P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My wife once, for a fleeting moment, accidentally (she claims), touched the hand of the late, hugely underestimated and self-effacing, Neil Innes as they riffled through the frozen food in Bromley Waitrose back in the 70s. 

Does that make her a groupie? 

PS: she refused to wash her hands over the whole of Christmas that year.

Edited by Harry Peterson
PS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

No squirrel? noise this morning. Read up on the subject and there are several deterrents from lights in the loft, radio 4 human voices radio on and strong scents like peppermint oil, lavender oil and vinegar. To start with just went with a led low wattage light on and seems to have worked last night but won’t think the problem has been solved just yet. However I didn’t see any around outside yesterday so maybe they’ve gone elsewhere anyway?

Have you considered a squirrel trap? Perfectly legal, because they’re vermin, but illegal to release a live one. They’re effective outside, and equally effective inside. You really do not want squirrels up there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have you considered a squirrel trap? Perfectly legal, because they’re vermin, but illegal to release a live one. They’re effective outside, and equally effective inside. You really do not want squirrels up there.

I’d rather not trap it/them would rather deter or try and block their entry points. They’re probably getting between the gutter and the roof tiles but I can’t see any obvious places.

• Like 1

Rain down here and still mild.

Met friends for coffee yesterday and had a good chat. We decided we'd get together for a meal before Christmas, but instead of arranging it then, we spent the evening texting back and forth, with me being in the middle, to sort it out🙄 We can't do  things the easy way!🤣

Nothing interesting planned for today, just a day of household chores.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’d rather not trap it/them would rather deter or try and block their entry points. They’re probably getting between the gutter and the roof tiles but I can’t see any obvious places.

You could try the most inhumane way.Blasting Ringo Starr records thru the loft hatch.

• Haha 6

Seriously,like you I couldn't kill any animal (I do eat them though).We had a rat in our sofabed in Italy. We even had it trapped when we unfolded it but we just lured it out the front door with bait

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I like Bob Marley  😉 😀😃🙂🙃😊

I like all types of music.

I was a rep for EMI records in the 1980s.

I listened to Whitney Houston music for over 3 hours on our TUI flight to Florida in October and again for over 3 hours on the flight back to Newcastle.

It is raining and 8°C here.

I hope everyone is well.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

That’s a better idea if you can manage it. That’s exactly where we had an issue, and we did manage to block the hole with some sort of wire wool padding we fashioned. They’re an absolute menace.

• Like 2

Wet and windy here, we did our usual Wed breakfast trip to Barnsley and picked up dinner from Aldi. I have now done one week after my op and walking freely with my pole, a bit slow but getting there, certainly better than expected.

I have a bit of an eclectic musical preference, I didn't really notice music until I was early teens and then it was whatever was on the radio at the time, I do like the Beatles and lots of 60's bands, my favourite era for music. I am a child of the 70's music wise and loved the rowdy toe tapping stuff of Slade even if they were rubbish spellers, my ears were always ringing with the dulcet tones of me mam shouting up "turn that bloody racket down". I have always been a Springsteen fan albeit not so keen on his new stuff and Queen is probably my favourite overall band.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

As I say everyone has a choice. I saw Paul McCartney very many years ago with Wings and then several times since. I'd not choose to see him now as sadly he cannot really sing anymore. I last saw Ringo and the All Stars Band in 2016, only my second Ringo outting and the band as well as the man himself were a highlight of my trip - I actually travelled that time to see Boz Skaggs as my number one as he is an all time favourite of mine.  Luck on my side Ithe six weeks i was there i saw him twice plus Bob Dylan  Hall & Oates, Jimmy Buffet, Diana Krall and the late great Jackson Browne.

Just getting back to organising more music trips at last so hopefully stateside next year for the first time since 2020, a lot of catching up to do!

Now you worry me, Jackson Browne is one of my all time favourite singer/songwriters. Last I knew he was very much alive.

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Me too, sympathy from me.  I was so tired last evening I fell asleep briefly in my kitchen chair watching House of Games, which I love.  To bed about 8.30, asleep by 9, so naturally awake at just after 1.

Lots of things on my mind, just busyness this week.  However, just had paracetamols and a cup of tea, and hope to go off again before needing to get up at 7.

