Venice embarkation May

suec12

We are booked on a cruise (and hope to go) that embarks in Venice mid May. However HAL has a notice (sorry, I can't link) that cruisers cannot board (thru May 31st) if they have traveled (or been in contact with individuals) from China, South Korea, Iran, Lombardy and Veneto within the 14 previous days. At least that is how I read it. So how can we fly into Venice and board our ship????? Am I mis-understanding something? Maybe someone could post a link to the notice for me, I'll try but my computer skills are sad. But I think I am correct in reasoning that it would seem no way the ship can sail fom Venice / embark passengers there? Thoughts?

Isn't Venice in the Veneto region? Thank you so much for posting the link!

Oh maybe the key phrase is "lockdown areas within" - I guess only some cities / areas in Lombardy and Veneto are locked down?

Edited by suec12

State Department issued a Level 4 warning-Do Not Travel to Lombardy and Veneto-on March 5th.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Airlines are adjusting flights to the region.

Following elevated U.S. State Department travel guidance, Delta is temporarily suspending its daily flight between New York - John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP). Service to and from Milan will resume starting on June 1 and June 2, respectively.

Delta's summer seasonal service between JFK and Venice, previously scheduled to begin May 1, will now begin on June 2.

https://news.delta.com/update-delta-adjusts-italy-flying

Who knows if this will this change by the time of your cruise.  

veneto.PNG

uh-oh.....so if HAL does embark in Venice which is in the Level 4 Do not Travel region?  but maybe not in the "lockdown" area, would my travel health insurance then be void?  That's not working for me.😔

Isn't it obvious that HAL will not cruise from an area that the State Department has listed as a Level 4 DO NOT TRAVEL and Delta has cancelled all flights?

Something would have to change between now and then......Right?

• Like 1

I agree that at this moment there is an inconsistency and that HAL will either have to 1) change your embarkation port, if they feel the DO NOT TRAVEL advisory won't be lifted, or 2) the advisory will be lifted or downgraded.

They will not embark in Venice while at the same time telling you that you cannot embark if you have been in Venice!

Many, many changes are in the cards at the moment. I'm sure this is one they are considering/working on. 

• Like 1

We are booked on the Zuiderdam from Fort Lauderdale to Rome in April.  If I were betting, I would say the Zuiderdam will not be going to Europe at all this summer.  With all the cancellations, it makes no sense to try to fill last minute itineraries in this climate of fear.

Personally, I would not contemplate visiting Italy for the next few months. For some reason it seems to have developed into the European Hotspot and the mortality rate is much higher than other countries.

In the UK we have 160 cases,  up from 29 in one week, so it is obvious that the wretched thing is getting a hold. 
Give Europe a miss this year!

Italy had 1247 new cases yesterday.  I doubt that any ship is going to be heading to that part of the world anytime soon.   I’m thinking that HAL is not making any announcement about the Zuiderdam because there are no plans as of yet. 

4 hours ago, JeremyTexas said:

We are booked on the Zuiderdam from Fort Lauderdale to Rome in April.  If I were betting, I would say the Zuiderdam will not be going to Europe at all this summer.  With all the cancellations, it makes no sense to try to fill last minute itineraries in this climate of fear.

I fear you may be right.

The climate of fear aka panic-demic has overtaken the world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree that at this moment there is an inconsistency and that HAL will either have to 1) change your embarkation port, if they feel the DO NOT TRAVEL advisory won't be lifted, or 2) the advisory will be lifted or downgraded.

They will not embark in Venice while at the same time telling you that you cannot embark if you have been in Venice!

Many, many changes are in the cards at the moment. I'm sure this is one they are considering/working on.