Refunds

Globetrotter21

2 minutes ago, choppe said:

My April cruise was cancelled but also have a December cruise booked. Does anyone know if I can apply my FCC and OBC from April's cancellation towards my December cruise or it it has be for a new booking?  I have not chosen between a full refund or FCC yet because I would like to know the answer to my question first.

My PVP told me you can apply the FCC to an existing booking but not the $600 OBC, it is for new bookings only. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

My PVP told me you can apply the FCC to an existing booking but not the $600 OBC, it is for new bookings only. 

Thank you.  That is what I was thinking would happen.

3 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

It might depend on how new the booking is.  I put 5 rooms on hold, then called up and had them move all money over and the obc as well onto those bookings.  Would be worth trying.

2 minutes ago, rukkian said:

It might depend on how new the booking is.  I put 5 rooms on hold, then called up and had them move all money over and the obc as well onto those bookings.  Would be worth trying.

You are correct, that is what I did too. I should clarify that you can’t use the $600 OBC for an existing booking that was made before the Coronavirus problem became an issue, I am sure Carnival has an exact date.

I rebooked my cancelled April 4th cruise to July 25th. I asked my PVP if I decided to cancel the July cruise could I add the FCC and $600 OBC to a cruise I have booked for May 2021. The answer was yes for the FCC, no on the OBC. We want to do it so if the ship sails so will we, I hope we don’t have go through this again, fingers crossed! 

I have sailed on Carnival over 20 times. I am also platinum on Princess  and have several cruises on HAL.  I have never had a problem with any of the ships we cruised other than we had to get off  when our vacation was over.  But Now I am pulling my hair out.  I had to cancel a cruise for June 2020. I had used AARP Carnival gift cards to pay for it.  The cancellation was due to my having surgery. The cruise was totally paid for. I cancelled before final payment.  Carnival said my refund would be in gift cards. That was fine with me. That I would get a cancellation notice. ( I did not), and the cards would reach me in 8 to 10 days.   They did not. I called Carnival. I was told it would take 90 days for me to get my refund.  I called again the next week and was told I needed to check with guest services and I was put on hold. And I stayed on hold  for an hour. Then I had to hang up.I know this has been a stressful time for Carnival, but it is impossible to get anyone  to give me an answer. No one knows when the cards were mailed. They know the cruise was cancelled. NO one knows when the refund was mailed or if it was mailed. (They suggested my address  was wrong.  You have to sign for those cards when the Postman delivers them. We have lived in the same house for 45 years. we have had the same mailman for years.) IS there anyone in Carnival who can tell me when my cards were mailed , IF  they were mailed, so I can track them down.? The refund was for an Alaska cruise that cost over $3,000.00.
And I am not mad at Carnival. We would use the cards on another cruise. But I cannot get anyone at Carnival who can tell me anything about my refund.  Thank you for any advice you have to give.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AmberTeka said:

I have sailed on Carnival over 20 times. I am also platinum on Princess  and have several cruises on HAL.  I have never had a problem with any of the ships we cruised other than we had to get off  when our vacation was over.  But Now I am pulling my hair out.  I had to cancel a cruise for June 2020. I had used AARP Carnival gift cards to pay for it.  The cancellation was due to my having surgery. The cruise was totally paid for. I cancelled before final payment.  Carnival said my refund would be in gift cards. That was fine with me. That I would get a cancellation notice. ( I did not), and the cards would reach me in 8 to 10 days.   They did not. I called Carnival. I was told it would take 90 days for me to get my refund.  I called again the next week and was told I needed to check with guest services and I was put on hold. And I stayed on hold  for an hour. Then I had to hang up.I know this has been a stressful time for Carnival, but it is impossible to get anyone  to give me an answer. No one knows when the cards were mailed. They know the cruise was cancelled. NO one knows when the refund was mailed or if it was mailed. (They suggested my address  was wrong.  You have to sign for those cards when the Postman delivers them. We have lived in the same house for 45 years. we have had the same mailman for years.) IS there anyone in Carnival who can tell me when my cards were mailed , IF  they were mailed, so I can track them down.? The refund was for an Alaska cruise that cost over $3,000.00.
And I am not mad at Carnival. We would use the cards on another cruise. But I cannot get anyone at Carnival who can tell me anything about my refund.  Thank you for any advice you have to give.

