P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had to laugh at this junk mail received earlier. Firstly, they can’t consistently spell ‘January’. More importantly though they seem to think £2 off a Triple Foam car wash, whatever that is, will cure depression.

Our hard pressed NHS is missing a trick here - £2 off car wash vouchers will sort it all out!

Did you know that the 3rd Monday in January is renowned to be the most depressing day of the year, also known as Blue Monday? 

At IMO we want to bring some shine and happiness to this supposedly gloomy Monday, by offering all our customers,
 for this Monday only, £2 off Triple Foam.*

With triple the foam, triple the soap and triple the fun... be sure to check your in-app wallet from 8am tomorrow, Monday 16 Janaury to make the most of this exclusive Blue Monday offer. 
What are you waiting for?
Lights, Foam, Action..
Let's make this Monday a happy one.

I can feel a song coming on Harry 🤣...

🎵     Bring Me Some Shine   For A While , Triple Bubbles Make me smile 🎵

Oh we do love a bargain 😂😂

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Avril, my granddaughter says her vaping material is 2% nicotine, is there a defined correlation from wt to strength, and where would her 2% material fit on your 0 to 18mg range?

I have no idea John. Different brands regulate the nicotine content in different ways. Wih the brand Frank and Lisa use,  the content strength is measured in mg. The most important thing though is that the nicotine strength they use, however it's measured, keeps decreasing as they go and eventually they get to 0mg or 0%. 

Good luck to your Granddaughter John.

Avril

@Beckett

I have been reading all the good advice given to about stopping smoking, and it is good advice, so I'll add a lttle of my own.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Some can be more more addicted than others, or have a will power strong enough to quit unaided. I don't want to presume here Jane, but considering what you have been saying about your recent health, then I think it would be wiser to take the easier and more gentle approach to quitting. 

Frank had tried to stop smoking a few times over the years, but had bad mood swings and failed. He tried many ways, just stopping dead,  one after each meal, reducing the amount of cigarettes, chewing gum, and failed every time, so he stopped trying until he started vaping, and it's working for him. 

Research well, choose the right way that will suit you and you'll do it.

Avril

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

@Beckett

I have been reading all the good advice given to about stopping smoking, and it is good advice, so I'll add a lttle of my own.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Some can be more more addicted than others, or have a will power strong enough to quit unaided. I don't want to presume here Jane, but considering what you have been saying about your recent health, then I think it would be wiser to take the easier and more gentle approach to quitting. 

Frank had tried to stop smoking a few times over the years, but had bad mood swings and failed. He tried many ways, just stopping dead,  one after each meal, reducing the amount of cigarettes, chewing gum, and failed every time, so he stopped trying until he started vaping, and it's working for him. 

Research well, choose the right way that will suit you and you'll do it.

Avril

Dear Avril.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and wise words. You are right about my recent health and associated issues, and I agree with you completely about the easier and more gentle approach. I know there is no quick fix but I am determined. 

Thanks to all my friends on here for your advice and support. I will report back on my progress from time to time but not too often. I don't want to bore you rigid!

It's very cold down here this morning with a few flakes of the white stuff. Take care walking and on the roads today.

Best wishes all.  Jane. Xxxx 

• Like 14

I have been up early (5:30 ish) so I thought that I would go to Tesco at 7 o'clock I might have to make this a regular thing because it was really quiet so much quicker to get round.

I am now stuck in the house waiting for someone to call me to do the triage so that I can get an appointment at the UHNS., they said on Friday that it would be within the next 2 working days and I don't want be discussing my health in public.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

I will report back on my progress from time to time but not too often. I don't want to bore you rigid!

Don't worry about that Jane. We're all behind you on this so report every day if you want to. We''ll support and encourage you as often as you need us.

One thing I forgot to mention is, that Frank has never felt any withdrawl symptoms whatsoever and moved on to vaping without a problem, and for a 50+ years, 20 a day smoker that's saying something. 

Avril

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had to laugh at this junk mail received earlier. Firstly, they can’t consistently spell ‘January’. More importantly though they seem to think £2 off a Triple Foam car wash, whatever that is, will cure depression.

Our hard pressed NHS is missing a trick here - £2 off car wash vouchers will sort it all out!

Did you know that the 3rd Monday in January is renowned to be the most depressing day of the year, also known as Blue Monday? 

At IMO we want to bring some shine and happiness to this supposedly gloomy Monday, by offering all our customers,
 for this Monday only, £2 off Triple Foam.*

With triple the foam, triple the soap and triple the fun... be sure to check your in-app wallet from 8am tomorrow, Monday 16 Janaury to make the most of this exclusive Blue Monday offer. 
What are you waiting for?
Lights, Foam, Action..
Let's make this Monday a happy one.

Sounds more like Spam Monday! But these things can be helpful... they let us know which companies to avoid like the plague.

@BeckettJane, you’ve given us all support, help and advice in the past, particularly when you had information about the vaccine programme that very few of the rest of us had. I’ve not forgotten that, and neither have others. Really pleased you’re back, really pleased you’re in a better place, and really pleased you’re able to get such useful support here.

