P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 9/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

Morning all, from a still sunny & warm Sidmouth,  we are going easy today to Seaton, plan is to ride the Seaton Tramway.  We have been previously,but many yrs ago when on holiday with our two sons.   Might take the opportunity to sit looking at the sea enjoying an ice cream. Simple pleasures. As mentioned above to Bobstheboy, will post pics back home, as they will be on my camera. Menus tonight hopefully.

Good afternoon. just an edit really, we are now back at home from our very relaxing few days in Devon, I could not get photos to add  from my tablet down at hotel, so will post below the last eve menus from Wed. including the A La Carte menu(i ate from wed eve) I thought I would have some posh fish & chips just to show our man in the northeast 😇.20230913_184143.thumb.jpg.8447140fa748d45724e1062f79134bf2.jpg20230913_200021.heic

20230913_184225.jpg

20230913_201735.jpg

20230913_205913.jpg

20230913_193214.heic 20230913_200029.heic 20230913_202108.heic 20230913_202117.heic

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Good morning! I’m now nearly 8 weeks post-op following a total reverse shoulder replacement and my physio rumbles on at a pace. I’m not back to driving yet but I hope to be soon, especially as we have a cruise booked for just under 2 months’ time which I’m starting to feel quite excited about.

Have a great day everyone! 🙂

I’m a year on from a reverse shoulder replacement (following a trip up my cruise ship bathroom step whilst half asleep) and I remember the strangeness of driving at first, but it’s just a memory now I’m glad to say. Persevere with the physio - I was shocked to be advised to take pain killers before I did the exercises 😳.  Good luck.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Really ? In the MDR at dinner ? I am onboard on Sunday and hope that doesn't happen.

Yes, we ended up with a fixed dining arrangement in one of the MDRs and a chap on the next table wore a t-shirt, jeans, trainers and baseball cap every evening (except for the formal night). We sat next to another group wearing t-shirts, shorts and trainers in the Crow's Nest. The dress code was posted in the Horizon everyday but was not enforced in any way.

Maybe your cruise will see it observed better (being outside school holidays).

• Like 5

Well, it’s been a while; I hadn’t realised it had been such a long while since I posted 😳

Anyway - Hello again.  I have been reading, if not posting, and would like to say a generic, and sincere, sympathy and empathy for those who have had bad times this last year.  Similarly, Hurrah for those who have enjoyed lovely events and anniversaries and Thank You to those who have posted some excellent cruise reviews

A big special Thank You to @Selbourne, whose recent review has convinced me to resume my cruising career, with a long-booked trip on Iona in the new year.  It will be 4 years since we disembarked Ventura

Have also (today) booked Queen Mary for early 2025.  Price comparable to P&O - at least it feels that way

Enough for now.  I think I may be back to being a regular, talking about nothing in particular poster

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

We still have the sun and currently have 24 degrees.  The local garden centre was selling all its Rose's half price yesterday and me being me just had to over indulge by buying 14 of them.  Spent the morning digging large holes to put them in, very hard work but thankfully the soil is well wet underneath from my OH's early morning watering for the past few weeks.  Hoping the weather lasts so I can install my latest plug and play garden lights amongst them - another bargain at 75% off.

Big day for Dutch Decoy tomorrow with a declaration at the St Leger Doncaster meet.  Fingers crossed for a good run in his final outing before the Cambridgeshire at Newmarket on the 30th.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’m a year on from a reverse shoulder replacement (following a trip up my cruise ship bathroom step whilst half asleep) and I remember the strangeness of driving at first, but it’s just a memory now I’m glad to say. Persevere with the physio - I was shocked to be advised to take pain killers before I did the exercises 😳.  Good luck.

That’s good to know! Mine is as a result of severe RA from the age of 21 so not as dramatic as yours 😂.

