P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone,

Grey and dull down here this morning.

Had a phone call yesterday to alter the time of our pick up, an hour and a half earlier!  Just need to put the few bits in the hand luggage and I'm ready for the off! 

Have a good day.

Pam 

Have a great cruise Pam. Be well. Jane xxx

• Like 5

I took Teddy for a walk at lunchtime and just as we got onto the next street I could see an old lady approaching up the road on a mobility scooter. I didn't want to Teddy to react or bark so I held him back whilst she passed, only for her to stop in the middle of the road then start barking at him to get his attention! Naturally he got upset and started barking back at her then she shouted "What's his name?" I repeated it several times but she couldn't her me until eventually I shouted "TEDDY!" at which point poor Teddy thought I was shouting at him so sat down with his ears pinned back looking really sad like he'd just been told off. Meanwhile the lady drove off singing "How much is that doggy in the window?"

If I see her again we're definitely going to turn round and walk the other way.

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

18 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I took Teddy for a walk at lunchtime and just as we got onto the next street I could see an old lady approaching up the road on a mobility scooter. I didn't want to Teddy to react or bark so I held him back whilst she passed, only for her to stop in the middle of the road then start barking at him to get his attention! Naturally he got upset and started barking back at her then she shouted "What's his name?" I repeated it several times but she couldn't her me until eventually I shouted "TEDDY!" at which point poor Teddy thought I was shouting at him so sat down with his ears pinned back looking really sad like he'd just been told off. Meanwhile the lady drove off singing "How much is that doggy in the window?"

Poor Teddy. We were in the bar on a ship waiting to be called to dinner. Beep, beep, beep We got up to go just as a scooter reversed over my foot. Didn't you hear my bleeper grunted this pleasant old gentleman.....🤣

• Like 6

Just been out for afternoon tea at the Clifton Arms Hotel in Lytham with my mum. The hotel overlooks Lytham Green which is nice. It was delicious, apple and celery soup with cheese straws, home made sausage rolls, selection of sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam and a selection of cakes. I am stuffed!! We couldn’t manage to eat it all. 

So much for cutting down on the food after my hols!!! 

Michelle

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Just been out for afternoon tea at the Clifton Arms Hotel in Lytham with my mum. The hotel overlooks Lytham Green which is nice. It was delicious, apple and celery soup with cheese straws, home made sausage rolls, selection of sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam and a selection of cakes. I am stuffed!! We couldn’t manage to eat it all. 

Michelle

Sounds delicious!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Well that brought back memories of staying there for inset (training) courses back in the 80s. It was really good even then and I’m going to add it to my list for a return visit, so thank you.

11 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Well that brought back memories of staying there for inset (training) courses back in the 80s. It was really good even then and I’m going to add it to my list for a return visit, so thank you.

It’s my mums favourite place for afternoon tea, it is a lovely hotel and the service is brilliant 

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Poor Teddy! But I must admit I laughed at your post as I could just imagine the scenario…..

Freddie has a dislike for wheelchairs, bicycles and especially wheelie bins. It has on occasion been quite embarrassing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

42 minutes ago, kalos said:

We too have ate  out  ,Mrs went for mash and corned beef pie

I opted for steak pie with chips.

Have a good evening everyone 😊 20230914_142439.thumb.jpg.2eaf7687301763ad45740bf598650978.jpg

We ate in a nice restaurant in Carcassone. Yum, yum, but I did it again. Photo after the meal, but a pic of the City as compensation. Sirloin with a peppercorn sauce served upside down.🤣

20230908_193133.jpg

20230905_102401.jpg

• Haha 11

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

hope you had a lovely cruise.

It was the strangest ever, but the people were amazing.

We arrived and the cabin (club balcony/ ex mini suite) was brown. burr walnut  colour furniture, brown carpet, brown curtains, we admit to disappointment (not P and O by the way).It was quite a depressing colour scheme but we decided to make the best of it which we did.

We were told we had a shower, well we did but over the bath and no way could I get into it. we asked for coffee machine and got one, most days only had two tea bags, continually requesting more.  No turn down etc,  and usually our cabin wasn't made up until the afternoon.  We love to relax in our cabin so that disappointed.   Also what got me was in the cabin we had bits of wood to stir our drinks, we felt if we were to steal it wouldn't be a teaspoon!!!!  Do all buffets have plastic plates etc? We couldn't remember.

Above not a whinge but just facts.

On to the good bits, the food was very very good  We enjoyed it all.

Now the people. We knew there was an American contingent coming over  because we read the roll call, but didn't realise us Brits would be in the minority by far.   Lots of other nationalities too, all jumbled up together.  So much laughter. We had many funny conversations in lift regarding them losing toes  because of my scooter.  The Americans turned up and joined in all the silly games and quizzes and we all laughed a lot.   Not one person was rude or inconsiderate to me.  Sometimes they even pretended to jump out of the way. 

The restaurant had stairs, we were shown another entrance, and when they saw us they usually gave us a table for four so I was comfortable and we missed any queue.  Not our suggestion, theirs.  Bit strange though, as it was a casual cruise, sitting for dinner next to a table in shorts, tee shirts sandals and caps.   Also not a complaint just an observation.

