P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Mixed bag weather wise, sunny first thing, then heavy showers and back to sun. We travelled down to Derbyshire to Hardwick Hall for lunch with a pit stop at MacArthur Glenn for coffee.

The NHS booking line is now open to wrinklies for the covid booster, I got mine for Thursday.

We have our appointments for Covid booster tomorrow morning and I am having the Shingles jab on Thursday.  I am looking forward to 2 sore arms.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I am on the school run again this morning, hopefully the school will have water and be open today, Gandma will be picking them up this afternoon.  I suspect this is going to be the daily routone for the next few weeks until my niece recovers from the costocondritus that she is currently suffering from.

• Like 8

Morning all.  It’s hammering down out there.  Hopefully will improve as the day goes on, like yesterday.

Sounds like there’s lots of vaxxing going on!  Mine aren’t till early Oct.  Hopefully all will be well till then.  I’m in a trial for a new Moderna jab, which I had in July, so the routine autumn one will hopefully top up that protection

@indiana123 - hope you get fully well very soon.  Be gentle with yourself meantime.  @Josy1953 - that sounds awful for your niece.  Thank goodness she has family to help out

• Like 5

Morning All

I hope the arms aren't too sore for those jabbed yesterday. I've got my flu vac on Thursday but can't book for Covid yet as neither my GP surgery or any local pharmacies are set up for them yet. There are very few occasions when I wish I was still working but now is one of them because, had I still been working, I could have had both yesterday. Oh well, some you win!

Have a good day everyone. Be safe and well. Jane xx

• Like 10

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

Went to have the flu jab at the doctors that we booked a couple of weeks ago and was offered the Covid one at the same time. Needless to say, we took them up on it so I now have a sticker for both. No problems so far.

I think I spoke too soon. A pretty restless night, two sore arms and generally feeling under the weather. Never mind, it will pass and is better than the possible alternative.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We have our appointments for Covid booster tomorrow morning and I am having the Shingles jab on Thursday.  I am looking forward to 2 sore arms.

We were told we couldn’t have a shingles jab because we are not 70. I know the advert says 65 but that is people who reach 65 after August 1st 2023 so there are probably around 3 million people, like us, stuck in the middle. You couldn’t make it up. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I'm going to stand in the street and see if anyone wants to throw any more at me.

Was told on ship last week I had bronchitis.  Never had it before. Left ship Thursday,started snivelling .  C test negative.

Went to acupuncture again today for severe pain.   Popped into Boots for some 'beauty bits'🤣  and they had some tests at the front so I took some just in case we needed them one day.

Guess what!! Yes, I've got it

The Government say you can carry on as usual but I'm not going anywhere.  I don't that is fair on other people.     grrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that you’ve got it, hope you are better soon. Have to wonder about the prevalence of it on the ships right now.

we have our flu jabs books for 4th October at Boots, although I’ve got to pay for it this year.

My husband looked at the booster booking system yesterday, but there’s no venue that is particularly convenient, so he’s waiting to see if some better venues appear. I’m not eligible for a booster this time, which I’m not happy about, but can’t do anything about it, as it’s not available on a paid for basis like the flu jab. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Sorry to hear that you’ve got it, hope you are better soon. Have to wonder about the prevalence of it on the ships right now.

we have our flu jabs books for 4th October at Boots, although I’ve got to pay for it this year.

My husband looked at the booster booking system yesterday, but there’s no venue that is particularly convenient, so he’s waiting to see if some better venues appear. I’m not eligible for a booster this time, which I’m not happy about, but can’t do anything about it, as it’s not available on a paid for basis like the flu jab. 

I’m in exactly the same position. Will be eligible next year tho!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We were told we couldn’t have a shingles jab because we are not 70. I know the advert says 65 but that is people who reach 65 after August 1st 2023 so there are probably around 3 million people, like us, stuck in the middle. You couldn’t make it up. 

I think they are giving the shingles on birthday anniversaries so that they don’t get a rush all at once. So when your birthday comes round you’ll be eligible. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I’m in exactly the same position. Will be eligible next year tho!

I’m not sure what will happen next year for me.

I’ll be 64 this time next year, but I’ll be 65 by the end of March 2025, so that will make me eligible for the free flu jab for winter 2024-25

Not sure if they apply the same criteria to to Covid booster 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you, lunch was very nice, we had a Sunday roast followed by a lemon meringue tart, delicious.

Unfortunately the heavens opened and we were caught in torrential rain as we were walking there and we turned up looking like drowned rats 😂

Arvia was a little late leaving I assume due to the weather.

We're going down in 2 weeks time to collect my parents and have decided to go a couple of days early, will stay in Portsmouth and visit the Dockyard. Hopefully the weather will be better.

A wander around gunwharf Quay perhaps?.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, pete14 said:

I must admit, I don’t mind listening  to a saxophone. There was a guy who was on Britain’s got Talent’ several years ago who did a couple of shows on a cruise we are on, who was excellent but nobody is like the late great Clarence Clemons from Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band who also had a superb bass singing voice he kept well hidden for some reason. 

Loved Clarence, his nephew Jake is brilliant too.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think they are giving the shingles on birthday anniversaries so that they don’t get a rush all at once. So when your birthday comes round you’ll be eligible. 

That may be the case for those approaching 65 but for those currently over 65, they will have to wait until they are 70, not for their next birthday (unless they are currently 69)

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Don't tell anyone but I had a 0 birthday earlier this year and I will take any vaccines that are advised.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

It is pouring down now.

IMG_20230919_075337.jpg

Graham - can I ask - do you usually go out for breakfast, or perhaps just on work or early shopping days?

I haven't heard a word from my surgery about any jabs yet, and I certainly qualify for anything.  The only suggestion I could make for not  having one in your arm might make it a problem sitting down after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

That may be the case for those approaching 65 but for those currently over 65, they will have to wait until they are 70, not for their next birthday (unless they are currently 69)

Sorry @pete14 you are quite right. Does seem a silly way to do it. 

• Like 1

I do not recommend doing the school run with 2 grumpy teenagers in the car.  The 15 year old boy just grunted his answers when spoken to and his 13 year old sister moaned because we arrived at school before her friends so we had to sit in the car in the drop off area for 5 minutes until one of her friends who has to walk to school arrived.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4