I haven’t had any pain since day 2 or 3 post-op luckily but the exercises are ramping up so who knows in the future 😳

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Yes, we ended up with a fixed dining arrangement in one of the MDRs and a chap on the next table wore a t-shirt, jeans, trainers and baseball cap every evening (except for the formal night). We sat next to another group wearing t-shirts, shorts and trainers in the Crow's Nest. The dress code was posted in the Horizon everyday but was not enforced in any way.

Maybe your cruise will see it observed better (being outside school holidays).

On our Arcadia cruise last month on formal nights we saw one man being asked to leave the mdr and another to leave the Crows Nest for not meeting the dress code.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

On our Arcadia cruise last month on formal nights we saw one man being asked to leave the mdr and another to leave the Crows Nest for not meeting the dress code.

If they had done that on Arvia during our school holiday cruise the MDR's and Crows Nest would have been half empty and we might not have had such long waits for a table! 😆

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Persevere with the physio - I was shocked to be advised to take pain killers before I did the exercises 😳.  Good luck.

I am scheduled for a hip op, the operation not the dance music. At the pre op meeting it was made clear that I must take the pain killers before the exercises in the early days or I won't be able to do them.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

That’s good to know! Mine is as a result of severe RA from the age of 21 so not as dramatic as yours 😂.

I haven’t had any pain since day 2 or 3 post-op luckily but the exercises are ramping up so who knows in the future 😳

I've had RA for 25 years, relatively mild and currently diagnosed as 'long term remission' with no medication, although I have had in the past. 

The only good thing about my shoulder damage was because it was classed as a trauma injury, I had the surgery less than 3 weeks after the accident, which was not what I expected after the horror stories. I couldn't fault the treatment I had (Southport hospital) last year.

@yorkshirephil hope you get your hip op soon so that in a year's time you'll be up for some hip hop on our Canada jolly 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We still have the sun and currently have 24 degrees.  The local garden centre was selling all its Rose's half price yesterday and me being me just had to over indulge by buying 14 of them.  Spent the morning digging large holes to put them in, very hard work but thankfully the soil is well wet underneath from my OH's early morning watering for the past few weeks.  Hoping the weather lasts so I can install my latest plug and play garden lights amongst them - another bargain at 75% off.

Big day for Dutch Decoy tomorrow with a declaration at the St Leger Doncaster meet.  Fingers crossed for a good run in his final outing before the Cambridgeshire at Newmarket on the 30th.

Having watched some of the racing from Town Moor over the past couple of days the declared soft going seems to me a tad on the generous side. Do I recall you saying previously that Dutch Decoy doesn’t like soft going?

After another week of car trouble engine management light came on 3rd time after having previously a leaking fuel injector and water hose, then a new water pump needed and now a blocked DPF. I am getting a new car. Back to having a Ford Mondeo ST Line edition.

Still going to be taking further since I will be out of pocket for this new one. Took the old one to a second garage and showed all the work I have had done to it and they said they would not even touch it and if I need a reference I can put them down.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Having watched some of the racing from Town Moor over the past couple of days the declared soft going seems to me a tad on the generous side. Do I recall you saying previously that Dutch Decoy doesn’t like soft going?

It's not his favourite but he has placed on soft going - his 3rd at Goodwood being the latest.   The one I have that detests soft ground is First Folio and as a result he's hardly seen a racecourse this year.  Dutch Decoy currently on offer at 9/1 in a 15 horse field hoping for a good run and he doesn't have to travel too far either.  All being well, he will go down to Newmarket for the Cambridgeshire on the 30th as he likes both Newmarket courses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Well, it’s been a while; I hadn’t realised it had been such a long while since I posted 😳

Anyway - Hello again.  I have been reading, if not posting, and would like to say a generic, and sincere, sympathy and empathy for those who have had bad times this last year.  Similarly, Hurrah for those who have enjoyed lovely events and anniversaries and Thank You to those who have posted some excellent cruise reviews

A big special Thank You to @Selbourne, whose recent review has convinced me to resume my cruising career, with a long-booked trip on Iona in the new year.  It will be 4 years since we disembarked Ventura

Have also (today) booked Queen Mary for early 2025.  Price comparable to P&O - at least it feels that way

Enough for now.  I think I may be back to being a regular, talking about nothing in particular poster

Lovely to hear from you @Eddie99.