All in all it was really good,  but we feel it could be our last.  I felt that OH had a lot to deal with, ie my collapsible scooter, and me when on sticks and hauling me off chairs.  We will see.

Glad you are all ok xx

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

It was the strangest ever, but the people were amazing.

We arrived and the cabin (club balcony/ ex mini suite) was brown. burr walnut  colour furniture, brown carpet, brown curtains, we admit to disappointment (not P and O by the way).It was quite a depressing colour scheme but we decided to make the best of it which we did.

We were told we had a shower, well we did but over the bath and no way could I get into it. we asked for coffee machine and got one, most days only had two tea bags, continually requesting more.  No turn down etc,  and usually our cabin wasn't made up until the afternoon.  We love to relax in our cabin so that disappointed.   Also what got me was in the cabin we had bits of wood to stir our drinks, we felt if we were to steal it wouldn't be a teaspoon!!!!  Do all buffets have plastic plates etc? We couldn't remember.

Above not a whinge but just facts.

On to the good bits, the food was very very good  We enjoyed it all.

Now the people. We knew there was an American contingent coming over  because we read the roll call, but didn't realise us Brits would be in the minority by far.   Lots of other nationalities too, all jumbled up together.  So much laughter. We had many funny conversations in lift regarding them losing toes  because of my scooter.  The Americans turned up and joined in all the silly games and quizzes and we all laughed a lot.   Not one person was rude or inconsiderate to me.  Sometimes they even pretended to jump out of the way. 

The restaurant had stairs, we were shown another entrance, and when they saw us they usually gave us a table for four so I was comfortable and we missed any queue.  Not our suggestion, theirs.  Bit strange though, as it was a casual cruise, sitting for dinner next to a table in shorts, tee shirts sandals and caps.   Also not a complaint just an observation.

All in all it was really good,  but we feel it could be our last.  I felt that OH had a lot to deal with, ie my collapsible scooter, and me when on sticks and hauling me off chairs.  We will see.

Glad you are all ok xx

Glad you had a good time. Sorry can't remember who you were sailing with.

Re future holidays .. we have just the one cruise booked for January and after that 2 land holidays. It seems like land hotels are trying even harder and cruises not as bothered in some ways which is sad as cruise accommodation, food and entertainment used to outshine hotels. Not anymore for many.

• Like 4

Missed something.   No flowers on board,  none whatsoever.

I had rung the Company to order some but they told me it was no longer allowed and there were no flowers.  We presumed it meant just cabins, but no... there were no flowers at all, in fact there wasn't any glitz or bling really.   Flowers must be banned.   I wonder why.

(Norwegian Dawn)

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 6

Good morning everyone.  Another grey day here but I have been for a walk and exceeded  my target of 7500 steps already today.  I thought that I had better make an effort because it is "Sisters lunch out day" which means too many unhealthy calories will be consumed.

I have just ordered new tyres for the new  car because I can get far better quality ones from my previous employer for free than the Toyota fitted ones.

Have fun whatever you are doing today.

• Like 5

Good morning! I’m now nearly 8 weeks post-op following a total reverse shoulder replacement and my physio rumbles on at a pace. I’m not back to driving yet but I hope to be soon, especially as we have a cruise booked for just under 2 months’ time which I’m starting to feel quite excited about.

Have a great day everyone! 🙂

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone.  Another grey day here but I have been for a walk and exceeded  my target of 7500 steps already today.  I thought that I had better make an effort because it is "Sisters lunch out day" which means too many unhealthy calories will be consumed.

I have just ordered new tyres for the new  car because I can get far better quality ones from my previous employer for free than the Toyota fitted ones.

Have fun whatever you are doing today.

I expect the new tyres will be Mich better😉I know people who used to work there and then got jobs over the border in Cheshire.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace

26 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Missed something.   No flowers on board,  none whatsoever.

I had rung the Company to order some but they told me it was no longer allowed and there were no flowers.  We presumed it meant just cabins, but no... there were no flowers at all, in fact there wasn't any glitz or bling really.   Flowers must be banned.   I wonder why.

(Norwegian Dawn)

How strange. I can't imagine flowers being any sort of hazard in a cabin, maybe in public areas they could be a problem for people with allergies.  I have had flowers sent to me by friends and family when we have been onboard P&O, Princess, Cunard and Celebrity for my birthday.   Presumably NCL have some reason but I can't imagine what.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Presumably NCL have some reason but I can't imagine what.

Neither can we.

Not allowed to buy them at port and bring them on either.  They said any would be confiscated.

Most ships have beautiful displays.

Also water or any kind of beverage not allowed, unless it's open, ie  taken for consumption when off the ship.

• Like 3

Good morning, having a coffee between falling over ds bags & boxes that are going in the car later ready to go back to Bournemouth. Unfortunately yet again there’s problems with his accommodation, the 2 students that have already arrived have discovered it’s uninhabitable currently. The back door is smashed, no lock on the other one, it’s filthy, his room is mouldy, the beds are broken, the list goes on! This is through an estate agent so you’d expect it to have been checked between tenants. The lead tenant is dealing with the agent, but no one’s moved in, the others are staying with partners I think. We’re going to the I o W for a week so he could be doing a de tour. 

• Like 7