book nicer cabins, hotel rooms, meals... 

I'm also more determined to do family trips with my children (all in their 20s). I'd rather leave them with memories of awesome experiences we've had together than with leftover cash. The two I've talked to about it are in full agreement, and I am sure the other one will be as well. 

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and quick recovery so you can start hitting the travel hard again!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

OP here.

Hoping all goes well for you.  I’ve had a tough year medically and am so grateful we’ve travelled a lot,  hoping to do a lot more soon.  Hoping you get a chance to do even more.  I so agree about spending on experiences and making memories.  They won’t notice the difference in their inheritance but will always have great memories. 

I promised DS I would take him to the Biennale in Venice on his 30 th and he didn’t forget.  We had the pleasure of celebrating another milestone in Hawaii.  Life’s short, fly business if you can😅😂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mexico8 said:

As my doctor said to me yesterday "You don't want to be the richest person buried at the cemetery."   How true. 

Another saying is "Whoever says money doesn't buy happiness, doesn't know where to shop".   

Ain’t that the truth!  Although for some…. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Hoping all goes well for you.  I’ve had a tough year medically and am so grateful we’ve travelled a lot,  hoping to do a lot more soon.  Hoping you get a chance to do even more.  I so agree about spending on experiences and making memories.  They won’t notice the difference in their inheritance but will always have great memories. 

I promised DS I would take him to the Biennale in Venice on his 30 th and he didn’t forget.  We had the pleasure of celebrating another milestone in Hawaii.  Life’s short, fly business if you can😅😂

Thanks. I'm getting pretty good at playing the Points Game. We had $213 Business Class tickets from LAX to LHR. We have already gotten the pints back, and the money has been refunded, too. We will include the change fees in our travel insurance claim. 

We have even better BC points deals on Singapore Air to and from Asia next year, using points and very little cash. Hopefully, that trip will still be a go, as well as our late September to late November trip. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thanks. I'm getting pretty good at playing the Points Game. We had $213 Business Class tickets from LAX to LHR. We have already gotten the pints back, and the money has been refunded, too. We will include the change fees in our travel insurance claim. 

We have even better BC points deals on Singapore Air to and from Asia next year, using points and very little cash. Hopefully, that trip will still be a go, as well as our late September to late November trip. 

All the better, I love business class on points!  And to Asia it will be awesome. Japan has been one of our favourite trips.   Hope you recover quickly!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am following the advice here and booking Business class for my husband and I to fly back from Chile in December.   I could not face 12 hours sitting in Economy.   We will bite the bullet and go Business.

We did fly Business one other time from Rome when we had to leave a cruise ship and fly home early because of a heart issue  that I had and we did not find it that great for comfort so  we are hoping we enjoy the December one more with another airline.

• Like 2

My procedure went well, the defibrillator is responding to external commands. We stayed at a hotel near the hospital, so we wouldn’t have to make the long drive home too soon. We got a free upgrade to a huge suite due to one of our points cards, and earned more points for future, far more fun stays. 

Hopefully, I’ll never actually need to be shocked, but knowing that it’s there is providing peace of mind to me and my loved ones. 

By the way, I named it Gershwin. If I ever go into ventricular fibrillation or full arrest, it will shock me to make sure that “I Got Rhythm.” 

Yes, I’m a dork. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, MamaFej said:

My procedure went well, the defibrillator is responding to external commands. We stayed at a hotel near the hospital, so we wouldn’t have to make the long drive home too soon. We got a free upgrade to a huge suite due to one of our points cards, and earned more points for future, far more fun stays. 

Hopefully, I’ll never actually need to be shocked, but knowing that it’s there is providing peace of mind to me and my loved ones. 

By the way, I named it Gershwin. If I ever go into ventricular fibrillation or full arrest, it will shock me to make sure that “I Got Rhythm.” 

Yes, I’m a dork. 

Glad all went well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saved while I was working, especially after the last kid moved out. We retired 4 years ago and live on our annual income from pensions and social security. We don’t have any debt or much in the way of bills. 

We meet with our financial advisor every year to make sure our goals haven’t changed and to see if we want to lower risk or increase returns. This year, he told us that our money would continue to grow and if we had no other plans, we would be leaving quite a bit to our children. In essence, he was telling us we could afford to spend much more than we do. We already travel when we can and neither of us needs or wants anything. So, my wife emptied her closet, donated it all to a thrift store, and announced she was going shopping!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1