Rotterdam - Puerto Vallarta March 14

Rinderoo

I am told by a friend of mine that passengers are being sent home from Puerto Vallarta and not completing their sailing on the Rotterdam.

Anyone know why HAL did this? The mouse boat is in the Panama Canal today and at least finishing their voyage in San Diego on March 20 (at least as I write this.)  

Yes I just found out too. Many ports are closed. Check one of the other postings about this. 

Per Carnival and The Port Authority all passengers will disembark.

Edited by Ine

4 minutes ago, Rinderoo said:

I am told by a friend of mine that passengers are being sent home from Puerto Vallarta and not completing their sailing on the Rotterdam.

Anyone know why HAL did this? The mouse boat is in the Panama Canal today and at least finishing their voyage in San Diego on March 20 (at least as I write this.)  

As laid out in HAL's press release dated Friday, March 13

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/holland-america-line-announces-a-voluntary-and-temporary-pause-of-its-global-ship-operations-for-30-days/

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for sending this.  Am being told HAL did not offer assistance with getting home, but perhaps these passengers missed something. I'm sure someone on board will pop on here and provide their experience.

2 minutes ago, Rinderoo said:

Thanks for sending this.  Am being told HAL did not offer assistance with getting home, but perhaps these passengers missed something. I'm sure someone on board will pop on here and provide their experience.

Anytime! I'd be very surprised if, given the unfortunate circumstances, Rotterdam's guest relations dept. is not very hard at work offering assistance in getting those pax home

The press release indicates the cruise is ending tomorrow, March 15.  It may be difficult to get new flights, especially if you did not book them through HAL, since HAL is rebooking those who booked through them.  They probably did so before notifying passengers onboard.

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Anytime! I'd be very surprised if, given the unfortunate circumstances, Rotterdam's guest relations dept. is not very hard at work offering assistance in getting those pax home

I have some first hand info that these particular pax were not offered assistance. They had a family member buy them an airline ticket to Boston.  Cost around $300/each, so it was not horrid. These folks did not have HAL air. 

This is what another passenger just posted and that sounds  much better. 

Well we are leaving tomorrow from Rotterdam in Puerto Vallarta’! Just as we were ready to go to dinner the Captucame on the speaker! Per Carnival and The Port Authority all passengers will disembark.

They gave us full monies back on our cruise plus 100% on FCC. We were lucky David was able to get Alaskan air quickly online with his FF miles got a non stop for us👍 They will reimburse any monies for your flight if independent and they will transport us to air port! So under the circumstances of world situations HAL did wonderful for all onboard! Now we are outside sea view lounge so David can smoke his cigar!

Denise😊

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rinderoo said:

I have some first hand info that these particular pax were not offered assistance. They had a family member buy them an airline ticket to Boston.  Cost around $300/each, so it was not horrid. These folks did not have HAL air. 

Sorry to hear that! They usually at least offer everyone who didn't use HAL Air free internet to get their reservations made - From the press release:

Guests who have booked their own air should first contact their airline to make ticket changes. Holland America Line will rebook all guests who purchased their air through the Flight Ease program and will endeavor to help others who booked their own air if they are encountering issues.

26 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

So Copper what about the Veendam and Zuiderdam. I know when they are supposed to return to Port Everglades but now wonder if it could be earlier than scheduled as it seems like if they do get into their next scheduled port have to wonder if the would be allowed to leave. Oh and the Volendam too. 

We had two ships in Tampa today and both are back out into the Gulf with two more on their way in approaching the sea buoy for tomorrows arrival. Rhapsody of the Seas is now at the Tampa west anchorage. Carnival Paradise went a little further out and looks like they are doing a circle maybe heading back to drop anchor also. Approaching the sea buoy is the Carnival Legend and the Norwegian Dawn as they will pick up their pilots for the trip in under the Skyway Bridge. Also found the AIS for the Celebrity Infinity is saying she could be heading our way and currently off the Florida Keys. See if this is the case.

16 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

So Copper what about the Veendam and Zuiderdam. I know when they are supposed to return to Port Everglades but now wonder if it could be earlier than scheduled as it seems like if they do get into their next scheduled port have to wonder if the would be allowed to leave. Oh and the Volendam too. 

We had two ships in Tampa today and both are back out into the Gulf with two more on their way in approaching the sea buoy for tomorrows arrival. Rhapsody of the Seas is now at the Tampa west anchorage. Carnival Paradise went a little further out and looks like they are doing a circle maybe heading back to drop anchor also. Approaching the sea buoy is the Carnival Legend and the Norwegian Dawn as they will pick up their pilots for the trip in under the Skyway Bridge. Also found the AIS for the Celebrity Infinity is saying she could be heading our way and currently off the Florida Keys. See if this is the case.

Those two ships are still OK as long as our government doesn't close the U.S. ports to cruise traffic before their arrival date. This also includes Eurodam due in San Diego on the 18th, Maasdam in Hilo on the 20th and Volendam in FLL on the 22nd  

Edited by Copper10-8

Thanks Copper that was a quick response. What caused the Rotterdam to be stopped in Puerto Vallarta. I am also a reader of Captain Albert's blog and know he is currently on board the Rotterdam. As my mom has been saying she is really glad we are at home right now. And now I have heard that all ports in Australia have been closed. Is this going to create a problem for the Amsterdam ending in Freemantle on the 24th? Oh and I hope the U.S. ports stay open so these ships can get back so everyone can get off.

