Refunds

Globetrotter21

58 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

P.S. Carnival and the cruise industry want help from the stimulus package.........IMMEDIATELY! Not 90 days!

cruise lines are not included in the stimulus package that is in the Senate now.  Ships are registered with foreign countries and most of 5he crew are foreign as well.  

1 hour ago, pzsdd6 said:

Isn’t it ironic that the Carnival and the cruise industry are being quite vocal about how bad their business has been hurt and how hard up they are for cash to operate, and yet with the economy tanked, people out of work and desperately short of cash, Carnival withholds refunds to people that really could use it!

Hmmmmm

I will post on your reply and then move on.  They are buried with requests and working through them, withholding nothing.  Stimulus package and whether they get some or not has zero to do with it.  You are out money and I understand that, but a jaded view helps none of it.

• Like 3

I am still waiting on my refund and have got as far as finally receiving a confirmation via email for the cancellation - it took 3 and a half weeks of constantly calling, emailing, posting on social media to get this. I cancelled my cruise for March 21st on March 10th. I cancelled myself, prior to the the announcement of mass cancellations. I had an annual insurance plan that confirmed it would cover the non-refundable amount completely. However, in order to claim from my insurance, I needed proof of cancellation.. I was unable to get this proof from Carnival. The timeframe to submit the documents to claim on insurance passed and I have since requested the full refund option from Carnival. So far I have received no refund for anything. Carnival is not alone. I also cancelled with Princess. While communication with Princess has been far better, I have still received no refund from them, either.

I understand that they are overwhelmed and have a lot of refunds to process. However, they are imploring customers to stick with them and they will need to build up their business again once this is done. Had the refunds been issued promptly (or even an email from Carnival) I was 100% ready to rebook 2 weeks ago. As it stands now, I will not be in hurry to book anything for a long time. I have bookings for next year and 2022 that were made a while back but nothing else for this year. Both lines have lost out on my business for this year and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would have already booked again had the refunds been processed.

I am not complaining, just giving my opinion. There are far bigger things to worry about right now than whether or not I get to take a vacation in the future. It would sure be nice to get the money back in my account and not be paying the 19.99% interest that Canadian credit card companies like to charge but for now I will worry about when we will be allowed out of our house again, or when my children will be allowed to return to school.

I'll try to make a long story short.  My daughter was to be married on Vista 3/14.  The cruises were all cancelled 3/13.  I finally spoke to Carnival Weddings on the 14th after hours on hold and was told wedding was cancelled and I'd get a refund in 7-10 days.  We had a lot of guests from near and far there so we had an impromptu wedding 3/14 in good faith that we'd get a wedding refund.  Guess what, we have not.

They owe me thousands.  I need that money.  I've been told 7-10 days since the 14th.  Today they said 2-3 months. 

I'm an understanding person.  I get that there are thousands of cruisers affected.  But how many brides?  If Carnival wants to participate in the wedding business they need to do much better!  They didn't even call the bride or groom to let them know their big day, planned since Jan 2018, was cancelled!

58 minutes ago, lulamc said:

I'll try to make a long story short.  My daughter was to be married on Vista 3/14.  The cruises were all cancelled 3/13.  I finally spoke to Carnival Weddings on the 14th after hours on hold and was told wedding was cancelled and I'd get a refund in 7-10 days.  We had a lot of guests from near and far there so we had an impromptu wedding 3/14 in good faith that we'd get a wedding refund.  Guess what, we have not.

They owe me thousands.  I need that money.  I've been told 7-10 days since the 14th.  Today they said 2-3 months. 

I'm an understanding person.  I get that there are thousands of cruisers affected.  But how many brides?  If Carnival wants to participate in the wedding business they need to do much better!  They didn't even call the bride or groom to let them know their big day, planned since Jan 2018, was cancelled!

This is the kind of situation I’m referring to. I was supposed to sail 3-14. Never received any communication that things had all been canceled. Showed up at the cruise port and “surprise” you’re not going on a cruise. Carnival’s handling of things for myself and others have gone downhill quickly.

Sorry to hear about the wedding. I hope they find a way to get married move forward. I realize that not being able to go on a cruise is a trivial matter compared to what is happening in the world right now, however there are still rights and wrongs no matter the situation.

3 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

P.S. Carnival and the cruise industry want help from the stimulus package.........IMMEDIATELY! Not 90 days!

