P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Sorry for a gloomy post but wanted to say thanks to all the considerate people on here doing the right thing at this awful time.

No ... Thank you DamianG for reminding us (not that we needed it)what a great job these guys are doing for us .

Thank you NHS       Imagine us without them ?     Thank you .

unnamed.jpg.194e0759ffc44e0c21c8502ba15bd85c.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

About 2 teaspoons to every 6oz of flour. Sorry I don't do metric.

Avril 

Turned out ok,the strawberries could have been sweeter.WIN_20200430_18_34_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.59ab5b7b89020546d52f19348afa4241.jpgWIN_20200430_18_35_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.9759bb299fa54e3bc0a7f2ee0c39cb9d.jpg

• Like 4

Didn’t know where to post this, but I think Dictionary Corner’s Susie Dent has given us a wonderful word for the day on her Bird-song timeline today

‘Ipsedixitism’ is the dogmatic assertion that something is true because someone, somewhere said it, and without offering any supporting evidence whatsoever. (From the Latin for ‘he said it’).

Enjoy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Didn’t know where to post this, but I think Dictionary Corner’s Susie Dent has given us a wonderful word for the day on her Bird-song timeline today

‘Ipsedixitism’ is the dogmatic assertion that something is true because someone, somewhere said it, and without offering any supporting evidence whatsoever. (From the Latin for ‘he said it’).

Enjoy!

That's one for Donald, isn't it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brian1 said:

Turned out ok,the strawberries could have been sweeter.WIN_20200430_18_34_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.59ab5b7b89020546d52f19348afa4241.jpgWIN_20200430_18_35_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.9759bb299fa54e3bc0a7f2ee0c39cb9d.jpg

Looks really nice. I see the flour/ baking powder ratio worked. Did she just add the strawberries to a standard banana loaf recipe? I'd think I'd like  to try it.

Avril 

OK good news here. We are having a party.

Apparently next Friday is VE day. So our village community team is asking everyone to have a picnic in their front garden. Dressed in red white and blue with bunting if possible. I hope the weather is fine.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, happy v said:

OK good news here. We are having a party.

Apparently next Friday is VE day. So our village community team is asking everyone to have a picnic in their front garden. Dressed in red white and blue with bunting if possible. I hope the weather is fine.

If the police in London stopped 4 family members playing Shostakovich in their front garden yesterday, because people in nearby gardens were coming out to listen, how can your party go ahead?

To be clear, I think it's a great idea, but the police seem to make up their own rules about this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Looks really nice. I see the flour/ baking powder ratio worked. Did she just add the strawberries to a standard banana loaf recipe? I'd think I'd like  to try it.

Avril 

She chopped them up and added them last.Should be better with English strawberries.Sorry, Scottish and Welsh also, if they grow there,lol.

Edited by brian1

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

She chopped them up and added them last.Should be better with English strawberries.Sorry, Scottish and Welsh also, if they grow there,lol.

Scotland is a major producer of berry’s including Strawberrys. 

Because we get over 20 hours of daylight in summer, more than sufficient rain (I know you will all be surprised by that fact) and yes even the odd bit of sunshine we grow more that we can eat or export. They make wine with what is left, it’s a bit on the sweet side.

Our rasberrys are the best on the planet, all that rain!

We also grow tea. I think Scotland is the only place in Europe with a suitable climate for tea growing, you can visit the plantation and make your own blend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Because we get over 20 hours of daylight in summer, more than sufficient rain (I know you will all be surprised by that fact) and yes even the odd bit of sunshine we grow more that we can eat or export. They make wine with what is left, it’s a bit on the sweet side.

We also grow tea. I think Scotland is the only place in Europe with a suitable climate for tea growing, you can visit the plantation and make your own blend.

Some people in Yorkshire look at me as though I've gone mad when  I tell them about the Scottish palm tree's ! 

They wrap them up during winter if the weather gets bad.

All down to the Gulf Stream that covers the west coast of Scotland .

My GrandDad took me to a place called Threave Gardens where the palm trees were growing .

I seem to remember him driving through part of the Clydebank region and that was full of greenhouses growing fruits and a lot of tomatoes.

So I for one would not be surprised if Scotland did have the best rasberry's .:classic_cool:

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/threave-garden-estate-p249891   A very nice visit .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

If the police in London stopped 4 family members playing Shostakovich in their front garden yesterday, because people in nearby gardens were coming out to listen, how can your party go ahead?

To be clear, I think it's a great idea, but the police seem to make up their own rules about this sort of thing.

First, what is Shostakovch?

What the police don't know won't harm them😉. We are all very responsible and the gardens are well spaced we will have to shout to speak to anyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have seen some streets have a social distance get together on Thursdays for the 'clap'.

Shostakovic was a Russian composer and pianist. 

We managed to have a barbecue the other week with our neigbour. David plated up the food and passed it over the fence on a shovel. It's possible if you're careful and inventive. I hope you can safely manage your VE celebrations. It'll be good to have a little stress relief.

Avril 

39 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Shostakovic was a Russian composer and pianist. 

We managed to have a barbecue the other week with our neigbour. David plated up the food and passed it over the fence on a shovel. It's possible if you're careful and inventive. I hope you can safely manage your VE celebrations. It'll be good to have a little stress relief.

Avril 

Thanks.

I've just been checking actually to prove we are not irresponsible. The police have been informed and so long as everyone stays on their own garden and social distancing is followed no problem. Reason given, we could all be in back gardens doing exactly the same.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Thanks.

I've just been checking actually to prove we are not irresponsible. The police have been informed and so long as everyone stays on their own garden and social distancing is followed no problem. Reason given, we could all be in back gardens doing exactly the same.

I'm glad your party is going ahead. Perhaps your local police could tell the Metropolitan Police that they are being over zealous. 

2 hours ago, happy v said:

I'm sure you are being deliberately disingenuous by spelling his name wrong, so I am not going to rise to the bait.

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I stand corrected,I wasn't too sure.Tiptree in Essex is quite famous also for strawberries.I remember when I worked in Dundee,it didn't get dark till about 10.30.

10 hours ago, happy v said:

What the police don't know won't harm them😉. We are all very responsible and the gardens are well spaced we will have to shout to speak to anyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have seen some streets have a social distance get together on Thursdays for the 'clap'.

I thought it was Russian for naked twister.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kalos said:

Some people in Yorkshire look at me as though I've gone mad when  I tell them about the Scottish palm tree's ! 

They wrap them up during winter if the weather gets bad.

All down to the Gulf Stream that covers the west coast of Scotland .

My GrandDad took me to a place called Threave Gardens where the palm trees were growing .

I seem to remember him driving through part of the Clydebank region and that was full of greenhouses growing fruits and a lot of tomatoes.

So I for one would not be surprised if Scotland did have the best rasberry's .:classic_cool:

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/threave-garden-estate-p249891   A very nice visit .

Our firm had a job at a place called MacMahamish (I think that's how it's spelt).On the West coast,the wind was so strong it used to throw house bricks across the site.Apparently when you went to the end of the pier and put your hand out,you could feel the warm Gulf Stream.