Though living in Merseyside at the time, I didn't care for the Beatles, but have since come to admire some of the lovely melodies they produced, like Yesterday.  Never liked the Stones either - what a dull woman I am.  Favourite listening is great guitar playing, as in Jeff Beck, Santana etc. . and melodies and harmonies, as in the Beach Boys and Eagles.  (Mostly American, though overall I do think the Brits. made the biggest  contribution to music during the 60s and 70s).

Ah good old Yesterday, or scrambled eggs as it was originally known.

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

My wife once, for a fleeting moment, accidentally (she claims), touched the hand of the late, hugely underestimated and self-effacing, Neil Innes as they riffled through the frozen food in Bromley Waitrose back in the 70s. 

Does that make her a groupie? 

PS: she refused to wash her hands over the whole of Christmas that year.

The Bonzos were certainly different with a great sense of humour.

Being a Scouser I was brought up listening to the Beatles amongst others despite not being born until the late 60s. In My Life is my absolute favourite song from a very wide ranging musical taste. 

I was lucky enough to see Paul McCartney when he did a hometown gig as part of our Capital of Culture celebrations at Anfield, we had tickets in the Kop which my Man U supporting husband was not impressed by 😂

In terms of concerts, one of the best I’ve ever been to was James Brown at the Summer Pops in Liverpool, what an incredible night!

• Like 5

Macca used to say that his favourite Beatles song was Here,There & Everywhere which the beautiful Emmylou Harris did a haunting version of on her first album. I still find both the words and music of such songs as Let It Be, Long and Winding Road and Hey Jude to be incredibly moving. Guess I’m just an old softy really (despite not liking cats😳).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

Now you worry me, Jackson Browne is one of my all time favourite singer/songwriters. Last I knew he was very much alive.

He is, I had a mental block - it was Tom Petty I saw in 2016 and Jackson Browne in 2019.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Wet and windy here, we did our usual Wed breakfast trip to Barnsley and picked up dinner from Aldi. I have now done one week after my op and walking freely with my pole, a bit slow but getting there, certainly better than expected.

I have a bit of an eclectic musical preference, I didn't really notice music until I was early teens and then it was whatever was on the radio at the time, I do like the Beatles and lots of 60's bands, my favourite era for music. I am a child of the 70's music wise and loved the rowdy toe tapping stuff of Slade even if they were rubbish spellers, my ears were always ringing with the dulcet tones of me mam shouting up "turn that bloody racket down". I have always been a Springsteen fan albeit not so keen on his new stuff and Queen is probably my favourite overall band.

I've just booked to see Bruce Springsteen at Wembley next year so I'm hoping for a mix of the old stuff amidst the new.  I last saw him before I was married so pre 1980!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just booked to see Bruce Springsteen at Wembley next year so I'm hoping for a mix of the old stuff amidst the new.  I last saw him before I was married so pre 1980!

I saw him in Roundhay park Leeds on the Born in the USA tour in 85, still got the vest and it fits if somewhat snug. 

• Like 6

We have just received the news that we least wanted, my sister rang me to ask if we could keep the children when I pick them up from school this afternoon because my niece is in palliative care now at UHNM and the end is very near.  I have to find an excuse as to why they have to come to my house rather than go home.  Their dad has called the school to keep them appraised of the situation and to let them know that they won't be in tomorrow.

My sister has now gone to tell my B-i-L the bad news as he is also in palliative care in the same hospital with only a few weeks left.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have just received the news that we least wanted, my sister rang me to ask if we could keep the children when I pick them up from school this afternoon because my niece is in palliative care now at UHNM and the end is very near.  I have to find an excuse as to why they have to come to my house rather than go home.  Their dad has called the school to keep them appraised of the situation and to let them know that they won't be in tomorrow.

My sister has now gone to tell my B-i-L the bad news as he is also in palliative care in the same hospital with only a few weeks left.

No words are going to help, but life can be cruel, stay strong. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

image.png.35d0baf9a15b8b24100096480704d7b0.png

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Heartbreaking, pray that the end is as peaceful as it can be.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Truly heartbraking, cancer is such a b*st*rd  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

So heartbreaking for all concerned. I’m not sure how old the children are but I hope they’re able to say goodbye to their Mum if they can cope with it. 

Admittedly I was older but I found it a great comfort to be able to say goodbye to my Dad and tell him I loved him during his last few hours at the hospice ❤️

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

So sorry Josy. I don't know what to say but it felt wrong not saying anything.

Sometimes life's a *****.

• Like 4