They are obviously swamped. Give them some time.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

They are obviously swamped. Give them some time.

Yes. They are definitely swamped.  To add to the mess is there are different options for cancelled cruises or people who decide to cancel.  It takes more time to make sure what each person is entitled to.  

We happened to cancel a cruise on March 11.  It was before final payment date and we did booked with a fully refundable deposit.  Our refund was on our credit card in 2 or 3 days.  They didn't have to go through checking what was a FCC and what was to be refunded.  Ours was simple and easy, a definite benefit of a fully refundable deposit that was only $20 pp more than ES.   Also we did not use gift cards which also made things easier.  Most people have booked through a special offer including many forms of ES or Past Guest ES etc.  Each having its own set of rules for what is non refundable.  That affects the resulting FCC.  It will take them a lot of time to get it all sorted out.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

My refund, if I ever get it, is coming back on AARP 

gift cards because that is how I paid for it.
I cancelled on March 10th.
I requested a cancellation notice.
I never got one.
I called last Friday and was told it would be 90 days. NOT CASH. gift cards. ( Gift cards are fine. I did not  ask for a refund on my credit cared)
I was told to call back on Monday, March 23. I did. NO one at Carnival knows when the cards were mailed to me. But it is my fault if  they are lost. YOU have to sign for their cards. We have lived in the same house for 45 years. Our mailman has been here for years. I order a lot from online sites. He knows my name and address..
So on Monday I was transferred to Guest Services. I was put on hold. After an hour or so, I hung up.
I am not good at keeping on calling people who are rude,. Dismissive. I know Carnival is having a difficult time right now. SO am I . I cancelled the cruise because I had three artery surgeries in a one week period. And it worked out well.    
Now......does anyone know any department at Carnival which answers  their phones, and can tell me when they mailed those cards?  if they do,  I can go to the Post office and see if they got hung up there.  The refund of gift cards is over $3000.00  Took me a good bit of time to save it up.
To Date......I have never before had an issue with Carnival. And we have sailed many, many times on most of the Carnival line. Thanks for any advice.

44 minutes ago, AmberTeka said:

My refund, if I ever get it, is coming back on AARP 

gift cards because that is how I paid for it.
I cancelled on March 10th.
I requested a cancellation notice.
I never got one.
I called last Friday and was told it would be 90 days. NOT CASH. gift cards. ( Gift cards are fine. I did not  ask for a refund on my credit cared)
I was told to call back on Monday, March 23. I did. NO one at Carnival knows when the cards were mailed to me. But it is my fault if  they are lost. YOU have to sign for their cards. We have lived in the same house for 45 years. Our mailman has been here for years. I order a lot from online sites. He knows my name and address..
So on Monday I was transferred to Guest Services. I was put on hold. After an hour or so, I hung up.
I am not good at keeping on calling people who are rude,. Dismissive. I know Carnival is having a difficult time right now. SO am I . I cancelled the cruise because I had three artery surgeries in a one week period. And it worked out well.    
Now......does anyone know any department at Carnival which answers  their phones, and can tell me when they mailed those cards?  if they do,  I can go to the Post office and see if they got hung up there.  The refund of gift cards is over $3000.00  Took me a good bit of time to save it up.
To Date......I have never before had an issue with Carnival. And we have sailed many, many times on most of the Carnival line. Thanks for any advice.

You calling the correct numbers, they are swamped.  We have had to wait on hold 2 hours.  Glad your surgeries went well.  

