Prime Minister’s Statement 12/03/2020

silversurf

Don’t go on a cruise if you are over 70 and have underlying medical conditions. This was the advice given in Cobra meeting this afternoon.

will cruise lines give full refunds in the light of this?

A couple of days ago we cancelled our June sailing, but so as not to lose our deposit and pay an extra £100 cancellation fee we moved to to June 2021.

We have 2 more cruises booked, the first in January 2021 with Saga and the other in August 2021 on Ventura, which we have already moved from Iona as we felt the ship was too big. I now see that Norway is refusing passengers disembarking in Bergen and Stavanger, so that rules out all next years sailings on Iona anyway.

I am a little angry and confused about how this impacts cruisers. I missed the live feed from the press conference and now I find it appears the BBC have been editing what was being said by missing the occasional word which can change the meaning.

What actually came out of the participants mouths is what I want to hear.

Over 70's should not cruise. What is the definition of over 70?  Are you over 70 one day after your 70th birthday? What about existing medical conditions. Some reports say over 70 with existing conditions, other reports say over 70 or existing conditions.

Aaargh the local BBC TV news has just done it again! Self isolate if you have a temperature or a persistent cough. This is elsewhere reported as a temperature or new persistent cough

WHAT IS THE TRUTH

The advice is already on the FCO site.  It says 70 or over and those with conditions which are listed.  Advice against cruising at this time, so not sure if that includes June just yet, but likely will as time goes on I suspect.

Link:-  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

Always worth having it in writing so I printed it out and will ring cruise company tomorrow (Fred in my case).

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Today, 12th March 2020, the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has effectively banned those over 70 years old from taking cruises during the current COVID-19 (Corona Virus) outbreak.  Will P&O now respond by issuing full refunds for the over seventies (especially those with health issues) rather utilising that the recently revised cancellation policy??   

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

The problem here is that we have a Prime Minister who seems incapable of reading what's been put in front of him.

Quite probably.  In the video he says anyone over 70 with serious medical conditions, but FCO advise clearly says:- 

"The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time."

We will be 70 just before travel but I have it in writing from the FCO, so cannot be disputed.  Just prefer not to have to go to our insurance company as had a claim in the Autumn so fingers crossed.

Published 12 March 2020

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time.

This is based on the government Chief Medical Officer’s advice. It follows a number of cruise ships around the world being locked down due to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks on board.

If you are aged 70 and over, or if you have underlying health conditions, an outbreak on board could put you at a higher risk of severe disease. This could lead to hospitalisation in another country, and potential disruption to medical care for any underlying conditions.

Underlying health conditions include, but are not limited to:

• chronic respiratory disease, including asthma
  • chronic heart disease
  • chronic renal disease
  • chronic liver disease
  • chronic neurological disease
  • diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
  • weakened immune system due to drug treatment or disease
  • current or recent chemotherapy

This list is not exhaustive. If you are in any doubt and you have a chronic health condition, you should speak to your doctor.

9 minutes ago, tring said:

Quite probably.  In the video he says anyone over 70 with serious medical conditions, but FCO advise clearly says:- 

"The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time."

We will be 70 just before travel but I have it in writing from the FCO, so cannot be disputed.  Just prefer not to have to go to our insurance company as had a claim in the Autumn so fingers crossed.

This is a serious development for potential cruisers. Many (most?) travel insurance policies include a clause which says that should you choose to travel against FCO advice your policy will be void for that trip. Whilst designed in respect of travel to individual countries and regions, could well apply in current circumstances to cruises. It would be wise to check your policy's wording carefully.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Denarius said:

This is a serious development for potential cruisers. Many (most?) travel insurance policies include a clause which says that should you choose to travel against FCO advice your policy will be void for that trip. Whilst designed in respect of travel to individual countries and regions, could well apply in current circumstances to cruises. It would be wise to check your policy's wording carefully.

Yes it now seems to be clear, over 70 or with the long list of health problems. If you go it is most likely your insurance will be invalid.

But apart from that P&O will have to close down as the majority of their customers a over 70. 

And of course there will be no ports to visit.

3 hours ago, silversurf said:

now see that Norway is refusing passengers disembarking in Bergen and Stavanger, so that rules out all next years sailings on Iona anyway.

I don't think that's a permanent decision is it? Once the peak of the virus is over they'll reopen the ports won't they? We're on Iona in July 🙄

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I am a little angry and confused about how this impacts cruisers. I missed the live feed from the press conference and now I find it appears the BBC have been editing what was being said by missing the occasional word which can change the meaning.

What actually came out of the participants mouths is what I want to hear.

Over 70's should not cruise. What is the definition of over 70?  Are you over 70 one day after your 70th birthday? What about existing medical conditions. Some reports say over 70 with existing conditions, other reports say over 70 or existing conditions.

