P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 2/3/2024 at 2:35 PM, grapau27 said:

IMG_20240118_170350.thumb.jpg.37c202a72dbd7fd3a35f7e61a6f6b447.jpg

Here is a few balcony photos from our Iona cruise 13-27 January which made us very happy.

If you look closely I am sure you can see me sat on the balcony of my apartment!

Another quiet day in the port like yesterday with no cruise ships in, and I don't think anything due until Wednesday with Balmoral and an Aida.

Into the third week here in Santa Cruz and another week to go before we head over to Puerto de la Cruz for a few more weeks.

The weather out here this year post-Christmas has been fabulous - daytimes constantly low to mid twenties, and warm enough to be sitting outside into late into the evening.

Santa Cruz is in the midst of the preparations for the carnival, and those who are lucky enough to be on Azura and in-port on Saturday 17th when the daytime celebrations take place will have an 'interesting' time - we were here a few years ago and the crowds, the drumming, etc. are incredible.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

If you look closely I am sure you can see me sat on the balcony of my apartment!

Another quiet day in the port like yesterday with no cruise ships in, and I don't think anything due until Wednesday with Balmoral and an Aida.

Into the third week here in Santa Cruz and another week to go before we head over to Puerto de la Cruz for a few more weeks.

The weather out here this year post-Christmas has been fabulous - daytimes constantly low to mid twenties, and warm enough to be sitting outside into late into the evening.

Santa Cruz is in the midst of the preparations for the carnival, and those who are lucky enough to be on Azura and in-port on Saturday 17th when the daytime celebrations take place will have an 'interesting' time - we were here a few years ago and the crowds, the drumming, etc. are incredible.

Unfortunately this time I don’t arrive until the 17th this time.   I saw the parades last year though - amazing!  

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Oh, that sounds nasty. I hope you can get an appointment for today.

I did, got one at 9:30,GP believes it’s a tooth infection or an abscess so has told me to see dentis as will probably need antibiotics which dentist can prescribe, so rang dentist as soon as I left surgery have an appointment at 12:45 today. Absolutely brilliant service from NHS when I needed it. 

I have had an abscess before but never this bad 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

I did, got one at 9:30,GP believes it’s a tooth infection or an abscess so has told me to see dentis as will probably need antibiotics which dentist can prescribe, so rang dentist as soon as I left surgery have an appointment at 12:45 today. Absolutely brilliant service from NHS when I needed it. 

Ouch - hope the dentist gets you sorted out with antibiotics and treatment.  Not pleasant but effective! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Ouch - hope the dentist gets you sorted out with antibiotics and treatment.  Not pleasant but effective! 

I hope so too, probably had 12 hours sleep in last 48 hrs or more. GP said BP was high, probably not surprising given swollen face and lack of sleep, but wants me monitor twice a day for next 10 days. 

Had a good 2.5km walk to practice there and back, downhill going, uphill coming back. 😅

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Angel57 said:

@kalos so great to see those photos of you both looking fabulous and too young for retirement.

Glad you had a good cruise, apart from the 2 iffy days which sound intriguing, but it is also good to have you back on here, as you were missed.

Thanks Gill ,those iffy days were more early morning wake up calls .

As our flight was 6am and in the depths of winter we decided to stay
at the pinewood hotel. For about £30 more than parking in the new multi
at the airport at  3am and trekking over Woodhead moors at silly o'clock.
We thought it better to park our car in their grounds, in a place of our 
choice and keep our keys and the next morning jump in a taxi that's 
part of the package(there and back) .
I did the maths and yes we could have used  other car parks for £90
and  hump the cases around to a shuttle bus That's after driving over the
 moors in the early hours .. Nah !    We were happy with our arrangements .
Looking at the weather there was a real chance of snow over the moors
and looking at the same hotel even a day earlier we had the chance to book
 a room for £68 and this came with free breakfast and parking and WI-FI.
Burning their leccy and heating ,what was not to like ?
Also on our return the Jet2 flight was not due to land until 4.30pm ,so we
booked to stay on our return rather than trek over those hills ,when we
can settle down in a nice warm room with a take away .
Going out our taxi was waiting at 3am and whisked us to the terminal 2 doors,
much better than lugging  our cases onto a shuttle bus on what was a sub zero 
morning  and hoping a a car park shuttle bus would rescue us from  hypothermia .
It was a good flight and transfer and we were soon onboard our lovely ship
the Azura .
We had a couple on our second week who were not young who we dubbed the 
"Malbec heroes" . They were very loud ,we thought maybe a bit deaf  being the reason,
when they had a conversation it was like two sergeant's barking orders to their ranks .
We didn't mind and just got on with it .
Now what we did not like ,was when they were coming in at 2am and having blazing

arguments ,attacking each other fighting and throwing things and turning the air blue 
with their language .
The first episode ,we thought was possibly a one off ,thinking that would be the end of it 
but that was not to be  !
Going on for 3am she was screaming ,"get off me ,put that down ,your hurting me .."
Enough was enough we rang reception ,who said they could hear it through our phone 
and sent for security .
We could hear security banging on their door which they themselves eventually broke 
off their argument and the woman shouted .." Oh security's here !!  please do come in 
and share a glass of Malbec with us ,why don't you ?"
After that the rest of the week they toned it down a little .
Apart from that we had two great weeks  on the Azura  chilled out and relaxed.