Edited by rjbean4

5 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

Thanks Copper that was a quick response. What caused the Rotterdam to be stopped in Puerto Vallarta. I am also a reader of Captain Albert's blog and know he is currently on board the Rotterdam. As my mom has been saying she is really glad we are at home right now. And now I have heard that all ports in Australia have been closed. Is this going to create a problem for the Amsterdam ending in Freemantle on the 24th?

I believe HAL made the decision to disembark Rotterdam's pax in PV tomorrow based on the current environment which is very fluid as to governments closing their ports to cruise traffic. We'll find out about Amsterdam on Monday when she is scheduled to dock in Darwin. If she's refused entry there based on the just released Aussie gov't directive, she will more than likely also not be going to Freemantle 

Thanks once again. Were all glad to have you here on CC. Especially under these circumstances. Now because of the time here in the east its time to shut down for the night as my dad would say as he was a commercial pilot with NWA for 31 years. Today those of us with ties to NWA our motto is "Red Tails Forever".

• Like 1

I’m on the Amsterdam now and we are not going to Darwin. Captain said they are trying to figure out what to do. All of us on the ship are healthy and we want to just head to Ft. Lauderdale. Some of us don’t fly but I think that’s a moot point now.  If the States had any concern about us, our trip from here to there would more than constitute a quarantine. 

I’m hoping we’ll be allowed into Fremantle to let off the Australians we have onboard.  I’m also hoping we’ll be able to refuel and resupply so that we CAN actually consider heading for home!  

Linda R

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thanks everyone for all the information that I need to reread and digest.

Hope everyone gets home safely!!

Good morning everyone!!

Just an update to all!!

❤️ HAL is reimbursing all independent air flights we have a form to fill out and to show receipts. We just received our stateroom bill and no charges! They gave us back everything except to our dear stewards!  I found our stewards Fran and Rako gave them Thank you cards with $50.00 each and told them we cared!!

They are assisting all passengers who had flights with HAL and Hotels getting them rebooked and we have shuttles taking us to airport from HAL..

100% all monies back for our cruise and 100% FCC.

Take care all!

Getting ready to leave Rotterdam 

Denise😊

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning everyone!!

Just an update to all!!

HAL is reimbursing all independent air flights we have a form to fill out and to show receipts. We just received our stateroom bill and no charges! They gave us back everything except to our dear stewards!  I found our stewards Fran and Rako gave them Thank you cards with $50.00 each and told them we cared!!

They are assisting all passengers who had flights with HAL and Hotels getting them rebooked and we have shuttles taking us to airport from HAL..

Take care all!

Denise

Thank you for the update from someone on the ship!  Safe travels to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

7 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning everyone!!

Just an update to all!!

❤️ HAL is reimbursing all independent air flights we have a form to fill out and to show receipts. We just received our stateroom bill and no charges! They gave us back everything except to our dear stewards!  I found our stewards Fran and Rako gave them Thank you cards with $50.00 each and told them we cared!!

Take care all!

Denise😊

Safe travels Denise!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning everyone!!

Just an update to all!!

Take care all!

Denise😊

Thank you for the update.  What you did sounds wonderful.  God bless and have safe journey home.

It seems HAL is doing everything possible for their guests.  To give 100% back for partially completed cruises PLUS 100% credit for a future cruise and then not even charge for onboard purchases is very generous when they have to be loosing many millions.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, timbom said:

Why are they dropping everyone off in PV???

Is it because they are afraid that the port of San Deigo is closed to them??

Read post ## 13 in this thread. Copper pretty much answered that question.

7 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I’m on the Amsterdam now and we are not going to Darwin. Captain said they are trying to figure out what to do. All of us on the ship are healthy and we want to just head to Ft. Lauderdale. Some of us don’t fly but I think that’s a moot point now.  If the States had any concern about us, our trip from here to there would more than constitute a quarantine. 

I’m hoping we’ll be allowed into Fremantle to let off the Australians we have onboard.  I’m also hoping we’ll be able to refuel and resupply so that we CAN actually consider heading for home!  

Linda R

Keep  all of us on CC  updated. Would be great if you are able to get into Freemantle. Everything is changing so quickly that yeah it would be great to  refuel and resupply but would seem very unlikely it would be enough to get to Ft. Lauderdale  no matter what route the ship would take to do it. Ports are closing with very little notice. Case in point with what happened with the Rotterdam last night as they have ended their cruise in Puerto Vallarta. Ports would have to be willing to take a ship to refuel and resupply. I have also found someone posting that is on the Veendam and mentioned they were denied into Grand Cayman and were going to try and head to Cozumel for a earlier arrival than scheduled. Well I have checked on Marine Traffic and based on being NW of Grand Cayman they were also denied into Cozumel or decided to cancel and head back to Port Everglades early. Florida ports are still open but as the number of confirmed cases goes up that could change. As much as so many don't fly that may be the only way you are going to get back home. If you make it to Freemantle the World and the QM2 are already there. From what I have found all other ships doing world cruises have been stopped also.