US State Department urging not to cruise

China is checking temps of every person before they enter any store. Perhaps they should do temp checks on all passengers entering eating facilities? They really must step it up for the short term. I think I heard Pence say that passengers who have symptoms would be airlifted as soon as possible from ships moving forward? I do believe they are taking necessary steps to hopefully prevent another quarantined ship.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vegascosmogirl said:

I cruise next month and I’m wondering how likely it is my cruise will be canceled, even if I decide to go.

I wouldn't sweat it, just keep your eyes open on knee jerk decisions from the state department. It's sad how they've overreacted with all of this without due consideration and totally ignored the airline travel industry and went straight for the cruise industry.

• Like 3

It's sad how they've overreacted with all of this without due consideration and totally ignored the airline travel industry and went straight for the cruise industry.

I was just saying this!! Or how about public transportation? At least on a Royal ship you see people actively cleaning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

...I felt like the statements that were issued basically made it sound like there's the potential for "no guarantee for help" if this continues and I totally get it, but it sure sheds a different light on the situation. 

With that said, I checked our cruise today and there are SO MANY suite categories available now - I guess people are starting to act on cancelling. And yes, it makes me want to try for an upgrade even though I don't know what we'll end up doing 🤪 I hope the next week or two provide some more perspective. 

• Like 2

On Friday, the Canadian federal chief medical officer and the B.C. Health minister both strongly discouraged Canadians from going on a cruise. The travel advisory said that there may not be evacuations for Canadians like was done from China and Japan. Obviously California was quite easy, but the government will not want to keep spending money on flights.

And now, the federal government travel advisory is ‘Avoid all cruise travel’.

The government may pass along the cost of evacuations to cruise passengers.

I read more on this tread or see on the news that there are more sailings of the Norovirus, but that doesn't stop people from going.  The rates are low and it seems to be all Princess Cruise Line ships.  It is good to take caution, but hopefully this will make the cruise lines and people that go on them a little more proactive when it comes to washing hands and crew wiping down area's better.  I take Elderberry everyday and it does seem to help, so people need to start taking it along with practicing good hygiene.  I hope it slows down because I have a ship to board on April 11th!!!! 

2 hours ago, uksaint said:

That is not exactly what he announced -  it is a nationwide ban on public gatherings along with the advice that the best course of action for everyone is probably to stay home.

Misrepresenting statements in an over-dramatic fashion is not what anyone needs right now. 

Here is the story

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51810673

Quotes from the story if you don't care to follow the link:

Mr Conte described the measures as "I stay home" - with people forbidden to assemble in public. (*a bit more strict than advice as you called it)

"No more nightlife; we can't allow this anymore since they are occasions for contagion," he said.

The restrictions are similar to those earlier applied to the worst affected Lombardy region, and 14 other provinces.

A bit more strict than you are representing. Misrepresenting statement in an under-dramatic fashion isn't what anyone needs right now either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

Here is the story

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51810673

Quotes from the story if you don't care to follow the link:

Mr Conte described the measures as "I stay home" - with people forbidden to assemble in public. (*a bit more strict than advice as you called it)

"No more nightlife; we can't allow this anymore since they are occasions for contagion," he said.

The restrictions are similar to those earlier applied to the worst affected Lombardy region, and 14 other provinces.

A bit more strict than you are representing. Misrepresenting statement in an under-dramatic fashion isn't what anyone needs right now either.

yes - the bbc have expanded on the story since the news first broke. Nonetheless, italians are free to go to work, to go about their necessary daily business, but forbidden to gather in public places or engage in air travel without justification.

these are some stringent measures for sure, but I still maintain that a statement such as '60m people in quarantine' was over the top.

Edited by uksaint
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

How fun is a cruise if being denied entry to ports ? 
I personally think the next two weeks will be a make or break for the cruise lines as far as new policy change goes. As someone mentioned it’s not so much about getting sick but being quarantined, that’s where I’m at. 
This is a discussion board and it’s nice to see people’s take on it but truth be told nobody here knows anything as far as what going to happen.

People have to do what they feel is right for them bottom line. As far as my April cruises I’ll wait right up to the 48 hours to decide. 

I agree that waiting could be the best move. We too have an April cruise. Yes, Royal Caribbean has a generous cancellation plan. My waiting is for 2 reasons. First if things get worse and the cruise is in fact cancelled, we would get a refund rather than the FCC. Second, if the cruise is cancelled our flight would then be covered under trip cancellation/interruption insurance. Right now you can’t cancel a non cruiseline purchased air because you fear getting a virus and have cancelled a cruise. I will not wait until 48 hours though.  For logistical reasons, I will wait until 1 week before. To make things simpler I have already cancelled tours, Internet, transfers etc. so I won’t forget.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyguyjake said:
Administration officials have debated whether to effectively ban Americans' use of cruise ships for the duration of the crisis, another individual said, which could include steps to limit cruise ships’ access to U.S. waters.

My, that would be drastic!

13 hours ago, royal girl said:

We have until May 1 to cancel.   But as of right now, not looking good!  I think the 48 cancel thing is only good on cruises through July?

What is this 48 cancel thing you are talking about through July?

21 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

If a person comes to the ER with flu like symptoms are they isolated? Just curious.

In my ER they are but not in the whole body spacesuit gear you see cdc workers wearing on tv.  Staff wash their hands entering and leaving the room and wear gloves, a mask and cover gown.  If the patient has to leave the room for any reason, a mask is put on them to prevent spread by droplet contamination (sneezing, coughing) and a cover gown is draped over them.