Wow... you're flipping out over 90 days??? United Airlines has $3000 of mine that they won't refund until a year after April 9th, 2020 (the day we were supposed to fly out to Mexico).  How's that for an interest free loan????

You need to chill...

1 minute ago, TAIC1234 said:

Wow... you're flipping out over 90 days??? United Airlines has $3000 of mine that they won't refund until a year after April 9th, 2020 (the day we were supposed to fly out to Mexico).  How's that for an interest free loan????

You need to chill...

Wow! A year......that’s just not right. So sorry to hear that. I would definitely try and dispute that with the credit card company, if you haven’t already. For me, the refund from Carnival is not going to break me. It’s the principle. Carnival holds its customers accountable right down the line. They will cancel your cruise and keep your deposit if you’re 1 second late on a payment, but when they are on the hook for a refund.........we’ll you all can see just how much they value their customers.....same goes for United.

1 hour ago, lulamc said:

We totally understand. We made our way all the way to cape Canaveral to sail on the 14th only to get an email at 1am informing us the cruise was cancelled (many many hrs after every other cruise line made announcements and Trump announced it on Twitter).  We knew there was the chance it would be cancelled but that's not the issue. The issue is Carnival obviously has communication issues, or they just don't value their customers. I filled out the form the following day requesting full refund and still to this day not even a confirmation email, much less a refund on the cruise, the drink packages or the internet packages. Absolutely no communication whatsoever. It is ridiculous if you ask me.  Fast forward to today and we are down half of our income and are evidently being forced to give carnival an interest free loan without them being courteous enough to even send a confirmation email or any communication whatsoever.  This cruise was the 2nd time we have given Carnival "another chance".  Without a doubt this will be the last dealings we have with them

23 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

Wow! A year......that’s just not right. So sorry to hear that. I would definitely try and dispute that with the credit card company, if you haven’t already. For me, the refund from Carnival is not going to break me. It’s the principle. Carnival holds its customers accountable right down the line. They will cancel your cruise and keep your deposit if you’re 1 second late on a payment, but when they are on the hook for a refund.........we’ll you all can see just how much they value their customers.....same goes for United.

Agree.. the refund is not going to make or break us either. But like you said it's the principal.. the extremely poor communication, the "I don't care attitude"  they come across as having

1 minute ago, zpdw484 said:

We totally understand. We made our way all the way to cape Canaveral to sail on the 14th only to get an email at 1am informing us the cruise was cancelled (many many hrs after every other cruise line made announcements and Trump announced it on Twitter).  We knew there was the chance it would be cancelled but that's not the issue. The issue is Carnival obviously has communication issues, or they just don't value their customers. I filled out the form the following day requesting full refund and still to this day not even a confirmation email, much less a refund on the cruise, the drink packages or the internet packages. Absolutely no communication whatsoever. It is ridiculous if you ask me.  Fast forward to today and we are down half of our income and are evidently being forced to give carnival an interest free loan without them being courteous enough to even send a confirmation email or any communication whatsoever.  This cruise was the 2nd time we have given Carnival "another chance".  Without a doubt this will be the last dealings we have with them

How sows it tell you they have communication issues?  What is the acceptable time limit to notify their customers?  Has any thing like this ever happened before?  I have a lot more questions, if you want.  Listen you can take your cruise dollars wherever you want whenever you want.  Like you we were supposed til that Saturday and prepared to get on the ship.   Like us, you had plenty of opportunity to cancel before the cruise.  The were prepared to sail.  They were told just before 6 pm that they should not.  It takes time to coordinate that effort.  You canlike that and/or accept it but that is the reason.  

On 3/23/2020 at 10:12 AM, Kabal22 said:

I have been wondering this also.  Mine was canceled when they suspended operations and I filled out for the refund.

I paid for mine earlier this year and am still in the dispute window with me credit card company.  I wondered about going ahead and filing a dispute while I still have the option.  I also have a shore excursion I have not gotten refunded yet for.  I just don't want to see Carnival hold it against me for filing a dispute; which I have heard horror stories of other lines banning passengers who tried to dispute charges.  Has anyone had experience filing a CC dispute with them before?  

