Canadians - what are you doing now that we're being advised not to cruise

51 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

Final payment is March 30th for a Euro cruise this June. I suspect we will cancel if things proceed as they are but content to wait until then to see how this plays out over the next 2-3 weeks.  Right now Italy and Spain are the primary countries we would be visiting and they both are getting hit hard. 

did you see this article? https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-restrictions-200310050125680.html

We were about to book the Symphony for May. Now not so sure. We own a small busines so if we were to be quarantine it would be a problem for us. Not scare of the virus itself as we are healthy. Also the insurance is now a problem. Not cover if the government issue a warning.

4 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

What am I doing?

Watching for deals to book at a discount...... sadly the CAD plummet might offset any price drops.......

its lost 3 cents or $3 on a hundred, I doubt that's going to make much of a difference.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

its lost 3 cents or $3 on a hundred, I doubt that's going to make much of a difference.

Short term sure........ but I'm talking more than just today/yesterday, and it ain't done falling yet.

Heck, how long ago was it we were booking "at par" - 5 years? 

Edit - now I think about it, that was 5+ years ago. Geez time flies.

Edited by NateUpNorth

1 minute ago, NateUpNorth said:

Short term sure........ but I'm talking more than just today/yesterday, and it ain't done falling yet.

Heck, how long ago was it we were booking "at par" - 5 years? 

Edit - now I think about it, that was 5+ years ago. Geez time flies.

Time does fly.

Don't forget that Royals currency rates do not change daily.  You can still book now under the same rates that they have been using for the past couple months  

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Time does fly.

Don't forget that Royals currency rates do not change daily.  You can still book now under the same rates that they have been using for the past couple months  

I did not know that, thanks!

We're booked Southern Caribbean in December already but watching to see if some big price drops start coming in the next month or so to upgrade that cabin and we're certainly not opposed to booking something for Feb/Mar! 

Granted that's fairly far out but you never know..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

I find it amusing that cruises are being singled out as if shutting down would make any difference. 

Magic Kingdom at Disney has 50,000 -60,000 + people per day there. People in very close contact, more so than a cruise, and touching everything. Yet no calls to shut down theme parks. 🧐

Exactly. Then there's public transportation (busses, subway, etc) - in Toronto alone the TTC has a ridership of 1.69 million per day! But cruising is bad🤨

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Exactly. Then there's public transportation (busses, subway, etc) - in Toronto alone the TTC has a ridership of 1.69 million per day! But cruising is bad🤨

Lol I live in Toronto and its been amusing as the subway has felt a little emptier these days. Employers recommending to try and keep your distance from people on the subway...haha like not really normally possible at rush hour 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, burlybear said:

Lol I live in Toronto and its been amusing as the subway has felt a little emptier these days. Employers recommending to try and keep your distance from people on the subway...haha like not really normally possible at rush hour 

Yeah, I lived there for a few years - rush hour is nuts!

2 hours ago, dssking said:

Sorry about your luck.  However, Canadians were not "TOLD" not to cruise.  It has been suggested..... 

It was recommended by our Federal Government.  This is from the website:

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

Cruise passengers include travellers from around the world who may be arriving from areas with known or unknown spread of COVID-19. The virus can spread quickly on board cruises due to the close contact between passengers. Older people and people with a weakened immune system or underlying medical condition are at a higher risk of developing severe disease.

Recent cruise ship outbreaks of COVID-19 indicate that a large number of individuals onboard can become infected. While the majority of affected passengers may experience mild symptoms, there have been a significant number of cases requiring hospitalization and critical care, and some deaths have been reported.

16 minutes ago, Fisherwoman said:

It was recommended by our Federal Government.  This is from the website:

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is recommending that Canadians avoid all cruise ship travel due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

As you posted, only a recommendation.  It's a glorified version of the flu.  Look at the mortality rates - no worse than the flu.  Those who are dying are older, and have had other things wrong with them.

There are many signs now posted everywhere that you are to wash you hands.  Since when is washing your hands a NEW THING?  If you're not washing your hands and following what most would believe are COMMONSENSE practices, then you deserve what you get.  It's called THINNING OF THE HERD.  

16 hours ago, archer_310 said:

My wife's a teacher.  I don't know if she'd get paid if we had to do quarantine because "officially" Canadians have been told not to cruise. 

From what my teacher friend says, after your wife exhausts her 11 sick days at 100%, she can then tap into the 180 some days she has at 85%.  If she didn't get paid I'm sure her union would have a field day with this.

• Like 1

We have a Baltic cruise booked in August and have no intention of cancelling.  I work for a living and if quarantined not sure if I will be paid.  We are in our mid 50's and healthy.  So the only thing that would stop us if the airline or cruise line cancelled.  Just a note, if we did have a cruise in the coming weeks, we would not cancel.

Wash your hands often, Lysol wipe your plane seat and cabin.  Carry disinfectant wipes and use them often especially if you touch something.  Avoid touching your eyes or face. 

We are not Canadians...but my 2 cents.

We just got home from our Harmony cruise out of Pt Canaveral on Sunday. Boarding was the same as always with questions about where we had been. they didn't check passports or anything. The screenings are not what you think. We were relieved that there were no issues and we were able to port during our cruise(except Costa Maya due to high winds) but being said...we were both glad to be home and glad our cruise was before the US sees an explosion of cases like other countries. We had very rough seas on our cruise due to weather and I would not have wanted to miss ports OR be quarantined on the ship....even with a balcony.

We were also glad to be out of the airports. We were cautious and washed our hands, wipes....all that we could. 

We are Diamond cruisers and at this point would NOT cruise in the next few months. Just not worth the worry or chance. If its rebookable...do it. also we tried to rebook our trip 2 days before we left...RCCL said no money back so we had no choice. the new refunds went into effect the week we were on the ship. 

Just to make you think....we found out that the day we flew out some Covid positive people flew thru the same terminal we did in Phoenix the day before we left. There are also some reported cases of workers in FLL. We are healthy 53 yr olds so less worry was more about quarantine, missing ports, and our dogs/house and costs if we got stuck.

Edited by minnie00

The Canadian government is a joke. I wouldn’t let any of It’s words Have any impact on my vacation and decisions. I am absolutely safer on a cruise ship than Canadian public transit. On a recent 

direct flight into Vancouver from Tehran Iranian passengers  weren’t  even asked rudimentary questions about Coronavirus.

Canadian govt. is  more concerned about being politically correct. They can’t possibly be perceived as being racist And profiling people from high-risk areas. Prime Minister Skippy is far more interested in virtue signaling than he is about protecting Canadians. Go on your cruise, have fun. Nothing the Canadian government does should impact that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The Canadian government isnt even restricting travel from China or Iran. They certainly not going to restrict you coming back to Canada from United States. 

You are most likely correct! HOWEVER, when will the concern and generosity wear off for those who have purposely travelled on a cruise ship knowing full well that they could potentially need to be repatriated from a US or other foreign port? 

Will emergency travel insurance continue to cover those who suffer medical emergencies traveling on cruise ships when the government has issued specific warnings?

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The Canadian government is a joke. I wouldn’t let any of It’s words Have any impact on my vacation and decisions. I am absolutely safer on a cruise ship than Canadian public transit. On a recent 

direct flight into Vancouver from Tehran Iranian passengers  weren’t  even asked rudimentary questions about Coronavirus.

Canadian govt. is  more concerned about being politically correct. They can’t possibly be perceived as being racist And profiling people from high-risk areas. Prime Minister Skippy is far more interested in virtue signaling than he is about protecting Canadians. Go on your cruise, have fun. Nothing the Canadian government does should impact that. 

Did you see the one with the Canadian reporter who went to Northern Italy last week to cover the virus and wasn't even questioned when she returned.

8 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

You are most likely correct! HOWEVER, when will the concern and generosity wear off for those who have purposely travelled on a cruise ship knowing full well that they could potentially need to be repatriated from a US or other foreign port? 

Will emergency travel insurance continue to cover those who suffer medical emergencies traveling on cruise ships when the government has issued specific warnings?

As long as the trip and or insurance was booked prior to any warnings.

The government isn't doing much apart from advising us not to cruise or go to China. But the passengers from flight coming in from Asia are not even questioned or screened when they arrive at a Canadian airport!

The problem now is to get travel insurance. The companies will now say you're not cover since it's a preexisting condition.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As long as the trip and or insurance was booked prior to any warnings.

It all hinges on what your medical history is and what illness you develop. I’m talking about Group Benefits with Emergency Travel Medical coverage. 

This could be potentially very interesting. You seem to be talking about Individual travel insurance. I am not. 

6 minutes ago, so1391 said:

The government isn't doing much apart from advising us not to cruise or go to China. But the passengers from flight coming in from Asia are not even questioned or screened when they arrive at a Canadian airport!

The problem now is to get travel insurance. The companies will now say you're not cover since it's a preexisting condition.

you can still by CFAR that will cover this 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

you can still by CFAR that will cover this 

We could cancel our trip with RCL new policy and the airline as a similar one. But if we get infected during the cruise it seems the medical expenses are not cover from what I understand of our insurance.