P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

36 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Here in North Norfolk its become very busy over the past few weeks as holiday makers start to flood in. Covid aside I am constantly worried about how soon I will knock someone down especially in Holt where they all seem to feel that the middle of the road is the safest spot. It was so bad on Thursday that I have given up. Taxis in for my hair appointments and no more strolls round town, coffees and lunch out until October. It is what it is I love living here but just can not hack the stress. Worked in central London for many years where it may have been mayhem but not like here where it seems suicidal once holiday season starts. Locals tell me you just park way outside the centre and I would but have a very dodgy knee shortly due for its second replacement. First world problems hey.

It's a bit tricky down here in Broadland as well - Wroxham is particularly grim at the moment and the river looks like the M25. 

Have you seen the Christmas lights in Holt? A real treat is in store for you if you haven't.

• Like 1

Well that didn’t go well

went to brid for the weekend. 
haven gave me a check in of 6pm which was off to a bad start. We hit traffic going up so got there later than expected and the kids were shattered when we got there and went to bed. The caravan was disgusting. It said on the leaflet to call reception so I did and they were closed. 
thought we would just try and manage. 
when we got up the morning the natural light showed even more disgusting things. 

in the end we have checked out and told them my thoughts, just quickly gone to filet food festival which wasn’t brilliant and come home. 

have been to two local pubs that we haven’t tried before instead 

24 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well that didn’t go well

haven gave me a check in of 6pm which was off to a bad start. We hit traffic going up so got there later than expected and the kids were shattered when we got there and went to bed. The caravan was disgusting. It said on the leaflet to call reception so I did and they were closed. 
when we got up the morning the natural light showed even more disgusting things. 

in the end we have checked out and told them my thoughts, just quickly gone to filet food festival which wasn’t brilliant and come home. 

Sorry about your weekend, Vamp.

We are down your way next week. Have you been to the model village? If so what are your thoughts on taking a five and eleven year old.

2 minutes ago, happy v said:

Have you had fish and chips everywhere, Harry????

Not quite everywhere, happy - and not at all since late February.  And in reality only a few times a year, often on holiday for simplicity. Very, very fussy about them though. Has to be right. Had some in an overpriced place in Cromer owned by a Michelin starred chef, but they were awful. Down the road in Sheringham, much less pretentious, much cheaper, but much better.

Has to be beef dripping though.  I do love a decent haddock and chips.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not quite everywhere, happy - and not at all since late February.  And in reality only a few times a year, often on holiday for simplicity. Very, very fussy about them though. Has to be right. Had some in an overpriced place in Cromer owned by a Michelin starred chef, but they were awful. Down the road in Sheringham, much less pretentious, much cheaper, but much better.

I have to admit I'm very fussy about my fish and chips too. Totally agree about beef dripping. All my favourites are up north though, like me!

16 minutes ago, happy v said:

Sorry about your weekend, Vamp.

We are down your way next week. Have you been to the model village? If so what are your thoughts on taking a five and eleven year old.

havent been to model village in years. 

mine were so disappointed today as they wanted ice cream. Horrible mummy wouldn’t let them at 10am!

1 minute ago, happy v said:

I have to admit I'm very fussy about my fish and chips too. Totally agree about beef dripping. All my favourites are up north though, like me!

Most of mine are too - southerners don’t have a great reputation for fish and chips, with some honourable exceptions.  I was impressed by the guy in Sheringham though when I asked him what he fried in:

”Beef dripping mate.  Nothing else.  And the day I have to switch to vegetable oil is the day I pack up and retire.”

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Well that didn’t go well

6pm check in so they’d presumably had plenty of time to clean it? That’s terrible, such a shame for you all.

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

havent been to model village in years. 

mine were so disappointed today as they wanted ice cream. Horrible mummy wouldn’t let them at 10am!

Oh they'd love me Vamp!  I'm so laid back.........cake before sandwich, no bother. My daughter just rolls her eyes now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The original Harry Ramsdens near Leeds a couple of miles from where Emmerdale was filmed was the best fish and chips.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing trip. I hope you complained and got a refund. 
We are going in a caravan at Tattershall Lakes in September with the grandchildren so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good experience. We had our own caravan until last year so I am hoping it matches it

Michelle

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear about your disappointing trip. I hope you complained and got a refund. 
We are going in a caravan at Tattershall Lakes in September with the grandchildren so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good experience. We had our own caravan until last year so I am hoping it matches it

Michelle

oh yes I got a refund. 
I’m all for getting what I paid for but that was definitely not what I booked. They have a cleaning policy now. They said they have better cleaning that before. That unfortunately must have missed my caravan 

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The original Harry Ramsdens near Leeds a couple of miles from where Emmerdale was filmed was the best fish and chips.

I only ever tried the later spin-offs, like the one at Blackpool.  Good, though.  Didn't Bryan's compete with Harry's as the best in Leeds?

45 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

oh yes I got a refund. 
I’m all for getting what I paid for but that was definitely not what I booked. They have a cleaning policy now. They said they have better cleaning that before. That unfortunately must have missed my caravan 

Glad you got your refund but what a disappointment for you all 😞

• Like 1

Very hot and muggy today, have hardly done anything as it’s too hot to move.

John and I did venture to Dobbies for a coffee and cake this morning, they have an outside part to their cafe so we sat outside under a huge parasol. Many of the tables had disappeared so there was lots of space. We also had to give our phone number and name on the way in.

• Like 3

We are currently in Madrid staying with our DD and SIL.

I am so impressed with how observant the Spanish are to wearing of masks. I can honestly say I haven’t seen a single person not wearing a mask in public walking around or in the shopping malls and supermarket.
The hotel roof top bar we went to last night had a strict policy. You could only remove your mask once you received your drinks. I stupidly got up to take a picture of the city night skyline without my mask on and was promptly told to return to my seat by a waiter.

Have to say I’m pretty disgusted the UK are so lame compared to Spain. 
And the UK has the gaul to require us to quarantine when we return.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

ah but would you have done that when your daughter was little? 

Unfortunately yes. Life's for living. As I said very laid back, but if I do say so myself I've turned out two well behaved happy children.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I only ever tried the later spin-offs, like the one at Blackpool.  Good, though.  Didn't Bryan's compete with Harry's as the best in Leeds?

I just remember going into Guiseley Leeds Harry Ramsdens around 25 years ago when I took the family to Emmerdale TV village.

The fish and chips were superb but this branch closed in 2011.

2 minutes ago, happy v said:

Unfortunately yes. Life's for living. As I said very laid back, but if I do say so myself I've turned out two well behaved happy children.

I also think that life is for living and so long as the children turn out well behaved and happy you have got it right.  The danger of being too rigid with children is that they can rebel as they get older, we have seen it happen with our friends' son.  Everyone has to do what they consider best for their family and hope that the children make the right choices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I just remember going into Guiseley Leeds Harry Ramsdens around 25 years ago when I took the family to Emmerdale TV village.

The fish and chips were superb but this branch closed in 2011.

Did you ever try the one at the Metro centre? They were rubbish. They didn't stay open very long though.