Aaargh the local BBC TV news has just done it again! Self isolate if you have a temperature or a persistent cough. This is elsewhere reported as a temperature or new persistent cough

WHAT IS THE TRUTH

The first time in the speech was both the over 70s and those with medical conditions. When it was referred to later in the press conference it was more ambiguously worded!

Edited by HappyGiraffe

15 hours ago, daiB said:

Yes it now seems to be clear, over 70 or with the long list of health problems. If you go it is most likely your insurance will be invalid.

But apart from that P&O will have to close down as the majority of their customers a over 70. 

And of course there will be no ports to visit.

Aurora would be half empty. And don't even mention "Fred" 🙂

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Aurora would be half empty. And don't even mention "Fred" 🙂

Stop exaggerating, I mean “ half empty”  Never get that many under 70’s. 20% at best.

😎

Our 35 night cruise on Ventura may have had only 10% under 70.

• Haha 1

Happy Giraffe my post shows the full content of the FCO statement that is available on the gov.uk website.  It clearly states that the government’s CMO says that over 70’s and those with pre-existing health conditions should not take cruises for the time being. If any of us who are affected by the current government advice chose to still travel - insurance would become totally null and void....  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Boris looks like no more cruising for us this year I am a healthy 73 but now only good for the knackers yard according

to the so called experts.We have cruises booked tor april and july now just waiting to see how long it will take for monies 

paid to be refunded. Looks like the cruise operators might as well close down for the next 3 months.

Nothing we can do but wait and how it all pans out.

2 hours ago, DollyDutchGirl said:

Happy Giraffe my post shows the full content of the FCO statement that is available on the gov.uk website.  It clearly states that the government’s CMO says that over 70’s and those with pre-existing health conditions should not take cruises for the time being. If any of us who are affected by the current government advice chose to still travel - insurance would become totally null and void....  Hope that helps.

Thanks, yes have been following the official .gov guidance. Was just trying to clear up the confusion before the website was updated, which seemed to stem from the media outlets showing the more ambiguous clip of Boris waffling at the end rather than the clearer prepared bit of the speech from earlier in the press conference!

13 minutes ago, HappyGiraffe said:

Thanks, yes have been following the official .gov guidance. Was just trying to clear up the confusion before the website was updated, which seemed to stem from the media outlets showing the more ambiguous clip of Boris waffling at the end rather than the clearer prepared bit of the speech from earlier in the press conference!

Beeb sowed confusion again on the 1 o'clock news. the headline used different words which were only clarified if you watched the full report. Their editors need sacking.

• Like 2

Since when has anyone been able to believe anything said in the papers or on news channels. I mean, come on, they can't even get the weather right !!!  When I want fiction I read a  book. It's more reliable.  😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

New P&O e mail 

KEEPING YOU UPDATED

British nationals aged 70 and over and people with underlying health conditions

In light of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the UK Government has issued advice against cruise ship travel for British nationals aged 70 and over and people with underlying health conditions.

We understand if you are concerned by this advice. Please find your options below OR visit our website for more information.

If you have an existing booking

If you have an existing booking that departs before 1 September 2020 and you are a British national aged 70 and over, or if you have underlying health condition as outlined on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website your options below.

If you’d like to keep your existing booking, your ship and crew will be ready and waiting to welcome you, however you will be asked to confirm you have chosen to sail having read the latest government guidance.

Should you wish to cancel:

We are offering you a Future Cruise Credit of 125% to the amount of your cancellation fee (with any monies remaining to be refunded) to be applied against any new booking up to the equivalent value. Your Future Cruise Credit can be used for a new booking made before 31 December 2021, and can be redeemed against any P&O Cruises holiday sailing before 31 March 2022.

Alternatively, you are also entitled to a full refund. If you are cancelling due to concern over an underlying health condition, your refund will be subject to providing proof of your underlying medical condition.

If you are not a British national aged 70 and over and do not have a pre-existing health condition but would like to cancel your booking, please find our flexible booking policy here.

Interim Transfer Policy

For those who are sailing after 31 August 2020, our existing interim transfer policy applies.

Between now and 31 August 2020, you have the option of transferring your holiday to an alternative date should you wish. Under our temporary highly flexible terms, you can choose to transfer your holiday to any sailing within our published programme.

If you booked with us, and wish to amend your booking, please contact P&O Cruises on 0344 338 8636. Alternatively, please contact your travel agent. As we're sure you can appreciate ours and our agents' phone lines are extremely busy at present, so please bear with us whilst we deal with the most imminent departures. If your departure is not within the next 14 days please consider calling us nearer to your departure date.

So if I undesrtand correctly, the FCO advice is now pretty clear that people with Asthma should not cruise.

As such, I guess our travel insurance would be invalid for our cruise starting next Tuesday and we need to cancel.

Is it worth waiting for them to cancel the entire trip as there will be less paperwork to get a refund or whatever?