Can’t offer much help with the smoking, but maybe a few squares of Cadbury’s might help? You know the ones - those 850g squares they sell around Christmas time. I think Amazon still have some………

Harry

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

May be an image of 1 person, airplane and indoor

I just showed this to OH and he said that it reminds him of the time when our cases came out on carousel with big red stickers on them saying "VERY HEAVY".  My excuse is that we had boots and heavy clothes in them because we had been to Alaska. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well I’m stuck indoors today because it snowed overnight and it’s cold and slippy outside. The sunshine is really bright and it looks wonderful but discretion being the better part of valour I’m avoiding potential slips and breaks and adding to the NHS issues.

So I spent a bit of the morning baking and cooking. A couple of loaves for the freezer and a nice black bean and sweet potato Thai curry in the slow cooker for later.

I use my slow cooker a lot at this time of the year. The current food “trend” is batch cooking and freezing. I have done this for years making massive pots of soup, stovies, stews etc and freezing portions. My nephew refers to my pot as a cauldron.

We have been eating a lot more veggie recipes in the last few weeks. I got a couple of really nice vegan and vegetarian cook books for Christmas and my husband would like to personally thank those who gave them to me for his current fare (I’ll make him a steak at the weekend).

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I use my slow cooker a lot at this time of the year.

I ordered a slow cooker from Amazon recently, it took ages to arrive.

It is So called blue Monday today, supposedly the most miserable day of the year, well not in our house it's not.

May be an image of 2 people, child and text that says 'It's Monday again... Oh wait, I'm retired!!!'

• Haha 14

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well I’m stuck indoors today because it snowed overnight and it’s cold and slippy outside. The sunshine is really bright and it looks wonderful but discretion being the better part of valour I’m avoiding potential slips and breaks and adding to the NHS issues.

So I spent a bit of the morning baking and cooking. A couple of loaves for the freezer and a nice black bean and sweet potato Thai curry in the slow cooker for later.

I use my slow cooker a lot at this time of the year. The current food “trend” is batch cooking and freezing. I have done this for years making massive pots of soup, stovies, stews etc and freezing portions. My nephew refers to my pot as a cauldron.

We have been eating a lot more veggie recipes in the last few weeks. I got a couple of really nice vegan and vegetarian cook books for Christmas and my husband would like to personally thank those who gave them to me for his current fare (I’ll make him a steak at the weekend).

I would love that recipe for black bean and sweet potato Thai curry.

Could you please let us know the basics. 

Terri

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is So called blue Monday today, supposedly the most miserable day of the year, well not in our house it's not.

You could always get your movie collection out :classic_blush::classic_blush: (No not them sort )

Retirements ok you soon get used to it .. A bit like working from home but without the work 🙂

An old guy in the next village is a bit of a serial flasher, said he was going to retire.

But he's now decided to stick it out for another year.🙃😉

• Haha 12

35 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think it may be black beans and sweet potatoes😁, I will get my coat

I don’t understand your sarcasm, if you don’t wish to read items just

ignore.

I have just come back from a three week holiday in Thailand and Singapore and have really enjoyed their different curries and love their way of cooking sticky rice.  So an addition to the recipes is interesting for me even if it offends you.

Terri

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I'm doing a big batch of Chilli tomorrow and chicken curry later in the week. If I go to the trouble of getting the ingredients and cooking might as well cook larger quantities, I normally make enough for 4 meals for the 2 of us. 

1 hour ago, silkworms said:

I would love that recipe for black bean and sweet potato Thai curry.

Could you please let us know the basics. 

Terri

It’s really simple and more of a store cupboard bung it in rather than a proper recipe (I make recipes up as I go along and some become favourites). You could use fresh spicing, bash the lemon grass, cut the chillies etc if you prefer.

1 400g can of low fat coconut milk (I like blue dragon)

1 400g can black beans

1 small can sweetcorn

2 large onions

6 cloves of garlic

2 large sweet potatoes

1 Thai green curry paste pot (again I use blue dragon)

1 veggie stock pot (I use knorr) or you can use a heaped teaspoon of vegan boullion if you prefer that

pepper to taste

Empty the can of coconut milk into the slow cooker on high and add the thai paste pot and stock pot. Leave while you prepare other veg etc.

Drain and thoroughly rinse the black beans and sweetcorn. Set aside on kitchen paper to dry off the moisture. You don’t want to add in any excess moisture or the sauce goes watery.

Peel and finely dice the onions

Peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes (about the size of a grape)

Peel the garlic cloves ready to press into the pot

Go back to the slow cooker and stir the coconut milk to mix the now partially melted stock pot and paste pot. press the garlic into the mix and stir in.

Add in all the other prepared ingredients and stir ensuring they are into the coconut milk.

Turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for about 5 to 6 hours

I serve this with cauliflower rice and hot pitta. I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2