for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

At the last hotel I worked at (not my current lodge), I would asked for a ginger beer from the guys at the bar when my stomach felt a little off.  They had Fever Tree.  and they had Fever Tee tonic, too.    It's been fun trying different drinks that I would never have done before.  Easy and simple ingredients are the best - no fancy fou-fou for me!!   Now I might get some of their flavors to see how they taste.

My little hamster wheel is starting to spin up again.  Spain and Portugal.  Food, wine, antiquities, beach.  Uh oh.  I can see another month-long venture in my brain,  Way too much to do!!

OOTD:  hot, hot, and smoke.  black Woolx sleeveless shirt and my denim shorts.  I have to run to the pharmacy for yet another refill.  Wish I could get them all syncronized...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

My parents frequently drink white port & tonic in the summer - because port is so much lower in alcohol than gin, it makes for a more 'drinkable' cocktail. 

I’ve never tried that, not a huge port fan

I am not a big port wine fan either but after googling white port I think I may give it a try. I have never even tasted white port before.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am not a big port wine fan either but after googling white port I think I may give it a try. I have never even tasted white port before.

I hadn't done white port before, either.  Once in awhile I've done red port as an after dinner drink with some chocolate.  It's definitely not a drink I'd do alot.  But, that white port & tonic is very good!

OOTD:  still hot, hot, hot.  Denim shorts and a Woolx Tshirt.  

• Like 1

If you are looking for something to binge-watch:  on Prime, Gino's Italian Escape.  A travel/food show made for British TV.  It's a nice easy show to watch.  Nice locations, easy recipes to cook.  

• Like 2

We finally had rain!!  10:30 last night a massive thunderstorm rolled thru. I sat in my window seat for an hour & a half watching the show. We got over 3” of rain in just that time period, it was great!!  Supposed to rain most of the day today too

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

We finally had rain!!  10:30 last night a massive thunderstorm rolled thru. I sat in my window seat for an hour & a half watching the show. We got over 3” of rain in just that time period, it was great!!  Supposed to rain most of the day today too

Lucky you in Colorado Springs!  Looks like it came up from the South and missed Utah.  We had just enough to wet the cement on the back patio.  The fields and hills are looking all brown and dry already.   Our forecast is no precip for the next 10 days.  

OOTD:  Woolx Tshirt and my black flowered bike-short-length tights.  Cool and comfy!

• Like 1

Tomorrow I leave for Cape Cod until Saturday. Then Sunday I board the ship in Boston for a Canada/NE cruise.  This is one of my favorite itineraries so I'm looking forward  to seeing a few new ports.

• Like 3

I'm going on the Emerald Princess. I chose this cruise for a couple of reasons. Most of the  Canada/NE cruises begin at the end of August for the foliage fans. I was looking for something during the summer. I also wanted round trip Boston .The only two I found were Princess and Holland America.  So when I saw a round trip itinerary, I booked Princess.

My go-to lines are Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Princess has something called a medallion instead of a sea pass card. You wear it on your wrist or you can wear it around your neck. That'll be different. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WELDON said:

I'm going on the Emerald Princess. I chose this cruise for a couple of reasons. Most of the  Canada/NE cruises begin at the end of August for the foliage fans. I was looking for something during the summer. I also wanted round trip Boston .The only two I found were Princess and Holland America.  So when I saw a round trip itinerary, I booked Princess.

My go-to lines are Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Princess has something called a medallion instead of a sea pass card. You wear it on your wrist or you can wear it around your neck. That'll be different. 

We’re almost always Celebrity with an occasional Royal. Now that you get equivalent status on Royal & Seabourn we might give Seabourn a try. We were supposed to do a Panama Canal on Holland in October but they cancelled the Canal portion so we cancelled out.

I don’t think I’d enjoy having to wear a medallion. Let me know how you like Princess. Melody 

Good morning.........Kat, I just saw that Salt Lake City will be hosting the 2034 Winter Olympics!

I am sure the state will be overloaded with guests!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning.........Kat, I just saw that Salt Lake City will be hosting the 2034 Winter Olympics!

I am sure the state will be overloaded with guests!

Yes, we're back on the Olympics track!  

We're lucky in that we've done excellent maintenance of the facilities we built for 2002 so that major expense isn't there.   I didn't feel that we were overloaded with guests in 2002.  The couple of times I went up to our Main St. when I wasn't working at the track were not crowded.  I got to go to one medals ceremony/concert (Dave Matthews Band) the night before I started working at the track.  It was down in Salt Lake.  It was a tad crowded to drive & park.  Same with Opening & Closing Ceremonies.  Maybe we'll get more activity since Park City is more of a known place.  Still won't bother me.   Back then I still had my "big house".  the now-ex and I hosted some of the skeleton athletes we got to know over the years that weren't selected to compete.  Great Britain, Jamaica, Canada, US.  It gave them a free place to stay so they could still be a part of the fun with their sliding friends.  

• Like 2

Hey y'all. 

Thanks for everyone who posted condolences. I did make my cruise although there were a few moments where it felt at bit surreal to be there. I loved the weather (mid-70s daytime) especially since there was a heat wave at home while I was gone (mid 90s to high 90s). Yikes. I loved the quaint small towns and the scenery was beautiful. I'd done the Scotland "basics" before -- Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Loch Ness, etc. but the northern islands blew me away. You can't count on beautiful weather (it's Scotland, after all), but we were pretty lucky with rain -- it was only really bad on one day.  I'll try to post a few pics soon.

The pre-cruise days in London were nice too. The special Roman exhibit at the British Museum was my highlight. Stuff from all over the world was loaned. I've seen a lot of Roman things but one item was a real "one of a kind" and it was discovered in Syria -- a Roman military shield, complete and with all of its paint. It was beautiful. 

Bath was as nice as I remembered too. Spent 3 days there. Visited the Roman baths again and spent the other days just wandering.

The cruise itself was nice. Love Azamara. Friendly fellow passengers. There were a few minor things that changed since my cruise with them last fall, but overall I think they are still my favorite line currently. @MrToblerone, what did you think?

Since I've been back I've been dealing with my issues with my teeth. No fun for me, but not worth getting into here other than saying that the oral surgeon told me my mouth was "too small" for them to be able to do an implant for my tooth at the very back of mouth, on the bottom. So they just extracted it. For once my little mouth has saved me $$$$.

Now I am planning for my mid-August Norwegian fjords cruise on HAL.

• Like 5

Hi Cynthia, welcome home and glad you had such a good time😃 sounds like everything went well!

So sorry about your teeth and hope all goes ok going forward. How is your Mom doing?

And yes, the weather has been HOT all over the place (around these parts). Mid 70s sound great so glad you had good weather on your trip too!

Welcome home Cynthia.  I'm happy for you to have had a good time on the cruise.  

I know all about a "too small" mouth.  When I was a kid, we had one dentist in town.  When my permanent teeth started to come in, he said my mouth was too small for all of them, so he yanked the first molar that came in on the bottom.  Never noticed a problem without it all these years!  

Melody - we finally got a little bit of ran overnight.  It came with some lightning and thunder.  I was still awake at 2am and I could see the lightning through my bedroom window blinds.  It did chase some of the smoke away.  

We have our annual Arts Festival in town next weekend.  It's a huge thing.  All of Main St. is shut down and turned into a sea of artwork.  Several thousand people a day cram into 4 blocks of town.  It's literally tent-to-tent people all the way down the street.  I'll stay away.  Too many people, no air, way too hot (and hotter with our temps now).   It used to be fun to go, but as with all things as they get popular, just too much now.   I have tickets for the county Rodeo anyway -that would be too much time outside in the sun to do both.

OOTD:  my very old Athleta hoodie mini dress.  It's always a good summer standby.  Going to settle in and watch the Opening Ceremonies. 

• Like 1

Welcome back Cynthia ,hopefully things have settled down for you.

We really enjoyed Azamara ,we knew that the bathrooms were going to be small and they were fine .The staff were all so nice and the food was just as good as on higher end cruise lines we have sailed on .They also stay in Ports a lot longer it seemed .We would definitely sail on them again.

Kat Im with you on crowds .

Melody your outfits have been nice and you are looking well after your surgery ,although I suppose its been a month or so now.

Enjoy the Olympics everyone ,if sport is your thing

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrToblerone said:

Welcome back Cynthia ,hopefully things have settled down for you.

