Alaska August 2020 safe to book or not

Janet76

I heard from our friends on the East coast who were going to do their first Alaska cruise. As it turns out they will cancel their May cruise to Alaska because of a developing health issue.... not the virus. They were looking so forward to this trip since the two of them are retired school teachers only to find out therapy will be needed because of a life threatening health issue. 

Our cruise will be a go until I hear otherwise. Mid August will be our departure date. I am afraid things will get much worse before getting better. I think we will all know by the first of June as to what will be happening in Alaska for cruise reason. Everyone take care and take precautions. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:37 PM, Janet76 said:

Hope this virus thing end soon.  We need to go!!!  This virus is not the deadliest virus we’ve experienced, like HIV or Ebola. What made it worse is the media creating panic and people acting upon it.  If we practice common sense and follow CDC recommendation for flu virus, this will pass.  Remember H1N1??.  

J

your aluminum foil hat might be a little too tight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New novel virus emerge every year.  This virus is novel and more contagious since we do not have immunity against it.  This is fact not propaganda.  We had novel  virus in the past like SARS-COV, MERS, H1N1 to name a few. So lets not panic. Elderly and individual with underlying illness are most susceptible and these population should take extra precautions.  

Take care

We have our cruise booked for the first week of August.  No plans to cancel ourselves, will wait to see what the cruise line does.  I have been looking into alternative plans which will require a date and airport change.  Looking into the Alaska railroad but that too will depend on how things go and if they are in operation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flexibility is needed.  🙂     I pretty much have not booked Alaska ahead last several seasons.   

I hope to get back there this year in some form.   If the cruises aren't operating-  certainly a possibility,   I'll look at an RV rental option for a couple weeks.  🙂     

Alaska draws me there-  always-  every year.    I can only wait and see if I can return again this season?    

• 2 weeks later...

We had a group scheduled for a June 12th sailing which was, of course, cancelled. At this point Canada says ports are closed until July 1st. We re-booked for July 10th. Seemed we had nothing to "lose". We got a full refund or a 125% FFC and the rates are less than half of what we paid originally and airfare is less too. If Canada doesn't open the ports we will of course be disappointed but will again get the same offers so we felt like "why not".  Yes, there is concern on the C-vid virus, and we will take the necessary/recommended precautions but we are cautiously optimistic. 

Ultimately, however, all the responses of "who knows" are exactly right.