Evening Dress code in the "public areas" on the Seaside

sb1961

I will be traveling (hopefully) later this month on the Seaside, with several friends.  Most of us live in FL and basically live in shorts, year round,  It's one of the reasons we live here!  While a number of the women are looking forward to "dressing up"  the same cannot necessarily be said for the men.  I see that the dress code for the ship says that shorts and tee shirts are not allowed in the "public" areas in the evening.   Is that enforced? and if so, what do they consider "public areas"?  Any place where others can see us, or entertainment / dining venues / bars? I don't expect to change anybody's mind re: what they will plan to pack, or wear, but it might help us as a group for planning if we know that several members won't be joining us......

The only place shorts will be a problem is in the MDR at dinner, and you will probably see a few slip by in there anyway.  On the rest of the ship you will see many not following the suggested guidelines.

The reality of a dress code varies with each sailing. I found the Seaside a bit dressier with even a few tuxes. Many men wore sport shirts, even on formal night. You can leave your cocktail dresses and ballgowns  at home unless that is your thing. The captain doesn't have photo ops on formal nights and those evenings weren't all that special. 

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The reality of a dress code varies with each sailing. I found the Seaside a bit dressier with even a few tuxes. Many men wore sport shirts, even on formal night. You can leave your cocktail dresses and ballgowns  at home unless that is your thing. The captain doesn't have photo ops on formal nights and those evenings weren't all that special. 

Maybe you missed it, or it somehow didn't happen on your sailing (s), but in our 4 different Seaside Sailings, there most definitely was a major photo op/meet and greet with the Captain, on the first Elegant night every time, on deck near the Champagne Bar, overlooking the atrium... full line up, photographer, etc. Major deal. Some people were dressed all up, some much more casual, but the opportunity was there 

31 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Maybe you missed it, or it somehow didn't happen on your sailing (s), but in our 4 different Seaside Sailings, there most definitely was a major photo op/meet and greet with the Captain, on the first Elegant night every time, on deck near the Champagne Bar, overlooking the atrium... full line up, photographer, etc. Major deal. Some people were dressed all up, some much more casual, but the opportunity was there 

Agreed...sailed Seaside 2x and saw the same thing. Most recently last month.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We were on Seaside for two weeks in January.  I saw very few people in shorts in the evening; most of those were teen girls who did "cute" rather than adults doing "casual".

I was there in Feb and definitely saw mixed of all ages. After dinner I changed back into shorts every night and there were definitely plenty of others who did the same.

This might also be a function of the places on the ship you frequent too.

Regardless, as many have said, you will be fine in shorts.

The no shorts in the MDR was definitely enforced on our two sailings with MSC. In fact, I watched a really nicely dressed older guy in ironed golf khaki shorts and a matching polo get turned away but another guy with cheap jeans and a biker t shirt go into the MDR just fine. 

The code varies. Last year, we saw a guy in shorts get turned away on the Divina, then on the Grandiosa in the Med, we saw men in shorts, sandals and Harley Davidson t-shirts. The Seaside seemed a bit more formal, but men in shorts were allowed this past Feb. 2020. Perhaps the two different dining rooms have different standards with different managers?

On Seaside now.  Haven’t seen shorts in the dining room but they are worn else where during the evening.

i also want to add that there is heavy participation for “White Night”.  It looked like 95 % of the passengers wore white on that night.  It really was a lot of fun.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, sb1961 said:

I will be traveling (hopefully) later this month on the Seaside, with several friends.  Most of us live in FL and basically live in shorts, year round,  It's one of the reasons we live here!  While a number of the women are looking forward to "dressing up"  the same cannot necessarily be said for the men.  I see that the dress code for the ship says that shorts and tee shirts are not allowed in the "public" areas in the evening.   Is that enforced? and if so, what do they consider "public areas"?  Any place where others can see us, or entertainment / dining venues / bars? I don't expect to change anybody's mind re: what they will plan to pack, or wear, but it might help us as a group for planning if we know that several members won't be joining us......

I was thinking for our 3/21 sailing everything would be more casual with it being Spring Break (Spring Break IS all about casual!).  We were on Seaside last fall and we did dress up twice... BUT, hubby does not want to bring a suit again -- took up too much room.  He will just wear casual pants and golf type shirt.  You just cannot wear shorts in the main dining room - but you can in the buffet areas.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, neptuno said:

MSC sailings in  the Carib are much more informal.  However, on Formal Nights, do not wear short to the MDR.

ub

Been on Seaside twice and there is no dress code. Shorts were allowed in the MDR on formal nights. Asked about that and was told MSC did NOT want to cause a problem. Times have changed. 

On 3/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, sb1961 said:

sb161,

Just got off the Seaside 2/29-3/7 sailing.

Shorts are acceptable throughout the ship 24/7, except the MDR's and Specialty restaurants for dinner. 

I wore shorts daily and only put pants on for dinner. 

Hell, shorts were allowed in the YC restaurant for breakfast and lunch. 

I also saw a couple of men in the MDR with shorts on for dinner, so I guess it all depends on MSC personnel enforcing their own policy.

In summary, feel free to wear shorts everywhere and give it a shot for dinner in the MDR's.

Go to the Mirimar Bar on deck 19 Aft. Ask for Ray, Jesus or Mark. Best bartenders on the ship. Tell them Joe & Erin sent you. 

Enjoy your cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe