Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Dont know if this is already posted somewhere on this fine forum, it has been posted on the FCO website today....

Looks like our Ventura cruise to Canaries on May 11th (NO11) must be in dire danger of getting cancelled.:classic_sad:

cut and paste below

FCO spokesperson:

“Due to Spain declaring a State of Emergency on 14 March, which imposes significant restrictions on movement throughout the country in response to the coronavirus outbreak, we are now advising against all but essential travel to Spain.”

NOTES TO EDITORS

• We advise against all but essential travel to the whole of mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands. British nationals with upcoming journeys planned should check with their airlines and tour operators.
  • We advise those in Spain to stay in contact with their airlines and tour operators and to follow the instructions of local authorities.
  • Airports remain open, and flights continue to operate albeit at reduced levels. British nationals should contact their airlines for the most up-to-date information.
  • Public services and transport are operating at reduced levels.
  • Public gatherings are banned, most shops, many businesses and all schools and universities are closed, and residents have been instructed to remain at home as much as possible. 
  • There are limited, specific exceptions to the requirement to remain at home, in particular in order to buy food or other essential items, to return home to the primary residence, to go to work if unable to work from home and to carry out caring or similar duties.

Edited by barriead

2 hours ago, happy v said:

Jean if you used your FCC to book a new cruise surely if the worst came to the worst you would then be covered by ABTA like everyone else.

That sounds a little bit more comforting happyv, we actually transferred our April cruise to a new booking to replace a reservation we had for next Feb.  Had to cancel the old booking and lose the deposit, but I hadn't thought about the ABTA cover if our tour operator goes bust, I assume it will apply to virtually fully paid cruises, even if they are outside the final payment date?

55 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That sounds a little bit more comforting happyv, we actually transferred our April cruise to a new booking to replace a reservation we had for next Feb.  Had to cancel the old booking and lose the deposit, but I hadn't thought about the ABTA cover if our tour operator goes bust, I assume it will apply to virtually fully paid cruises, even if they are outside the final payment date?

You shouldn’t have lost your deposit so far in advance

Spoke to my TA this afternoon from a large UK on line cruise site .
She told me that P&O is the only cruise line with whom they deal who had not announced the cancellation of their planned cruises for the next 30 days. She does not understand why they have not but believes it is inevitable that they will.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Julia 

It's my husbands 40th in July and for the past year I have been saving and planning for a surprise Britannia cruise on July 18th. After weeks of wondering what to do and stressing about the whole situation, I sat him down and asked his advice this weekend as normally we make all big decisions together.

His take on it is we cancel it and plan something in the uk and get back to cruising when it is definitely settling down, as it is all so unknown at the moment. He thinks with how things are at the minute, it makes more sense for us to have our money than P & O

5 hours ago, berlingo said:

Spoke to my TA this afternoon from a large UK on line cruise site .
She told me that P&O is the only cruise line with whom they deal who had not announced the cancellation of their planned cruises for the next 30 days. She does not understand why they have not but believes it is inevitable that they will.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Julia 

It looks like the current Azura cruise is ending as she is heading back to Barbados. There is also speculation on another site that P&O will make an announcement today.

8 hours ago, staygulf said:

I assume you believe that because the contract terms say the deposit is non-refundable that is right?

It has been part of P&Os T&Cs forever so probably yes, although I realise these are very unusual circumstances I doubt that P&O would want to willingly sacrifice their cash flow by giving refunds out without a fight.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It has been part of P&Os T&Cs forever so probably yes, although I realise these are very unusual circumstances I doubt that P&O would want to willingly sacrifice their cash flow by giving refunds out without a fight.

All I’m saying is that I (and as others who have posted on here have confirmed) have successfully used the current UK law in arguing that it is an unfair contract term. Just because something is part of the T & C’s doesn’t mean it’s enforceable. 

4 minutes ago, staygulf said:

All I’m saying is that I (and as others who have posted on here have confirmed) have successfully used the current UK law in arguing that it is an unfair contract term. Just because something is part of the T & C’s doesn’t mean it’s enforceable. 

You might have raised the argument, but have you won it with P&O yet?

3 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I'll certainly back that up. P&O relies on the fact that most of its customer base will accept whatever it tells them, but with a little online research and perseverance it's not difficult to get them to accept that the law applies even to them. You might have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but that's no big deal.

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'll certainly back that up. P&O relies on the fact that most of its customer base will accept whatever it tells them, but with a little online research and perseverance it's not difficult to get them to accept that the law applies even to them. You might have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but that's no big deal.

Exactly! I didn’t even have to sign a NDA

🙂

Edited by staygulf

23 minutes ago, staygulf said:

You may want to start with this and then do your research

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-claim-back-a-non-refundable-deposit

The Which article is only couched in terms of the passenger cancelling and what rights they have to get their deposit back.

If the cruise company cancels your cruise then I'm guessing there is no question that a full refund of any deposit is required.

This may be one reason for the brinkmanship being operated by P&O at present. They are waiting to the very last minute to cancel cruises in the expectation/hope that clients will opt for an FCC

10am announcement on T*****r

”Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, and following the recommendation by CLIA US for cruise lines to temporarily suspend operations for 30 days, we are suspending new cruises until 11 April 2020. Here’s P&O Cruises President Paul Ludlow with an update:”

10 minutes ago, arlowood said:

This may be one reason for the brinkmanship being operated by P&O at present. They are waiting to the very last minute to cancel cruises in the expectation/hope that clients will opt for an FCC

But then why did they offer generous OBC for people to continue their cruise?

Not disagreeing with you, it’s just the OBC offer seems a bit odd if they want people to cancel their cruises...

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

10am announcement on T*****r

”Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, and following the recommendation by CLIA US for cruise lines to temporarily suspend operations for 30 days, we are suspending new cruises until 11 April 2020. Here’s P&O Cruises President Paul Ludlow with an update:”

Completed my refund form for my 4 April cruise minutes ago. Message resulting states that 'Your refund will be processed within 45 days'. Good news.

13 minutes ago, arlowood said:

The Which article is only couched in terms of the passenger cancelling and what rights they have to get their deposit back.

If the cruise company cancels your cruise then I'm guessing there is no question that a full refund of any deposit is required.

As you say, if the cruise company cancels it's an automatic full refund.

8 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Correct. A cruise line cancellation requires a full refund with no cancellation charges. 

incidentally, a refund must be made within 14 days. Last month I was owed over £14k By a well known UK online cruise company for a cancelled Princess cruise. It was virtually impossible to speak to them on the phone and emails got the standard holding  reply  When I did get through I was told it might take 28 days or more to get to my booking as they were inundated. I gave them 2 weeks. Nothing. Then managed to get through again. The threat of a statutory demand and a possible winding up order got me a refund the very next day. You have to use the LAW.