We really enjoyed Azamara ,we knew that the bathrooms were going to be small and they were fine .The staff were all so nice and the food was just as good as on higher end cruise lines we have sailed on .They also stay in Ports a lot longer it seemed .We would definitely sail on them again.

Kat Im with you on crowds .

Melody your outfits have been nice and you are looking well after your surgery ,although I suppose its been a month or so now.

Enjoy the Olympics everyone ,if sport is your thing

Hi Melissa, today is the Opening Ceremony.......Paris did a fantastic job!

Celene Dion looked and sounded awesome!

And yes, I am a,big sports fan and will be following the swimming, gymnastics ( go Simone!) And the 2nd week is track and field. Those are the 3 I always watch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, welcome home and glad you had such a good time😃 sounds like everything went well!

So sorry about your teeth and hope all goes ok going forward. How is your Mom doing?

My mom is struggling with accepting his death. She's got dementia and unfortunately, my dad's presence helped keep her tethered to reality. It's sad, but in some ways maybe it's better if she "forgets" at times that he's gone.

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I know all about a "too small" mouth.  When I was a kid, we had one dentist in town.  When my permanent teeth started to come in, he said my mouth was too small for all of them, so he yanked the first molar that came in on the bottom.  Never noticed a problem without it all these years!  

Ack. Yeah, every dentist has told me how my mouth is so small that it's difficult for them to work with me. When I was a kid, my orthodontist wanted to extract two teeth when putting on braces to give him "room" to position my teeth. My parents said no way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cynthia - my heart goes out to your mother and you.  I cannot fathom what your mother is going through.  I've not had a person with dementia in my family to know the issues.  I can only send you my love.

Lois - I grew up in sports.  I had school mates, a teacher, and teammates participate in various Summer Olympics.  Swimming and water polo were my things.  I still love to watch them, but I've added some of those other sports.  Watched Men's Rugby Sevens games this morning.  I'll watch soccer when it's on - it'll be like the World Cup all over again.  One of my dorm floor friends was a volleyball player and did both court and beach.  I do like watching all the volleyball, too.  I just saw the US men decimate Australia in the 4x100 free relay - it was supposed to be tight, but it wasn't close.  Now, I'm watching women's beach volleyball.  So nice to see the women are now allowed to wear legging instead of just a bikini bottom.  Never understood why that was in the rules.

Still too hot for me.  My ceiling fans and my new (thanks Prime Day) floor pedestal fan are working hard to keep me just hot, not boiling.  I'm running out of sparkling water, so I'll have to switch to tap water with some Just Lemon/Lime/Grapefruit in it.

Best line I've seen so far on Olympics:  "Snoop Dogg carried the blunt, I mean torch"  when someone commented on Snoop's leg of the torch run.  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Hi Kat, Oh, I watch other events too😃....I was naming the 3 I really love. And I saw that Men's relay as well!  Track and Field doesn't starts until week 2. And this week basketball starts as well.

Tomorrow Simone Biles and the gymnastics begins......hopefully she will knock it out of the park!😃

I went out for lunch today and it was so good.....I was going to take a picture but totally forgot LOL......I had a burger that was 1/2 bison and 1/2 sausage.....it had guacamole, tomato and cheese on it along with an over medium egg and fingerling potatoes.........it was delicious😃 The potatoes were on the side LOL

• Like 2

Screamed for guys 4x100 relay, dominating performance. Nice to see France win Rugby, impressive win. Beach volleyball now. I’m a , happy gal

44 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, Oh, I watch other events too😃....I was naming the 3 I really love. And I saw that Men's relay as well!  Track and Field doesn't starts until week 2. And this week basketball starts as well.

Tomorrow Simone Biles and the gymnastics begins......hopefully she will knock it out of the park!😃

I went out for lunch today and it was so good.....I was going to take a picture but totally forgot LOL......I had a burger that was 1/2 bison and 1/2 sausage.....it had guacamole, tomato and cheese on it along with an over medium egg and fingerling potatoes.........it was delicious😃 The potatoes were on the side LOL

You could leave the egg off mine.....I love bison burgers.

Hi,,Kat, I saw the beach volleyball too and I agree with you....I. think the leggings looked much better than the old bikini bottoms. I mean I don't care that they wore them but I definitely like these better.

• Like 1