P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

26 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We've never joined SW but bought shedloads of their recipe books.No matter how many herbs and spices in them they always taste a bit bland.The secret,IMO,is just to cut down on bread and carbs.

There is no syns in herbs and spices, add more... 

Michelle adapts the recipes to suit us, we don't find them bland. 

SW is not for everyone, but it has worked for us. 

Andy 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We've never joined SW but bought shedloads of their recipe books.No matter how many herbs and spices in them they always taste a bit bland.The secret,IMO,is just to cut down on bread and carbs.

My GP put me on a course run by local NHS dieticians a few years ago when he thought I might be likely to become diabetic. Following their guidance I managed to lose 8kg in just over 10 months, with some some changes to diet, smaller portions and cutting out heavy sugar based foods and drinks. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Was quite a shock.  At least the tickets were only £57.50 each so a bargain there and the flights were only £80 each as well.  Been an expensive concert/hotel week for me.  Elbow in May at the O2 bought on Thursday in the fan presale and now this one, the hotel in London was cheaper than Edinburgh and that's a Marriot!

As a Glaswegian I would say stay in Glasgow!  Very regular train  (and coach ) service between the 2 cities

• Like 3

Morning all,

Did everyone remember to alter their clocks? How do you alter your body clock, though? I've been awake since 5 am this morning.

It's still fairly mild, weather wise at 12c, but rain is forecast again. I know we need it as our reserviors are still low, but enough is enough!

Enjoy your Sunday.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

This is the consequence of the Scottish Government's and Edinburgh Council's clamp-down on AirBnB's and any holiday lets including someone offering a room in their own home or a holiday home swap.  The Scottish Government have just introduced a Short Term Let licencing scheme, and the Council insist on Planning Permission being granted before even considering an STL licence application.  They refuse the planning permission in nearly every case!  

The outcome is that mid-priced hotels have doubled their prices, and are waiting to see how well they sell at that price.  If nobody books, then room rates will reduce, but I suspect will remain well above historic averages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

This is the consequence of the Scottish Government's and Edinburgh Council's clamp-down on AirBnB's and any holiday lets including someone offering a room in their own home or a holiday home swap.  The Scottish Government have just introduced a Short Term Let licencing scheme, and the Council insist on Planning Permission being granted before even considering an STL licence application.  They refuse the planning permission in nearly every case!  

The outcome is that mid-priced hotels have doubled their prices, and are waiting to see how well they sell at that price.  If nobody books, then room rates will reduce, but I suspect will remain well above historic averages.

Edinburgh joining a expanding list of cities and countries clamping down on short term let’s and AirBnB’s

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023/06/11/italy-malaysia-usa-which-cities-and-countries-are-cracking-down-on-airbnb-style-rentals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Did everyone remember to alter their clocks? How do you alter your body clock, though? I've been awake since 5 am this morning.

It's still fairly mild, weather wise at 12c, but rain is forecast again. I know we need it as our reserviors are still low, but enough is enough!

Enjoy your Sunday.

We altered the clocks but like you I didn't alter my body clock and have been awake since 4:30.  DH is still asleep even though I have been cleaning floors with the steam cleaner and vacuuming the carpets. I can't work out how he can sleep through any level of noise.

It is a pleasant morning here with blue skies and sun but the thermometer has only managed to reach 8°c but that is ok for going for a walk later.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning all,

Enjoy your Sunday.

Good morning all,

I did remember to alter the bedroom clock last night, but Freddie (daft cockapoo) obviously cannot tell the time…..

You need a degree to change the oven clock so I cover it up as it is about 6 hours out, following a power cut a few months ago!

After heavy rain yesterday I’m hoping today may be a little better.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

There is no syns in herbs and spices, add more... 

Michelle adapts the recipes to suit us, we don't find them bland. 

SW is not for everyone, but it has worked for us. 

