Letter Crew Received Regarding Suspension of Cruising for 30 days

32 minutes ago, julesbeara said:

Just received this letter from a crew member on the Adventure of the Seas.  He is still waiting to see if he'll be staying on board, or going home during the suspension.

Crew Letter.jpg

I have news to share with you.  And it is, in fact, stunning.

Beginning midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet's U.S. sailings for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country.  And this is our part to play.

This is probably a good moment to take a breath.

This is obviously big news, and there's no point in sugarcoating it - it's rough news to hear.

But it is not the end of the world.

We have a lot of work today to address the many ramifications of this decision.  We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this presents for them.

We are on it.  And you need you to be on it - in fact, we're all about to work as hard as we ever have.

We have a lot of updates to send you in the coming days.  Look for them.

Let's stop rumors.  Let's stay together.

The next destination on our journey is on the other side of this crisis - the time when things start getting better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Lost wages?  They haven't been terminated, by the cruise line.

Even if they all receive their salary during the 30 days, the crew who who receive tips, namely all the servers, bartenders and room stewards, won't get that very large piece of their "pay" since their won't be any passengers onboard for at least 30 days.

29 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Even if they all receive their salary during the 30 days, the crew who who receive tips, namely all the servers, bartenders and room stewards, won't get that very large piece of their "pay" since their won't be any passengers onboard for at least 30 days.

Agree, 100%. Also agree with you saying at least 30:days without tips. Does anybody here really think that in 30 days this will be done or in a place where Royal can send ships out? In 30 days, this will be way worse from a public health standpoint. In fact, I’d be saying the same thing if the number were 60 days... it’ll be peaking at that point. I feel like if they get going by July, it’ll be a miracle. Although by then, they may have no choice as the company would be in tatters if it went that long. 

Plus where are they supposed to stay, are they going to keep the ships all running or try to get them in for some refurbishment.  It is really a great opportunity for the cruise lines to get some work done that they never could before.  

Chance for all kinds of work biggest issue will just be what they can get delivered.

Software updates and things like that they should be able to get done.  Clean engines or  fuel tanks,  oil changes etc..

“Flippant” is what comes to mind when I read this. 

Sounds very uncaring and unprofessional.  For a company that expects their crew to be professional and friendly, he surely is not leading by example through this letter.

I would well imagine that when the crew received the letter they expected that it would address their concerns, especially in regards to pay. As I read it I kept waiting for some of the valid concerns of the crew to be addressed. It never did. 

I would rate this person and his letter as cruel.

2 hours ago, TBurr said:

I would well imagine that when the crew received the letter they expected that it would address their concerns, especially in regards to pay. As I read it I kept waiting for some of the valid concerns of the crew to be addressed. It never did. 

I would rate this person and his letter as cruel.

Agree.  The letter does not answer the employee’s concerns. Very poorly written

11 hours ago, time4u2go said:

So many words to say practically nothing.  Who writes this guy's letters?

10 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Sounds very uncaring and unprofessional. 

10 hours ago, TBurr said:

In all fairness, I'm sure the cruise line is still figuring out what to do regarding staff and the cruising suspension.  The letter says more information will be forthcoming and I'm sure as they get plans worked out they will be shared with the crew.  Yes, it would be frustrating to not have all the answers but they will come as soon as possible. 

Kind of like when the travel to China etc. was first suspended.  The cruise lines had to deal with immediate issues first, like pax who had bought cruise air to ports where ships were supposed to sail from the next day or within the next 2 or 3 days and suddenly those flights were canceled or the embarkation port was closed.  People who had cruises booked a month or several months out were up in arms that no one had given them answers about THEIR cruise instantly, but as the cruise lines had time to deal with immediate issues they moved on to additional issues.  The same will happen now with issues and questions surrounding crew.

• Like 1