First Cruise with Regent

Angus16

We are really looking forward to our very first Regent cruise on the Splendor departing from Barcelona on May 28th!

We received a letter this morning informing us that we have the option of cancelling our cruise and re-booking in 2020-2021. 

Boy, this is going to be a hard decision to make!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Angus16 said:

We are really looking forward to our very first Regent cruise on the Splendor departing from Barcelona on May 28th!

We received a letter this morning informing us that we have the option of cancelling our cruise and re-booking in 2020-2021. 

Did they offer a full refund, or just a credit for a future sailing?

We sail on MSC in April to UK, France, Spain & Germany.  I am hoping we are offered a refund.  I definitely wouldn't rebook anything sailing in Europe in 2020 - too risky still.

The offer is a credit for a future sailing during 2020-2021. 

We still really would love to do this cruise!!!!! We have 30 days prior to departure to decide. Hmmm...……..

5 minutes ago, Angus16 said:

The offer is a credit for a future sailing during 2020-2021. 

We still really would love to do this cruise!!!!! We have 30 days prior to departure to decide. Hmmm...……..

Thanks for letting me know.  I think if they have to cancel the cruise they will have to give a refund so perhaps they are hoping people will take the rebooking offer.  I think the ports in Italy will be closed to cruise ships before May.   

Regent is an excellent line and I'm sure you will love cruising with them.  Best wishes!

4 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

This offer is across the board for all upcoming sailings. We have a cruise in April that has no ports in affected areas, and we received the offer as well. We are not cancelling.

Very interesting.  I wonder what is going on?  We are booked on the Splendor but not until April 2022.  

I’m sure that Regent is making a business decision to help stem the cancellations and at least keep the revenue coming later in the year or next year vs giving refunds. We have a cruise booked in September 2020 and if things are still unsettled by the May final payment deadline we will cancel our September cruise and get our full refund, minus The $100. 

The offer extends to cruises through November 1, 2020 for now. Here is the content of the generalized email. I may have gotten it a bit earlier than others because my 30 days runs out tomorrow:

I want to personally update you on Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ response to the current global health environment. Like you, I read and watch stories about the rising numbers of those infected by coronavirus and wish a quick and full recovery to those impacted. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling – especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

First and foremost, our priority is always the safety of our guests and crew. At Regent, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do. As such, I want to share information to help you understand what measures we have taken, so you feel confident about sailing with Regent.

Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2021. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

We know that challenging times like this require decisive and carefully thought-out actions. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols quickly and as often as necessary, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family.

Even during these times, we remain optimistic. Guests are praising our newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor, with rave reviews. Our guests continue to enjoy their sailings across our fleet, as traveling and exploring the world remain important to our guests. I myself am sailing on Seven Seas Splendor on March 12 and March 30, and on Seven Seas Explorer® on June 11, and I look forward to hopefully seeing many of you on board.

Thank you for being such an important member of our Regent family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Sincerely,

Jason Montague

Jason Montague
President & CEO
Regent Seven Seas Cruises

4 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I’m sure that Regent is making a business decision to help stem the cancellations and at least keep the revenue coming later in the year or next year vs giving refunds. We have a cruise booked in September 2020 and if things are still unsettled by the May final payment deadline we will cancel our September cruise and get our full refund, minus The $100. 

We’re taking a different approach. If Regent doesn’t cancel our October 2020 cruise it will be because they consider it safe. We are planning to follow their lead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus16 said:

Angus16.

The good news is that you have until April 28 to decide.  No doubt, by that time there will be a ton of more information, either positive or negative, that will bear on your decision, so no need to decide now. I hope that you will be able to take the cruise, Regent is a great  line, but if not, then sometime in the future.

FWIW, I am in jeb_bud's camp, if the ship is sailing, I will be on it!

Bob

These responses have been excellent and have given me a lot to think about.

I am eternally optimistic, and have read through the Regent Reassurance  details.

I'd feel very confident thinking that a cruise line such as this would fully cancel, if they thought the crew and passengers were not going to be safe. It is a chance to take no matter what. I just came off a Blues Cruise with no issues whatsoever. 

We are in excellent health and do not want to defer this trip in May. 