I don’t understand why you are disputing the charges? You made the charges. You just need to wait like us all for our refunds to land to our credit cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

How sows it tell you they have communication issues?  What is the acceptable time limit to notify their customers?  Has any thing like this ever happened before?  I have a lot more questions, if you want.  Listen you can take your cruise dollars wherever you want whenever you want.  Like you we were supposed til that Saturday and prepared to get on the ship.   Like us, you had plenty of opportunity to cancel before the cruise.  The were prepared to sail.  They were told just before 6 pm that they should not.  It takes time to coordinate that effort.  You canlike that and/or accept it but that is the reason.  

A. They have communication issues because people had to find out from president Trump on Twitter that their cruise was cancelled. This was not the case with other cruise lines. There has been no communication since 1am  march 14th while they are holding all of our money and we have done everything asked of us.

B. Not sure what the acceptable time limit should be. Maybe we should ask one of the other cruise lines or president Trump's Twitter account.

C. No nothing like this has happened before. Doesn't mean they haven't handled it poorly

D. I will most definitely take my cruise dollars somewhere else. Somewhere where they atleast pretend to value my business.

E. Yes we had the opportunity to cancel before driving all the way to Florida. And yes we should have but no one is complaining about the cruise being cancelled. We absolutely should not have sailed. I think we can all agree on that so not sure why you are even bringing that up. Point is from that day on they have handled it poorly. Poor communication, etc. We, the customer have done everything asked of us and we have not received the first word from carnival. Heck I wouldn't even know about the 90 day time frame if it wasn't for cruisecritic.  I'm sorry but it's just inexcusable

Everyone is going through their own issues and problems right now. Everyone,  including the cruise lines, but it would atleast be nice if they pretended to halfway give a crap. 

51 minutes ago, zpdw484 said:

A. They have communication issues because people had to find out from president Trump on Twitter that their cruise was cancelled. This was not the case with other cruise lines. There has been no communication since 1am  march 14th while they are holding all of our money and we have done everything asked of us.

B. Not sure what the acceptable time limit should be. Maybe we should ask one of the other cruise lines or president Trump's Twitter account.

C. No nothing like this has happened before. Doesn't mean they haven't handled it poorly

D. I will most definitely take my cruise dollars somewhere else. Somewhere where they atleast pretend to value my business.

E. Yes we had the opportunity to cancel before driving all the way to Florida. And yes we should have but no one is complaining about the cruise being cancelled. We absolutely should not have sailed. I think we can all agree on that so not sure why you are even bringing that up. Point is from that day on they have handled it poorly. Poor communication, etc. We, the customer have done everything asked of us and we have not received the first word from carnival. Heck I wouldn't even know about the 90 day time frame if it wasn't for cruisecritic.  I'm sorry but it's just inexcusable

Everyone is going through their own issues and problems right now. Everyone,  including the cruise lines, but it would atleast be nice if they pretended to halfway give a crap. 

F. Even allowing for the 90 day refund policy, there is no excuse for not sending out cancellation emails that should be an automated reponse

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

A:  they found out when Trump did at 5:30.  Their decision to sail eliminates the other cruise and makes that point moot.  
B   Nobody else was open except Carnival ships so cant knock them for that

C.  Or they best they possibly could so this is moot also

D.  Their sailing or not is your opinion.  Mine is opposite of that.  Tell me how they handled this poorly?  They do, trust me, we talk to them every single day.  They care more than you know. 

13 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

A:  they found out when Trump did at 5:30.  Their decision to sail eliminates the other cruise and makes that point moot.  
B   Nobody else was open except Carnival ships so cant knock them for that

C.  Or they best they possibly could so this is moot also

D.  Their sailing or not is your opinion.  Mine is opposite of that.  Tell me how they handled this poorly?  They do, trust me, we talk to them every single day.  They care more than you know. 

A.  So if they found out at 530 maybe they should have let their passengers know like royal, msc and NCL. All 3 of these lines made it public shortly before Trump's tweet, but not Carnival, therefore "communication issues"

B.  Royal and NCL were operating that day. We were sitting at grills eating coconut shrimp while the Mariner of the seas had muster drill and sailed just before royal made the announcement of cruises cancelled as of 3/14

C. If this is the best they could do then they have some serious issues

D. Tell you how they have handled this poorly?? Just read back through this thread... When you talk to them tomorrow please tell them we would all like to have our hard earned money back or atleast throw in some interest if they're gonna force us to give them an extended small business loan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Lucky you. Most of us got nothing. It took me 3 weeks of constant requests to get one. This is an easily automated thing, just like the booking confirmation.

