For those on cruises with San Diego departures

23 hours ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

San Diego public officials have just declared (3-12-2020) the County of San Diego to be an area of community transmission of the virus and have recommended that all individuals over the age of 60 minimize being in areas that involve contact with the public. They have also ordered the cancellation of gatherings involving 250 or more individuals. I have no idea how this will be dealt with by Holland America concerning their scheduled departures.

Can you please stop perpetuating the ongoing hysteria about cruising, and about cruising out of SD specifically?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

No security staff at the scanning machines?

Check-in onboard the ship?

Carry your own luggage onboard?

Just about everyone working at the pier in San Diego is over 60 yrs.

David

P.S.  But the County doesn't do anything about the homeless downtown.....or regularly sanitize the public restrooms along the bayfront.

And your point? Somehow I lost that amidst all the clutter..

20 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

It's just a matter of time.

The next shoe will drop soon.   

Suspicion is that paper money can transmit the virus... as well as your luggage.

Try giving your credit card to a longshoreman.

David

Your post is exactly why people should stay away from the internet and social media right now. Completely irresponsible.. Can't wait until I get on my ship tomorrow to escape this mass hysteria!

• Like 2

Ok, 2:00 ask the Captain question from me. "We will continue on the Oosterdam for 5 more weeks. Will there be any ports open for us to visit in Hawaii or South Pacific?" Captain said it was a good question to which he has no answer. They are following hour by hour, minute by minute, but as of this time, no answers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Can you please stop perpetuating the ongoing hysteria about cruising, and about cruising out of SD specifically?

You really should not accuse somebody of doing something when you don't know their motives. I was merely trying to inform people who were coming to San Diego to board a cruise, or disembark from a cruise they are on, of the current situation so they could  plan accordingly. Intelligent people prefer to make decisions based on information rather than hysteria or bias.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Former Non-cruiser said:

You really should not accuse somebody of doing something when you don't know their motives. I was merely trying to inform people who were coming to San Diego to board a cruise, or disembark from a cruise they are on, of the current situation so they could  plan accordingly. Intelligent people prefer to make decisions based on information rather than hysteria or bias.

My point is that nothing has changed in San Diego with regard to normal boarding procedures, etc., so even mentioning anything else is introducing the kind of panic that all of us are trying to avoid at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ok, 2:00 ask the Captain question from me. "We will continue on the Oosterdam for 5 more weeks. Will there be any ports open for us to visit in Hawaii or South Pacific?" Captain said it was a good question to which he has no answer. They are following hour by hour, minute by minute, but as of this time, no answers. 

That seems to be the mode of operation for everything these days. Hope in the meantime you are having fun and ports in Hawaii, etc. will be open for you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Your post is exactly why people should stay away from the internet and social media right now. Completely irresponsible.. Can't wait until I get on my ship tomorrow to escape this mass hysteria!

The "irresponsible"  post  was written by someone who has worked in the cruise industry for many years and is well respected by colleagues. I understand getting to the point overload with all the dire warnings...many of us are. Have a great cruise and hopefully things will have settled down by the time you get back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

The "irresponsible"  post  was written by someone who has worked in the cruise industry for many years and is well respected by colleagues. I understand getting to the point overload with all the dire warnings...many of us are. Have a great cruise and hopefully things will have settled down by the time you get back.

What? Who cares if they have worked in the cruise industry for years, which is irrelevant to the discussion here.

We plan to have a great cruise, and to those of you who are clutching their pearls about the doomsday scenario, have fun hunkering down in your home waiting for everything to pass.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

What? Who cares if they have worked in the cruise industry for years, which is irrelevant to the discussion here.

We plan to have a great cruise, and to those of you who are clutching their pearls about the doomsday scenario, have fun hunkering down in your home waiting for everything to pass.

I look forward to reading about your cruise.

• Like 1

I apologize to any of you who were offended by my last post. 

It was meant to be satirical, and obviously was not well received.

I am truly sorry.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

7 hours ago, KroozNut said:

My point is that nothing has changed in San Diego with regard to normal boarding procedures, etc., so even mentioning anything else is introducing the kind of panic that all of us are trying to avoid at this point.

To me, the fact that community transmission has been proven in the port of embarkation is a huge factor, and in the not too distant past it lead to the Westerdam being unwelcome in many ports.

I was booked to leave from San Diego in a little over 2 weeks. That alone was enough (the final straw) for me to cancel. And it was the case count AND the data that goes along with it (how this is unfolding) that I have been watching closely.

While I love to cruise and visit ports, I have no desire to board another “Flying Dutchman” and wonder when and how we’re getting off.

So thank you to the OP.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Holland America, which operates the most cruises out San Diego’s cruise ship terminals, said Thursday its scheduled sailings will continue, with the exception of already announced cancellations of Asia voyages.

And they cancelled our cruise 30 min into our flight to California. HAL then canceled our return flights so we had to rebook them last night. This will be an adventure. 

Edited by TN Fem
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TN Fem said:

And they cancelled our cruise 30 min into our flight to California. HAL then canceled our return flights so we had to rebook them last night. This will be an adventure. 

Oh my.  Are you staying or turning around and flying back?

16 hours ago, KroozNut said:

It might be irrelevant to your discussion, but your rudeness towards that person is uncalled for.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TN Fem said:

So sorry it was cancelled!  Good luck to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The crew were told they will be staying on the Oosterdam just off Mexico shore. I wonder if there are American crew members that have to leave the ship? 

FYI; every HAL ship has U.S. crew in various. mostly small, numbers, usually/mostly in the Entertainment Dept. There is at least one U.S. hotel director (no U.S. captains), a few U.S. security officers, a few nurses, etc. They will stay onboard and ride out the storm 

18 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Not anymore!

• Like 1