Thanks for the advice. Thanks for Cruise Critic.  Just blowing off some steam made me feel better. I do know they are swamped. I have cancelled a cruise in past, and I think I received an e-mail that they were coming, and they were delivered by Fed.X
I don't think I will pay with gift cards again, though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AmberTeka said:

Thanks for the advice. Thanks for Cruise Critic.  Just blowing off some steam made me feel better. I do know they are swamped. I have cancelled a cruise in past, and I think I received an e-mail that they were coming, and they were delivered by Fed.X

I'm stressed enough waiting for my $3,000+ to hit my bank account (paid with Visa Debit) - I can't imagine waiting for gift cards and hoping they don't get lost somewhere. Good luck!

1 hour ago, AmberTeka said:

Yes I totally agree with you on this one.  I have always used the gift cards on Carnival and this year on a Princess Alaskan cruise and have never had any issues or problems in the past how many years.  However, with all of this and seeing how difficult things can become I also think the gift card savings isn't worth all the extra stress.  Try to hang-in there as I am as well, we have over 10K invested in an Alaskan cruise that we cancelled due to all of this.  So I understand the anxiety that goes along with the waiting game.  I have faith that Carnival Corp. as a whole will follow through and do the right thing in the end!  Be safe!

Be patient. They are issuing an extreme amount of refunds and it is not an automatic process. In addition, they are likely short staffed in Miami due to all of the lockdowns. Absolutely everything has come to a stand still and when they said 90 days, they meant it. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all who responded to my post.  The cruise I had to cancel was an Alaskan cruise. Now that  I know others are in the same situation, I feel more hopeful of one day getting those gift cards back. ( or new ones to replace them)
Cruise Critic is a great source of reliable information.

Did you guys get any kind of email after you cancelled? I requested a refund 3 days ago. Was told I would have it in 10 days and my cruise disappeared from “my cruises” but I’ve no email confirmation. Just a cruise gone. Poof. I asked the lady for a conf # that I called or something but she gave me her name and said I would get an email. It’s unsettling. 

I read on another board here that when the refund is processed your cruise disappears from "my cruises."  Someone else said they are processing them according to sail date... Quite a few people are reporting their frustration with no confirmation email. Anyway, our cruise was cancelled by Carnival and I filled out the form asking for refund last weekend. It's still showing in my account, so I guess they haven't gotten it processed yet.

3 hours ago, ifihadamilliondollars said:

Did you guys get any kind of email after you cancelled? I requested a refund 3 days ago. Was told I would have it in 10 days and my cruise disappeared from “my cruises” but I’ve no email confirmation. Just a cruise gone. Poof. I asked the lady for a conf # that I called or something but she gave me her name and said I would get an email. It’s unsettling. 

It's been 18 days since we cancelled. We never got a confirmation email, it just disappeared from our My Cruises page. The FCC for the penalty was applied to our rebooked cruise within a couple of days, but we are still waiting for the rest of the $3,000+ paid-in-full cruise fare to refund to our bank account. Before I cancelled I took screen shots so I would have proof of the booking. I also called a few days later and they said the refund had "processed," whatever that means.

It has been 18 days since my cancellation, too. I have repeatedly asked for an email confirmation. Today, 18 days later, I finally received one - well, if you can call it that. It basically told me that I would get X amount as a FCC and to submit a form to have this applied when I book my cruise.

My problem here is that

a) There was no mention of the amount that should have been refunded had I opted for the FCC

b) Nothing has been refunded to my cc

c) I opted for a full refund rather than FCC

I guess I will have to call (again) tomorrow

On 3/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Globetrotter21 said:

Has anyone received their refund yet for a cancelled cruise? I canceled about 2 weeks ago and still have not received it. How long does it take?

Hang in there.  I just rebooked my cruise and while doing it she said they see the refund process has been started. I am guessing I cancelled 2 weeks ago?

8 hours ago, bud said:

update from previous post.  Still nothing no emails and when I  go online no history of any booking Poof.

Very frustrated.  

Yes i find that unsettling too. However, I can prove I paid them with credit card statement if necessary and I have emails showing my cruise on apr 19 was paid in full. So they can’t get away with not refunding. I certainly hope they wouldn’t try to pull something like that. I would never cruise with them again if they did.