• Thanks 1

Strongly believe in what Bob posted.  Things change rapidly and you will have a much better idea of what is happening in the world by April 28th than you do now.  If I had to make that decision now, I would go.  If you take the FCC and Regent ends up cancelling the cruise (which they would only do for a darn good reason), those passengers that have not cancelled will receive a refund.

Edited by Travelcat2

I understand the different perspectives on this topic and everyone should make their decision based on their personal situation. I believe (or at least hope) that this virus is “old news” by May, when I have to make my final payment for an upcoming cruise.  I don’t cruise often, so I would prefer to take the refund and have the flexibility to use the money I have set aside for my 2020 cruise, for a cruise of my choice in 2021 or beyond vs having a time limit to use the credit. I salute Regent’s proactive approach which is both a smart business decision to try and stem cancellations but also a very good customer service action. 

20 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

The offer extends to cruises through November 1, 2020 for now. Here is the content of the generalized email. I may have gotten it a bit earlier than others because my 30 days runs out tomorrow:

I want to personally update you on Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ response to the current global health environment. Like you, I read and watch stories about the rising numbers of those infected by coronavirus and wish a quick and full recovery to those impacted. With so much information coming from around the world very quickly, some may feel uneasy about traveling – especially if you have a voyage scheduled to sail during the next several months.

First and foremost, our priority is always the safety of our guests and crew. At Regent, our extended family of guests and crew is always at the center of everything we do. As such, I want to share information to help you understand what measures we have taken, so you feel confident about sailing with Regent.

Accordingly, we are introducing Regent Reassurance. For all voyages embarking April 3, 2020, through November 1, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 30 days prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new booking within one year on any Regent voyage sailing in 2020-2021. We hope Regent Reassurance gives you the additional time, if needed, to evaluate conditions and help you feel confident in your decision to sail on your currently booked Regent voyage or to sail on a future one.

We know that challenging times like this require decisive and carefully thought-out actions. Our Chief Medical Officer maintains constant contact with relevant local, federal and global agencies to ensure we have timely information to maintain and enhance our stringent protocols quickly and as often as necessary, which we believe are among the most comprehensive in the travel industry. We have been highly successful in maintaining a healthy environment on board our ships, and the comprehensive set of preventative actions put in place will help us ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew.

Please know that our team is working tirelessly to navigate through these ever-changing circumstances – because our priority is to take care of you, our extended family.

Even during these times, we remain optimistic. Guests are praising our newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor, with rave reviews. Our guests continue to enjoy their sailings across our fleet, as traveling and exploring the world remain important to our guests. I myself am sailing on Seven Seas Splendor on March 12 and March 30, and on Seven Seas Explorer® on June 11, and I look forward to hopefully seeing many of you on board.

Thank you for being such an important member of our Regent family. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Sincerely,

Jason Montague

Jason Montague
President & CEO
Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Hope that you have read the Regent letter that supersedes this one.  You can now cancel within 72 hours of the cruise for 100% FCC.  Additionally (just read about this an hour ago), if you are booked on one of the 6 or 7 itineraries that go to Rome in April/May that have been altered, you will receive at 25% FCC just for taking the cruise.

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hope that you have read the Regent letter that supersedes this one.  You can now cancel within 72 hours of the cruise for 100% FCC.  Additionally (just read about this an hour ago), if you are booked on one of the 6 or 7 itineraries that go to Rome in April/May that have been altered, you will receive at 25% FCC just for taking the cruise.

TC - new Reassurance is 48 hours, not 72. For all sailings through September 2020.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound

49 minutes ago, Angus16 said:

I better check for this letter since I have not seen it and this is all new. Thanks so much!!!!

look on the Regent site near the bottom under Regent Reassurance

I'm wondering if they are working on changing the itinerary. 

My concern is also not being able to disembark and visit these ports. 

We are sitting tight and awaiting updates. 

At this point, missing ports would be my biggest concern.  And that’s looking more like a real possibility every day.

If it was just my wife and I wed probably still go, but we were taking this trip with our daughter as a “welcome home from Afghanistan“ trip.  It would be her first trip to Europe and it wouldn’t make sense to go all the way over and then not see any sights.  If we were just staying on board we could do a TA or the Caribbean for less $$.