Andy 

It worked for me also Andy,along with exercise I lost over 4 stone.Anyway birthday full Welsh/English this morning.IMG_20231029_0733185861759.thumb.jpg.f4096dc6648a7324491ce3194428371c.jpg

• Like 19

25 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It worked for me also Andy,along with exercise I lost over 4 stone.Anyway birthday full Welsh/English this morning.IMG_20231029_0733185861759.thumb.jpg.f4096dc6648a7324491ce3194428371c.jpg

If the eggs were poached and the sausage was low calorie, that wouldn't be far off a slimming world accepted breakfast.. (I don't like hash browns or black pudding)... 

The main reason for going to SW is to get shamed in group🤣

The basics are common sense really, low fat, low sugar, move more. 

Andy 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

My GP put me on a course run by local NHS dieticians a few years ago when he thought I might be likely to become diabetic. Following their guidance I managed to lose 8kg in just over 10 months, with some some changes to diet, smaller portions and cutting out heavy sugar based foods and drinks. 

Sounds like my Healthy Wiltshire course.  I'm on week 4 but now and 3kg lost as at weigh in last Tuesday which is a big plus.  Strangely most of it has been done by myself as two out of four weeks were cancelled due to staff illness.  However all is not lost as I'm now getting one to one from next Tuesday.  Mind you a long way to go as they want me to lose stones not pounds!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

Sounds like Scotland doesn't want tourists. OK point taken.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

If the eggs were poached and the sausage was low calorie, that wouldn't be far off a slimming world accepted breakfast.. (I don't like hash browns or black pudding)... 

The main reason for going to SW is to get shamed in group🤣

The basics are common sense really, low fat, low sugar, move more. 

Andy 

Hash browns will never replace Bubble & Squeak Andy 😊.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Good morning all,

I did remember to alter the bedroom clock last night, but Freddie (daft cockapoo) obviously cannot tell the time…..

You need a degree to change the oven clock so I cover it up as it is about 6 hours out, following a power cut a few months ago!

After heavy rain yesterday I’m hoping today may be a little better.

I tried to change the oven clock this morning but failed even though I think that I followed instructions in the user guide so ours will be staying on BST.

• Like 3

I heard a woman’s voice in the kitchen - was my OH resorting to YouTube to talk him though changing the time on the cooker clock!  All done now but what a palaver twice a year

Sad to hear of Matthew Perry's death.  He was very young

Happy Birthday Presto and Brian

My top tip for getting trim is intermittent fasting.  I used to do a 5:2 regime, where you severely restrict calories 2 days a week, but I’m now on 16:8, (hours). which is working a dream.  Can’t tell you weight, as I don’t have scales, but I can tell you my clothes fit and look much better.  Started 1 July; it’s still easy; don’t think I’ll be coming off any time soon

Off for Sunday lunch preceded by Bloody Mary shortly.  Enjoying those 8 eating hours!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I tried to change the oven clock this morning but failed even though I think that I followed instructions in the user guide so ours will be staying on BST.

It's not the oven clock that I find difficult to change it's the clock in the car!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds like Scotland doesn't want tourists. OK point taken.

Well they certainly don't want me. We've tried on four separate occasions to have a coach tour of Scotland and each time it was cancelled a few weeks before  departure. As you say, point taken😏

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

You are right that they like people to have a target of at least half a stone, the group leader explained that to me but also said that they do not like to enrol new members who are already below what they consider to be a healthy weight as there is a slight chance that they could have body image issues that could lead to health problems.

I will just use the money that I would have spent on Slimming world to buy some more shoes :classic_smile:

Did you say "I've been chucked out of better places"    I would have had to  🤣🤣

Unfortunately when put on new meds I was warned about weight gain.  I have put on another 8 kilos after three months.  Unfortunately they aren't something you can just stop, being Cat C.   I am waiting  to go to a dedicated pain clinic soon, so will hang on till then but my problem is weight bearing  so can't win.    Dr. explained it's a right  dilemma.

We had to laugh  when we read other side effects that could happen which included every symptom I had in the first pace ie joint pain, muscle pain and the like!!!!

• Like 1