Bringing gin on board

trashnob

In Florida before the cruise I want to buy 2 bottles of gin to bring back to Canada. I don't necessarily intend to drink it aboard, I want to bring it home after the cruise. I don't have time to shop for gin after the cruise. I see Princess policy says, "Beer and liquor are not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded." Can't I get them to hold it for me and return it at the end of the cruise like their policy is with buying liquor in port?

"Purchasing alcohol in port to bring onboard: It will be retained at the gangway until the end of the cruise."

Also I bought liquor in port before and it was undetected, wasn't trying to sneak it on, figured they would hold it for me but it came up to my room in my bag, no one batted an eye. How likely is it if I bring my gin aboard in my luggage it will actually be found and destroyed?

4 minutes ago, trashnob said:

In Florida before the cruise I want to buy 2 bottles of gin to bring back to Canada. I don't necessarily intend to drink it aboard, I want to bring it home after the cruise. I don't have time to shop for gin after the cruise. I see Princess policy says, "Beer and liquor are not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded." Can't I get them to hold it for me and return it at the end of the cruise like their policy is with buying liquor in port?

"Purchasing alcohol in port to bring onboard: It will be retained at the gangway until the end of the cruise."

Also I bought liquor in port before and it was undetected, wasn't trying to sneak it on, figured they would hold it for me but it came up to my room in my bag, no one batted an eye. How likely is it if I bring my gin aboard in my luggage it will actually be found and destroyed?

Good luck with that.

Sometimes they will hold it sometimes not.......

We had friends attempt that (whiskey) and they were given the option to dump it or let the ship dispose of it.

If you put it in a suitcase upon boarding chances are they will catch it.

• Like 1

You will not be able to bring it onboard at embarkation and if they find it in your suitcase they will confiscate it.

Where are you cruising? Are you sailing RT Fort Lauderdale? If you are going to the Caribbean, can't you buy the gin duty free at one of the ports or is it only sold exclusively in the US?

If you are able to purchase it in a port you visit, the ship will hold it and return it to your cabin the night before you disembark.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hllwdcruiser said:

You will not be able to bring it onboard at embarkation and if they find it in your suitcase they will confiscate it.

Where are you cruising? Are you sailing RT Fort Lauderdale? If you are going to the Caribbean, can't you buy the gin duty free at one of the ports or is it only sold exclusively in the US?

If you are able to purchase it in a port you visit, the ship will hold it and return it to your cabin the night before you disembark.

Yeah I had specific ones in mind and picked out at stores near where I'm staying before the cruise. Bit of a gin snob, I am. 🙂 Always like to add to my collection. So I planned to get a couple gins to bring back with me. But I guess I can't. Lame.

• Like 1

Don’t they have Duty Free shops at FLL airport that sell alcohol?

Just curious , don’t they sell Gin in Canada?

Since you are a self declared Gin snob where do you buy it?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, julia said:

If it's that important to you, buy it at the store and have it shipped to your home.

Hmm, I'll ask them about that. I think it might be illegal though. (Canadian law.) I can't buy liquor online, in Canada. But it's a thought. Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Don’t they have Duty Free shops at FLL airport that sell alcohol?

Just curious , don’t they sell Gin in Canada?

Since you are a self declared Gin snob where do you buy it?

Enjoy your cruise.

Yeah Duty Free shops won't have the niche gins I'm seeking. I'm not trying to get my hands on Bombay or Tanqueray or something common (as much as I like those!), I was trying to bring back specific gins I haven't tried before that are rarer finds. We do have gins here 🙂 But not the ones I could get in Fort Lauderdale at a couple stores I found. There are many many gins out there! Just a little game I have going on in my life where I try to get my hands on ones I never tried before. I also collect the bottles. 

8 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I'm a bit confused. If you're truly trying to buy gin to take home; Princess will take if from you (if declared) and return the night before you leave...

This has been our experience bring spirits onboard when boarding and at ports in Australia / New Zealand.

Totally understand wanting to bring back a certain brand,  maybe you like the brand or its a momento from a trip.  For me,  everything is half the price of what I can get here and an expensive bottle now is affordable.  Not sure why others don't seem to "get it." 

Last time I was on a Princess ship was 18 mo ago.  Got 2 bottles on by putting them in two separate checked bags.  Have done that on other lines w/o any problems.  Never heard of them dumping it out unless the bottle is open.  Worst case scenario is they call you to the "Naughty Room." Tell them what you posted here.  They will keep it and return it on the last night.   

True story, a few years back on the Ruby Princess we met a couple that we kinda hung out with during the week.  He was a Dewars fan and bought one of those 3 or 4 litre monster bottles in St. Martin to bring back home.  He literally walked right to security after boarding and told them he needed the bottle in his room to pack correctly and not be damaged.  They let him take it to his room.  No issues.  He even got it home without breaking as he sent a picture of it above his bar.

Customs might be a different story.  

