Obvious question for some but not for me .

ohnonotmeagain

Just thinking ahead.Booked and paid for,on credit card if that makes a difference,a budget flight to Vancouver from London.Non refundable.

However,if the airline cancel the flight due to travel restrictions, if/when that happens .Do I get a refund? What normally happens or because these are exceptional circumstances we will just have to wait and see .

Just random  musings in bed!!

It's going to depend on the airline and the Laws of the country that airline follows. But, generally,  if the airline totally cancels, or makes such a drastic change your travel options are nil, a cash refund is more likely than if you cancel or change a flight. At least from our experience. 

• Thanks 1

If the airline has to cancel the flight and you don't wish to continue your travels, you will get either a refund or a credit. Generally it's a refund if the cancellation is within the control of the airline (e.g. mechanical fault), and a credit if it's beyond the control of the airline (e.g. weather).

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 4:01 PM, ohnonotmeagain said:

Just thinking ahead.Booked and paid for,on credit card if that makes a difference,a budget flight to Vancouver from London.Non refundable.

However,if the airline cancel the flight due to travel restrictions, if/when that happens .Do I get a refund? What normally happens or because these are exceptional circumstances we will just have to wait and see .

Just random  musings in bed!!

Not certain who your flying with. 

Non-stop from London would be British Airways, Air Canada, WestJet or AirTransat.  If the flight is cancelled you will be given a choice of rebooked (at the airlines expense) or a full refund.  

IF the airline cancels and they rebook they will generally have a preference for your to fly on the same airline, if the schedule does not work and you push, they will in most cases book your onto a competing  airline.  

BA and Air Canada are out of Heathrow while WestJet and AirTransat are out of Gatwick.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I am on Air Transat due to start cruise. I can see that being cancelled, thus not needing the flight. However not sure that we would need them in the future IF we couldn't get the same itinerary/dates,even if we got a credit. 

BLOODY virus!@#$%

Even if TS cancel flights from YVR-LGW (unlikely), they will offer you either other routings or other days.  They're not going to outright cancel everything

15 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I am on Air Transat due to start cruise. I can see that being cancelled, thus not needing the flight. However not sure that we would need them in the future IF we couldn't get the same itinerary/dates,even if we got a credit. 

BLOODY virus!@#$%

If you want to do your cruise hopefully your cruise goes ahead as planned.  Just yesterday the Port of Vancouver announced that the port is open as normal.   However things are changing quickly. 

Air Transat has announced more liberal cancellation polices.  https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/book/book-with-peace-of-mind

If they do cancel or reschedule the flight and the new time does not work for you I would push them to move you over to WestJet.  WestJet also flies the same route from the same London airport.   

• Thanks 1