I'm pleased to hear you have booked cruises again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am scheduled for a hip op, the operation not the dance music. At the pre op meeting it was made clear that I must take the pain killers before the exercises in the early days or I won't be able to do them.

Good luck with the hip op Phil.I have been told I need the same and have been putting off as long as I can as I am only 66.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I expect the new tyres will be Mich better😉I know people who used to work there and then got jobs over the border in Cheshire.

Yes the are from Michelin, it is good perk for being a Michelin pensioner.  I think that it is a dying perk, you only get it if you are a current employee or had a qualifying number of years service when you retired but younger people don't tend to stay at one company now.  It is the same with pensions, we used to have a final salary pension scheme which for people like me is great but they changed that to a money purchase scheme just after I retired and that is not as good as the final salary scheme where we get annual rises in January in line with interest rates.

I sometimes think that we were the lucky generation.

• Like 6

Well, for those of you who have been following my numerous rants concerning my anxieties regarding the inability to book select dining venues and the Retreat for our cruise in January, I wanted to post to let you know that we have had a response from Carnival Senior Guest services and ..... I have to say, my jaw is still on the floor as it was not what we were expecting - not just excuses and waffle but really helpful and reassuring. 

Really impressed and it has really gone some way to restore our faith in PANDO.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped us with the contact address.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good luck with the hip op Phil.I have been told I need the same and have been putting off as long as I can as I am only 66.

Thanks Graham, don't put it off too long. I have really struggled this year and wish I had the op last year, I am 66 too.

• Thanks 1

I had lunch with my sisters, (sorry no food pictures), baby sister has just come back from a cruise on Iona and was telling us how much they enjoyed it but was annoyed that the app allowed passengers to book more than one venue for the same time.  They shared a table at dinner one night with a lady who took great pleasure in telling everyone else that she booked several things for the same time so that she had a choice of which one she felt like going to when the the time came around and she said that she didn't bother to cancel the ones that she didn't go to.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I had lunch with my sisters, (sorry no food pictures), baby sister has just come back from a cruise on Iona and was telling us how much they enjoyed it but was annoyed that the app allowed passengers to book more than one venue for the same time.  They shared a table at dinner one night with a lady who took great pleasure in telling everyone else that she booked several things for the same time so that she had a choice of which one she felt like going to when the the time came around and she said that she didn't bother to cancel the ones that she didn't go to.

Firstly... You know the rules Josy, no pics, it didn't happen😂

Secondly, how selfish of the passenger booking multiple venues, but I thought the app didn't allow that? I thought if you tried to book a second venue, it automatically cancelled your original booking? 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks Graham, don't put it off too long. I have really struggled this year and wish I had the op last year, I am 66 too.

Thanks Phil.

I was told I would have an injection and not a general anaesthetic which I was worried about with taking heart medication.

Please let me know how you get on and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Phil.

I was told I would have an injection and not a general anaesthetic which I was worried about with taking heart medication.

Please let me know how you get on and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

They go through your health and medication at the pre op meting and should treat you accordingly. It is usual to have a lower body injection with a sedative, which is what I am having. My MIL was taking heart medication after having her stent and was fine and she was 80.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It's not his favourite but he has placed on soft going - his 3rd at Goodwood being the latest.   The one I have that detests soft ground is First Folio and as a result he's hardly seen a racecourse this year.  Dutch Decoy currently on offer at 9/1 in a 15 horse field hoping for a good run and he doesn't have to travel too far either.  All being well, he will go down to Newmarket for the Cambridgeshire on the 30th as he likes both Newmarket courses.

I see he is running against his stable mate again, but has comparatively less weight, the draw is not brilliant but again probably worth a shilling each way. Good luck tomorrow.

• Thanks 1