Mardi Gras Status?

13cheermom

Of course I can’t find it right now (about 10 min ago I saw the posting).  Within the last couple of days, John Heald posted to that specific question.  The Mardi Gras is still on schedule and no further delays are expected.

1 minute ago, lasekeye said:

Of course I can’t find it right now (about 10 min ago I saw the posting).  Within the last couple of days, John Heald posted to that specific question.  The Mardi Gras is still on schedule and no further delays are expected.

He was also announcing that they were cruising this week a couple of days ago - he seems to be full of good information. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stick93 said:

This may be the least of their pressing issues. I am assuming it will effect the building but they have thousands of cruises before the first on on this ship that they have to worry about. 

It's probably not their #1 priority at the moment, but I don't know if I'd consider that the least of their issues. If this ship gets delayed again, they are going to have to cancel even more cruises, for 5k+ passengers, potentially during a time when everything else goes back to "normal". For Carnival, whos stock has taken an absolute beating, the Mardi Gras is an important step forward for them.

35 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It's probably not their #1 priority at the moment, but I don't know if I'd consider that the least of their issues. If this ship gets delayed again, they are going to have to cancel even more cruises, for 5k+ passengers, potentially during a time when everything else goes back to "normal". For Carnival, whos stock has taken an absolute beating, the Mardi Gras is an important step forward for them.

I dont disagree the Mardi Gras is a big step forward but right now you have all ships stopped for 4 weeks - lets say about 100,00 passengers a week (give or take) - 5000 passengers a week starting in November is prob not anywhere near pressuring Carnival right now. They need to get through 30 days and possibly more before they can worry about their new ship.

Plus they have the Victory/Radiance Just entering a massive dry dock now - thats a $100 million plus they may want to rethink to save cash - RCCL seems to not be doing major dry dock on two of their ship because of this (not verified but part of the chats going on there on the Royal boards). 

• Like 1

I will agree, Carnival has bigger fish to fry right now then worry about a November new build. Their very EXISTENCE depends on what happens in this suspension month. I personally believe this Corona problem is far from over for the cruise lines in a MERE month, especially with the "70s" rule which is a large part of their potential market even if they cruise again. Doctors just aren't going to sign that "free to sail" letter in very large numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elbozi said:

That Mardi Gras build depends on a supply chain from many nations.  

As of yesterday, Finland is doing what other European nations are doing--closing borders and schools, banning gatherings, sending workers home.  I imagine Meyer Turku will be affected. 

I think it also depends upon how far along the ship is. I know they did a float out, at some point in the near future sea trials should occur. If all the major components are in place I believe it has a chance to be on track.  However, we are not hearing the expected marketing excitement one would expect 6 months prior to launch. For what its worth the newly built home terminal in Port Canaveral is looking great, I would not be surprised to see one of the anchored off shore Carnival ships dock there soon.

I'm sure Carnival has it's hands full just adjusting current schedules and rebookings/cancellations.  Since ship won't be doing Europe and not expected to be in US until late November, I'd be surprised if we start to see anything from Carnival marketing until late June early July.