Will HAL now match Princess' new virus cancellation policy?

DaveOKC

4 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

I'm also interested.  Our cruise leaves on 3/18, cruise plus  Southwest Airlines.

We normally book Southwest but the schedule was bad for us.... I am kicking myself for not going with my gut. JetBlue is great.... if you don't run into issues. Otherwise... to bad, so sad.

Edited by fatcat04

I think this is what HAL has:

On bookings made from March 1 through April 30, 2020, for sailings up to October 15, 2020, your clients may cancel for any reason and receive their full deposit and any fees back as a Future Cruise Credit (up to 30 days before departure; additional restrictions apply). In addition, this offer combines with all of our promotions, including the “Pack These Values” promotion, giving them even more reasons to book their cruise vacation with you today!

Pack These Values! Book select 2020 cruises or Land+Sea Journeys and receive valuable offers*:

Free gratuities

Free or reduced kids’ fares (taxes, fees and port expenses are additional)

Deposits from $99

Suites get up to US$300 onboard spending money

Book an ocean-view stateroom or better by March 22 and receive a Holland America Line Gift Card, up to US$200 per stateroom.

Nothing about those who already booked and are in cancellation penalty...

16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I posted this on another thread. HAL sent this link in an email yesterday:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html

The attached document  read:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
      Ships' Registry: The Netherlands
Page 1 of 2
We are closely monitoring the situation with COVID-19 (coronavirus) and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. For the most-up- to-date health advisory and list of boarding restrictions, please visit:
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory.html
Please check this page frequently for updates, and if you or your client are subject to any of the restrictions, please contact us with proof of travel for
a full refund. All guests will be subject to pre-boarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the
next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. Due to changing events, it is possible that entry requirements for the countries on your cruise may
change and your itinerary may be modified or some guests may be required to stay on board. We may change requirements to safeguard our guests and crew.

This looks similar to what I received from Cunard about my May crossing. 

The airline and cruise policies about waiving change fees look to me like a way to encourage new bookings, not so much helping people with existing bookings.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kilkennygirl said:

My TA just called HAL and the answer was No, they have no problems with their ships, so no cancellation changes.

That is just a crazy response!  Sure hope they change their minds soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kilkennygirl said:

My TA just called HAL and the answer was No, they have no problems with their ships, so no cancellation changes.

19 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

That is just a crazy response!  Sure hope they change their minds soon.

It certainly is - Absolutely a ridiculous response.  RCCL, Carnival, Crystal and Viking have no problems with their ships either and have cancellation changes in place.

It’s only around 8 am in Seattle I think?  If a decision is being announced today, most likely most HAL people don’t know until it’s announced.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kilkennygirl said:

That is a ridiculous response (I am assuming from some know nothing peon at a phone bank in the bowels of some call center) in light of the proactive actions of other cruise lines who have also thus far suffered no coronavirus cases onboard. 

14 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

In case your link doesn’t work for some (didn’t for me - I got an empty page?), here is another one with the story:

https://wsau.com/news/articles/2020/mar/06/exclusive-us-considering-discouraging-some-travelers-from-cruises-sources/992012/?refer-section=national

13 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

Oh, interesting. So they are trying to get ahead of what could be a huge mess. If the folks at HAL had the sense God gave a goose, they would jump on this bandwagon. 

6 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Oh, interesting. So they are trying to get ahead of what could be a huge mess. If the folks at HAL had the sense God gave a goose, they would jump on this bandwagon. 

Maybe the government will force an even better offer from the cruiselines - something like full CASH refund plus maybe compensation to cover airfares???

• Like 2

I just have to wonder what is going to happen.  It is our present plan to stick with our cruise - some extra OBC or an upgrade would be nice.  We booked our return flights privately and the insurance was exorbitant - the insurer insisted they had to insure us for the entire time we were out of Canada, not just for the flights - so we self-insured...  If we did decide to cancel the cruise, we would probably fly to England, anyway, just to use our return flights!😎

Of course, if the CDC or WHO make an announcement that it is unsafe to travel - and Canada posts travel restrictions, we would follow the rules.  We are pretty old, so at greater risk, although we have no major health problems.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Kilkennygirl said:

ummmm... I wonder why the Westerdam is going to be docked sitting empty in Juneau for a couple of months ? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

ummmm... I wonder why the Westerdam is going to be docked sitting empty in Juneau for a couple of months ? 

Exactly what I was going to point out -- further - the Princess ships, Diamond and Grand, are under the Carnival CORP umbrella.

I just talked with my HAL PCC.  She said that HAL is not following the other lines on this.  However, if I could send in a letter from my doctor saying that I should not cruise at this time, they MIGHT let me off.

I am not happy at this point with HAL.  Will wait until next week and see if anything develops before pressing the issue,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRUZBUDS said:

From what I read in a HAL Statement it's going to be sitting for 3 - 4  weeks until the AK Season starts up. 

4 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

From what I read in a HAL Statement it's going to be sitting for 3 - 4  weeks until the AK Season starts up. 

I think they decided it wasn't worth the scramble to find substitute ports. Just cancel those cruises and cut their losses. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I just talked with my HAL PCC.  She said that HAL is not following the other lines on this.  However, if I could send in a letter from my doctor saying that I should not cruise at this time, they MIGHT let me off.

I am not happy at this point with HAL.  Will wait until next week and see if anything develops before pressing the issue,

If this holds trues it’s a terrible PR decision by HAL. Loyal customers are going to flock to their competitors who have shown compassion to their customers. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Does your PCC have a connection to the “upper echelon” at HAL?

If HAL doesn’t do something fast they are going to lose a lot of cruisers.  No one knows what the future holds with this thing and to do this to people is cruel IMO.

I’m sorry if I sound grouchy but I am like an elephant and I don’t forget.

I am astounded that they are not following the other lines.  I lay the blame on Orlando A$$ford.  I think he wants to lose the loyal cruisers and he will succeed.  I know what the rules are, cancellation penalties, etc.  But this is an exceptional circumstance.  

To not realize or appreciate it is beyond belief.    

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

If this holds trues it’s a terrible PR decision by HAL. Loyal customers are going to flock to their competitors who have shown compassion to their customers. 

I feel a bit better now - I called the HAL main number and talked to a very nice man (Jack) who explained that right now the current cancellation policy is in effect, but that he saw the letters that Princess and Carnival both put out, so he expected HAL to follow suit, perhaps by Monday.  He was very professional and reassuring, but of course could not promise anything at this point.  So, I guess we just have to wait.........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I feel a bit better now - I called the HAL main number and talked to a very nice man (Jack) who explained that right now the current cancellation policy is in effect, but that he saw the letters that Princess and Carnival both put out, so he expected HAL to follow suit, perhaps by Monday.  He was very professional and reassuring, but of course could not promise anything at this point.  So, I guess we just have to wait.........

Ha My Cruise leaves Sunday.   To little to late!