P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You've politicising again Harry, if the police spent less time chasing Celebrity prosecutions for the kudos they provide, they would have more time to devote to keeping the streets safe.

The police spend,  across the country,  precious little time on celebrity prosecutions, John, but surely you're not suggesting that so-called celebrity should provide some sort of immunity?  Rolf Harris?

And it's the CPS that decides on prosecutions these days - not the police.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You've politicising again Harry, if the police spent less time chasing Celebrity prosecutions for the kudos they provide, they would have more time to devote to keeping the streets safe.

Stopping MPs seems a bit of a time waster. They need to get their priorities right.

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The police spend,  across the country,  precious little time on celebrity prosecutions, John, but surely you're not suggesting that so-called celebrity should provide some sort of immunity?  Rolf Harris?

I was thinking more of the hounding to death of Caroline Flack which the CPS wanted just to issue a caution but the police insisted on a trial, but since you mentioned Rolf, the second trial found him not guilty.

Edited by terrierjohn

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Cliff Richards et al. Indefensible incompetence.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was thinking more of the hounding to death of Caroline Flack, but since you mentioned Rolf, the second trial found him not guilty.

Poor girl needed help, not hounding by the police chasing a celebrity scalp.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I was thinking more of the hounding to death of Caroline Flack which the CPS wanted just to issue a caution but the police insisted on a trial, but since you mentioned Rolf, the second trial found him not guilty.

I know who you were referring to, John.  My point was that you can't just allow celebrities to do as they please - why would you?

Rolf Harris was only found not guilty of one charge at the second trial.  The others remained as originally found.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Police?  It's the CPS that make the decisions, not the police.

And was it not in reality the press?

The police wanted the prosecution

CPS wanted to drop it

In London the police seem out of control. Watch the videos posted on U tube.

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Et al?  Who?  How many convictions as against acquittals?  And again, are you suggesting that celebrities shouldn't be prosecuted?  Why?

In reality the police want big scalps

Even when they know accusations are wrong it takes them ages to quietly drop it. Apologise?, Come on. No leadership in the Met

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's a bit harsh John 

I don't think  PC Harper’s widow would view it like that :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

I’m not sure what some people here have got against the police, unless it’s to try to blame the police rather than the government for the funding crisis preventing them from tackling crime effectively.

But this started with the suggestion that they should be out their tackling crime on the streets.  I agree.  I imagine most people agree.  

But if their manpower and funding has been cut for years by the government, which it has, how can they?

And arguing that a very small, in the overall scheme of things, amount which may or may not have misdirected, doesn’t change that.

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Et al?  Who?  How many convictions as against acquittals?  And again, are you suggesting that celebrities shouldn't be prosecuted?  Why?

One very interesting aspect of the last few years celebrity paedo trials was the difference between the conviction rates in the South vs the North.  For me that raised deep concerns about the fairness of jury trials, although I realise our entire judicial system is built around these. But in most trials jurors do not know the accused, which I imagine must have a big influence on any decisions.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m not sure what some people here have got against the police, unless it’s to try to blame the police rather than the government for the funding crisis preventing them from tackling crime effectively.

But this started with the suggestion that they should be out their tackling crime on the streets.  I agree.  I imagine most people agree.  

But if their manpower and funding has been cut for years by the government, which it has, how can they?

And arguing that a very small, in the overall scheme of things, amount which may or may not have misdirected, doesn’t change that.

Harry, all govt spending is from taxation, and the Cameron govt tried austerity to try and re-balance the countries finances, but whilst still trying to maintain essential services.

Police unions will always demand more funding, that's their job, and senior officers will also use lack of funding to defend any criticism of how well they are performing. 

But in the end how they allocate the resources is a management decision, but, IMO, they should be listening more to what the public want.  If they did that they would receive far more support from everyone. 

34 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

One very interesting aspect of the last few years celebrity paedo trials was the difference between the conviction rates in the South vs the North.  For me that raised deep concerns about the fairness of jury trials, although I realise our entire judicial system is built around these. But in most trials jurors do not know the accused, which I imagine must have a big influence on any decisions.

Sorry John, you've totally lost me with your logic on that one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I understood that a caution was not an option as there was no admission of guilt

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I did some shop calls this morning.

Hardly anyone wearing masks.

My niece a keyworker in Newcastle said the city centre bars are jam packed with no social distancing.

It is inevitable a second spike is on the way imo.

Not good news, Graham.  I fear you're right.  The young are, of course, invincible, but in reality they're highly unlikely to be badly affected by Covid, so they behave accordingly. 

Quite like the 'Don't kill Granny' campaign though!  Our 4 year old grandson takes this pretty seriously - 'Don't come near me, Granny.  I don't want to kill you!".

Delighted to say we can now meet up with them - at a distance - in the garden.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not good news, Graham.  I fear you're right.  The young are, of course, invincible, but in reality they're highly unlikely to be badly affected by Covid, so they behave accordingly. 

Quite like the 'Don't kill Granny' campaign though!  Our 4 year old grandson takes this pretty seriously - 'Don't come near me, Granny.  I don't want to kill you!".

Delighted to say we can now meet up with them - at a distance - in the garden.

I'm pleased for you Harry that you can now meet up in the garden.

• Like 2