How did you book?

2 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

A.  So if they found out at 530 maybe they should have let their passengers know like royal, msc and NCL. All 3 of these lines made it public shortly before Trump's tweet, but not Carnival, therefore "communication issues"

B.  Royal and NCL were operating that day. We were sitting at grills eating coconut shrimp while the Mariner of the seas had muster drill and sailed just before royal made the announcement of cruises cancelled as of 3/14

C. If this is the best they could do then they have some serious issues

D. Tell you how they have handled this poorly?? Just read back through this thread... When you talk to them tomorrow please tell them we would all like to have our hard earned money back or atleast throw in some interest if they're gonna force us to give them an extended small business loan

My last post on the subject and I will move on as you just keep saying the same thing over and over.  

A. The difference between them and the others is the others made the decision not to cruise and were already notifying their clients (BTW, I have no idea when royal or NCL notified clients do you have facts on that?).  AGAIN, Carnival was cruising until they were told not to, therefore they had to come out and build the plan for 104 ships (minus 18 for Princess) times 3000 people and scramble to do this.  Sounds to me like that was acceptable.

I really do not care what you were eating but both NCL and Royal made  the decision to cancel before being told...period.  You can call it whatever you like.  I not only read back I was involved as a TA during the process, I think I have a pretty good idea what was happening.  You can call the refund whatever you like as well.  Happy cruising.

Edited by jimbo5544

15 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Everybody that used a TA or PVP got notified via email..  MAybe you did something wrong.

Maybe you are saying that you received a notice that the cruise you were about to take was cancelled. I'm NOT arguing that point. My point is that after cancelling my cruise myself (BEFORE the mass cancellation announcement) it was next to impossible to get a confirmation from Carnival to acknowledge that I had cancelled and the amount of the non-refundable costs - this was required by my insurance company. Had Carnival been forthcoming and provided this, they would not have to refund me anything as I was 100% covered.

And as a TA MYSELF, I don't believe I did anything wrong! Please enlighten me....

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

My last post on the subject and I will move on as you just keep saying the same thing over and over.  

A. The difference between them and the others is the others made the decision not to cruise and were already notifying their clients (BTW, I have no idea when royal or NCL notified clients do you have facts on that?).  AGAIN, Carnival was cruising until they were told not to, therefore they had to come out and build the plan for 104 ships (minus 18 for Princess) times 3000 people and scramble to do this.  Sounds to me like that was acceptable.

I really do not care what you were eating but both NCL and Royal made  the decision to cancel before being told...period.  You can call it whatever you like.  I not only read back I was involved as a TA during the process, I think I have a pretty good idea what was happening.  You can call the refund whatever you like as well.  Happy cruising.

Just to chime in on when Royal and NCL informed the public, it was mid afternoon on the 13th.  Princess and Disney announced the day before on the 12th.  Royal and NCL announced almost simultaneously on the 13th.  Then an hour or two passed and the president announced that an agreement was struck and that Royal, NCL and Carnival were ceasing cruises.  People immediately began contacting Carnival, just to be told by staff that they were definitely still sailing.  Carnival never even informed their staff, but finally publicly announced several hours after the president that yes, cruises were canceled. 

Don't get me wrong, none of the cruises lines were prepared or handled it smoothly, but Carnival by far handled it the worst.  In the days leading up to it, there were initial changes made to cruise regulations in regards to those at high risk (i.e. underlying conditions) being refused boarding without doctor's notes.  Again in this case, Carnival was not only the last to tell their passengers, but once again the last to communicate the changes to their own staff who straight up told people this was all rumors and lies.  Carnival has definitely exhibited communication issues.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

(BTW, I have no idea when royal or NCL notified clients do you have facts on that?).  AGAIN, Carnival was cruising until they were told not to, therefore they had to come out and build the plan for 104 ships (minus 18 for Princess) times 3000 people and scramble to do this.  Sounds to me like that was acceptable.

I can help you out with this. I received notification for my clients on NCL on Friday March 13th at 2:46pm PST and from RCI on Friday March 13th at 3:11pm PST. I received Carnival notification Friday March 13th at 10:53pm.

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I can help you out with this. I received notification for my clients on NCL on Friday March 13th at 2:46pm PST and from RCI on Friday March 13th at 3:11pm PST. I received Carnival notification Friday March 13th at 10:53pm.

Your making my point, but thanks