for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Lois - yay about the cough!  

Be sure to watch the weather for Jackson when you pack!!!  We can get 30-35 degree temperature swings.  Like this week in Jackson, the beginning is lows in the 30s and highs in the 50-60s, then warm up later in the week, lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 70s.  If it's sunny, in this altitude, it will feel warmer than the thermometer says.   Here in UT, I've got a freeze warning for overnights the beginning of the week and highs in low 60s, but then bumps up to highs in the 80s and possibly 90!!  I'm going to wilt!!

Got some of my chores done.  Today, it's going to be flattening down the cardboard boxes to be ready for the big recycling bin on Saturday.   Tomorrow I'm going to Home Depot to pick up some of those big clear storage boxes to divide up clothes (jeans, leggings, hoodies) and sort out those too big things to take to the Christian Center. 

OOTD:  just a pair of running shorts and a Tshirt.

Hi Kat, don't worry, I actually have been starting to look at the weather out there already.....using 10 days out as a gage. I will look again later this week since I leave on the 27th.  Looks like it will be cool in the evenings but almost near 80 during the day. But I will check again before packing.

On 6/13/2024 at 3:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi all, just a quick update. My father passed last night, just after the move to assisted living. He had been rapidly going downhill over last couple of weeks, so it wasn't a big surprise and it was peaceful. 

It's certainly been quite the month. Barring any other issues I am hoping to make my Azamara Onward cruise leaving Southampton June 20th.

So sorry to hear about your father’s passing. My prayers are with you and your family at this time. It really doesn’t matter how elderly or sick a parent is, it is a difficult thing to deal with. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi from Guernsey on the Onward.

Hopefully you have made it to Southhampton Cynthia for our arrival tomorrow.

Glad to read you have finally recovered from your cough Lois , there are a few people with a nasty cough on board but we have managed to avoid it .

Edited by MrToblerone

Hi Melissa😃 hope you are having a fun cruise! I leave a week from tomorrow. This has been the weirdest "packing set up" I can ever recall. It has been many years since I have gone away for a week on a land trip and I am going with a carry on and tote bag only. I think I will pack the right stuff LOL........it is a very casual trip that is for sure. 

Hope Melody and family are having a good time😃

Cynthia, are you over in the UK yet? Wishing you a safe trip. 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melissa😃 hope you are having a fun cruise! I leave a week from tomorrow. This has been the weirdest "packing set up" I can ever recall. It has been many years since I have gone away for a week on a land trip and I am going with a carry on and tote bag only. I think I will pack the right stuff LOL........it is a very casual trip that is for sure. 

Hope Melody and family are having a good time😃

Cynthia, are you over in the UK yet? Wishing you a safe trip. 

Lois - packing for Jackson for me would be easy:  , sunglasses, jeans, shorts, long sleeve Ts, short sleeve T, hoodie or sweater, one of my fleece vests and my light down jacket.  My typical wear here in town 😸 Unless you are going someplace foo-fooey or  dinner, jeans & Tshirts are just fine.  Oh - if you are planning to buy a cowgirl hat up there, DO NOT buy at Kemo Sabe - it's a chain and overcharges because of it's name.  JW Bennett is also wildly expensive (have both of those here in town), but fun to look at.  I've spent $175 on a hat and had a hard time with that - couldn't fathom paying $300+!!!  

Melissa - hope you are having a good time and good weather!!

OOTD: after below 30's nights and 60s days, we're returning to normal now.  Warm and sunny for awhile - low 70s today and then low-mid 80s the next 8 days.  putting on my denim shorts and a short sleeve Tshirt today - going to the market.   Tomorrow on, it'll be the same, but I'll toss in some of my sleeveless or tank Ts.  

Hi Kat, yes, it is going to be a very casual trip. It is just strange packing for a land trip. All I ever do is cruise LOL. I think I have it down. I am bringing 2 pair of jeans and those will be for evenings, one black pair and one blue. 

Daytime will be crop pants in a lightweight cotton and I am bringing 2 pair of shorts. I am packing more tops than bottoms. I will bring a Jean jacket and my warm  up jacket. 

I am not a cowboy hat person so I won't be buying one. I can't believe we all leave a week from tomorrow. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

Hi from Southhampton , we are just getting off the ship. We really enjoyed the cruise and were so lucky with the weather and sea , 

I hope Cynthia is here to get on.

Kat the cowboy hats sound fun , no ine wears them in NZ

Melissa - good to hear your cruise was a good one!  What's next now that you are off the ship?

Lois - your clothes are fine for the trip.  I had to laugh - I have my jean jacket, too, but I think of it as my travel jacket, not my wear at home jacket.   

No one actually wears a true cowboy hat here in town.  But, go over the hill 15 miles (where I get my oil changed) and it turns into cowboy country.  Jeans, big belts, boots.  I've got tickets to the rodeo in another small town over there for the first week of August.  Tickets sell out the first day they are offered.  It's a famous rodeo, one of the oldest in the country.  I've got my jeans, my boots (actually 3 pair to choose from), and a big belt.  I may need to buy a hat - I have lots of fedoras 🙂 Or, I'll just wear my straw "lifeguard" hat since I need shade from the sun out there...

OOTD:  denim shorts, linen shirt, white high tops.  Redo of the other day.  I have a little bit of shopping to do. 

For those of us who travel and come home with a nasty cough:  on another site I visit, someone mentioned she developed a horrendous cough while in Europe on vacation.  Lungs were clear.  Lots of phlegm, coughs hurt the ribs, etc.  Turns out she had whooping cough!!!  This even with the childhood vaccination.  No one gets tested for this.  It sounds like our vaccinations may be starting to give possible breakthroughs.  After 60 years I could see that happening.  So, if you do get a bad cough, ask if you can get tested.  

Bit the bullet today and filed for Social Security benefits.  You stop getting a higher rate at 70 so it didn't make sense to hold off any longer.  I thought it was 72 so that was a pleasant surprise.  I have to say that it was incredibly easy to fill out the application online.  Didn't expect that from the Federal Government!   I can keep doing my Winter work if I want and it doesn't affect anything, just add more to my bank account.  

OOTD:  denim shorts (again) and a Pact high-neck tank top.  

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 12:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi all, just a quick update. My father passed last night, just after the move to assisted living. He had been rapidly going downhill over last couple of weeks, so it wasn't a big surprise and it was peaceful. 

It's certainly been quite the month. Barring any other issues I am hoping to make my Azamara Onward cruise leaving Southampton June 20th.

Oh, condolences on loss of your Dad

Melody,😀 so good to hear from you! How is the trip going? I don't know when you are supposed to be home.........are you having a good time? How are you? How is Les? And your daughter?

I leave very early Thursday morning. 

WOW! Fabulous photos!!! So did the family have a wonderful time? I am guessing that is a big YES🙂

You look fantastic in the red number. Are you wearing a skirt? Or a long dress?

• Like 1

Lois It is a long maxi dress. The dancers at the luau came up yo me before the show & said no one wears red & that I looked fantastic. Later Les & I were called to stage as longest married couple & the dancers all hugged us (they were in red too). The girls got video, I’ll download them when we get home later today. Great trip, Vegas is brutally hot, 110 yesterday. I’ll take Hawaii (75 & tradewind breezes) any day. Melody

Hi Melody, this sounds like a VERY memorable trip!  Congrats on being honored😀

Looking forward to seeing the video.

Well, I did my first round of packing for the trip. Boy, it is so different for this one........I think I have it down though😀.Hoping so anyway! I keep checking the weather, which looks very nice for the next 10 days. Evenings show quite cool (for me anyway). Somewhere between the 40's and 50's. Long sleeves for sure LOL.....

• Like 1

Melody - Welcome home!  It looks like you all had a wonderful vacation.  Did you stay at Hale Koa again?  Oh - I didn't see anyone with a knee brace on - did DD remove it for photos?   Yes, the weather there is much nicer than Vegas.  It's too hot and all those high rises and concrete just keep it all in.  

We have upper 80s for the next few days, then down to mid 80s.  Way too hot for this time of year.  My tank tops are getting a workout.  

OOTD:  brown shorts and a light purple tank top.  Trusty mesh sneakers from my Europe trip if I go out.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Melody - Welcome home!  It looks like you all had a wonderful vacation.  Did you stay at Hale Koa again?  Oh - I didn't see anyone with a knee brace on - did DD remove it for photos?   Yes, the weather there is much nicer than Vegas.  It's too hot and all those high rises and concrete just keep it all in.  

We have upper 80s for the next few days, then down to mid 80s.  Way too hot for this time of year.  My tank tops are getting a workout.  

OOTD:  brown shorts and a light purple tank top.  Trusty mesh sneakers from my Europe trip if I go out.  

IMG_9818.jpeg

Melody - ah ha!  

Lois - the temperature number here is just a suggestion 😉  Up here at altitude, it always feels a good 10 degrees hotter.  

I found a totally out-of-the-box cruise on one of my female traveler websites.  How about a cruise on a hybrid ferry/cruise ship in December in Norway?????    Hertigruten Under $1000 for a solo inside, 7 days.  Bergen to Kirkernes.   A dark time of year.  Northern lights.  Strange foods.  Maybe I could actually get some use out of my parka that is too warm to wear here...  Kind of like doing a Caribbean cruise in August to me in reverse.  The flights to get there and back are ridiculous, of course, around $1000.   It was fun to take a look at it, though.  Some "interesting" food on the dining room menu - I mean, sheep head?????

OOTD: another hot one.  running shorts and a Woolx sleeveless T. 

Well, I have packed and re-packed a couple of times already. I think I am good at this point. A carry on and mid size tote. The tote is from LeSportsac. They have that wonderful nylon material. 

Tomorrow morning I have a Dentist appt (cleaning) and then will come home and do some cleaning. Nothing major, just some dusting and will run the vacuum.

My flight leaves at 8:30am on Thursday.I will  up early and out of the house around 6.

Well, y'all, I've been out for several weeks. In that time, the hubby and I have been hiking (we're up to almost three miles in ugly humidity. We skipped one day because the dew point was 75 at 7:15AM. 🥵

I had a near-syncopal episode at work a couple of weeks ago. A coworker drove me home and I went to the doc the next day. The gist is that my BP was stupid high and I started meds. I also wore a heart monitor for a week. One of the directions was essentially "don't sweat." In NC, during a heat wave. Ugh. Anyway, the heat and humidity were high enough that I was walking around with chest pressure due to my chronic lung disease. The meds seem to be working-my BP is starting to come down-and it will be interesting to see if the heart monitor shows anything.

Sympathy to Cynthia on the loss of her father.