I have on occasion put it a bottle in my backpack, at check-in when they told me to take it over to the alcohol table, I simply walked right by the table and onto the ship. I haven't tried that in a while though.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Good luck with that.

Sometimes they will hold it sometimes not.......

We had friends attempt that (whiskey) and they were given the option to dump it or let the ship dispose of it.

If you put it in a suitcase upon boarding chances are they will catch it.

Always put it in suitcase, never had a problem 79 times so far, YMMV

Edited by Griller
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I'm a bit confused. If you're truly trying to buy gin to take home; Princess will take if from you (if declared) and return the night before you leave...

That's what I was asking.

But others have said they will get rid of it. 

1 hour ago, Griller said:

Always put it in suitcase, never had a problem 79 times so far, YMMV

Hmm...mixed messages. Okay. I'll keep that in mind. 79 times is a lot.

Edited by trashnob

1 hour ago, Lineaway said:

Totally understand wanting to bring back a certain brand,  maybe you like the brand or its a momento from a trip.  For me,  everything is half the price of what I can get here and an expensive bottle now is affordable.  Not sure why others don't seem to "get it." 

Last time I was on a Princess ship was 18 mo ago.  Got 2 bottles on by putting them in two separate checked bags.  Have done that on other lines w/o any problems.  Never heard of them dumping it out unless the bottle is open.  Worst case scenario is they call you to the "Naughty Room." Tell them what you posted here.  They will keep it and return it on the last night.   

True story, a few years back on the Ruby Princess we met a couple that we kinda hung out with during the week.  He was a Dewars fan and bought one of those 3 or 4 litre monster bottles in St. Martin to bring back home.  He literally walked right to security after boarding and told them he needed the bottle in his room to pack correctly and not be damaged.  They let him take it to his room.  No issues.  He even got it home without breaking as he sent a picture of it above his bar.

Customs might be a different story.  

Yeah, it seems to be the go-to response for anything on the internet nowadays is no understanding and immediate criticism. I'm starting to get used to it. Thanks for getting it though - breath of fresh air. 

Only problem is now I have sensible opinions from both sides, haha. Hmmm. To take or not to take. I wonder if I should put them in the suitcase and declare them at check in. I really don't mind if they hold on to them during the cruise. The point isn't to drink them on the ship. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, trashnob said:

Only problem is now I have sensible opinions from both sides, haha. Hmmm. To take or not to take. I wonder if I should put them in the suitcase and declare them at check in. I really don't mind if they hold on to them during the cruise. The point isn't to drink them on the ship. 

That might be the thing to do. Honestly, when I answered you I never thought of PE being like a port you visit once you've set sail. I don't see why they wouldn't hold it for you on the ship if you declare it and ask them to hold it until the night before disembarkation. I think we were all thinking of what happens if you try to sneak alcohol on with the intent to consume it while onboard.  

Edited by hllwdcruiser
  • Like 1

YOu could buy the gin on the ship or in a port, like others have said.  Maybe you could contact Princess via E-mail to tell them what you want to do, about checking the gin in at the port.  See what they say.  If they say "yes" take a copy of the E-mail with you.  Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One problem is that Princess is NEVER consistent.  Not just from ship to ship, but from shift to shift within the same ship.  So we do not know if you will be able to slip the bottles into your suitcase and bring them on-board, or if you will have to surrender them either for destruction or to be held and released to you at the end of the cruise.  

My BET is that if you pack it in your suitcase, it will either be passed on or held by security (you get called into the Naughty Room) for the duration of the cruise, but that it will not be destroyed (by being guzzled by the crew!!).  Especially if it is an unusual gin.

• Like 1

Section 5, paragraph 3 of the cruise contract reads as follows:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

Whether Princess enforces this or not is unpredictable. You may be able to tell them the alcohol is not for consumption on board (first sentence) however the sentence that begins with "At embarkation" is much less forgiving, and IMHO creates some of the ambiguity you've seen in other answers. You can certainly try to bring the gin on board but if they confiscate it and dump it, I don't think you have any recourse.

BTW, for those who think the crew enjoys the confiscated alcohol, don't. Think of the legal exposure Princess would have if this was the case. Princess won't accept that kind of legal risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Section 5, paragraph 3 of the cruise contract reads as follows:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

Whether Princess enforces this or not is unpredictable. You may be able to tell them the alcohol is not for consumption on board (first sentence) however the sentence that begins with "At embarkation" is much less forgiving, and IMHO creates some of the ambiguity you've seen in other answers. You can certainly try to bring the gin on board but if they confiscate it and dump it, I don't think you have any recourse.

BTW, for those who think the crew enjoys the confiscated alcohol, don't. Think of the legal exposure Princess would have if this was the case. Princess won't accept that kind of legal risk.

Thanks. I'll have to contact someone at Princess to get it clarified.

Or I'll just forget the gins I was going to bring on. Probably could get away with it but I'm not wealthy enough to afford the risk of losing them. 

• Haha 1