On the cruise I have been a good lad and happy to see my weight is where it should

be. We found some nice balcony treats in the ports shops that were low sugar and salt .

I did frequent a few McDonalds but only for a cool drink and their free Wi-Fi, so 

I could read what you lot were getting up to as I do not post when away .

Some of the good stuff ..

20240128_154053.thumb.jpg.f0fffec58111bb4bd14667f058f5668a.jpg

20240128_153823.thumb.jpg.4ac328b40df86c8e73881305886cb8dd.jpg

And some of the nice stuff....

20240122_115059.thumb.jpg.257fc06ff26daf6145af14b538a679a8.jpg20240129_130458.thumb.jpg.f985c3325b7d123609862899758a36c2.jpg

Nice view and free Wi FI   ....

granmacd.thumb.jpg.cc71eef54ab8e882284d356cf8d197c3.jpg

Nice Sun and moon from our balcony ...

20240124_084012.thumb.jpg.388490acd9181cbf0f053408c091e5c0.jpg20240125_070559(1).thumb.jpg.32e22b6947af1b332c128518de2be095.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I suspected a tooth abscess as that happened to me before.

Dentist took xray and prescribed me antibiotics and eventually pulled that tooth out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kalos said:

Thanks Eddie yep two superb weeks very relaxing apart from 2 nights of mayhem .

will explain another day.

It was my two year delayed retirement cruise and our combined birthday cruise and 

Mrs K's retirement ,, My perfect pensioner as I now call her 🤣

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.b49764714897b0babf2dfde09b24f934.jpg

20240202_101613.thumb.jpg.a17b600062efeb1edcbf86247f69a696.jpg20240202_101843.thumb.jpg.2106deb7ca2e366a2e4e20f187c66f00.jpg

20240124_114618.thumb.jpg.687d1f34a554f9747543da20bb536b25.jpg

Lovely photos of you both, the weather looks great, certainly better than here in February. Glad you had a good time 

Michelle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Another windy day but at least it is dry.  I am going to my craft group this morning after dumping the children at school.  I am not sure if I am allowed to call my nephew a child anymore, he is 16 today so he will be up early opening his prezzies.  I didn't have a clue what to buy so he is getting cash from us which at his age is always useful.

My sister rang last night to see if I would be up for a shopping trip to Manchester next Monday as it is half term so I won't be on the school run and her school teacher daughter will be able to look after her daughter herself. My other 2 sisters are coming too so it should be a good day out provided the trains are running.

Have a good day wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

Cash for a teenager is always a good option. The branded clothes and stuff they buy are just so expensive.

A shopping trip to Manchester sounds like a good day out 

Michelle

• Like 6

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

2 beautiful family photos Michelle.

My mum is 90 in July so she is doing really well. She lives independently with a bit of help from me and Richard so she is doing ok. She has just walked around a very large Tesco Extra which is brilliant for her age

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Hope you manage to get some antibiotics today, an abscess is very painful 

Michelle

• Like 3

Just now, Peanut006 said:

My mum is 90 in July so she is doing really well. She lives independently with a bit of help from me and Richard so she is doing ok. She has just walked around a very large Tesco Extra which is brilliant for her age

Michelle

Your mam looks amazing for 90.

It is fantastic she can still walk around a very large Tesco extra and her exercise will keep her young and active.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your mam looks amazing for 90.

It is fantastic she can still walk around a very large Tesco extra and her exercise will keep her young and active.

She does really well Graham, I think she looks fab for her age too. 

Michelle

• Like 5

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I suspected a tooth abscess as that happened to me before.

Dentist took xray and prescribed me antibiotics and eventually pulled that tooth out.

The dentist wasn’t able to take an X-ray as too swollen, I have been prescribed 2 lots of antibiotics to take 3 times a day for the 5 days, should my eye close I need to go A&E for intravenous ABs. Strictly no alcohol whilst on them. Dentist thinks it maybe a failure in one of the 2 teeth I have had root canal done on, hence why no initial warning pain. Appointment scheduled for next week to take x-ray and identify the problem. 

• Like 6

This may be of interest to some forum members. Starting from April they are rolling out private jabs for the 'unmentionable illness', on a pay per jab basis, at a cost of £45.00 per shot 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/02/pharmacies-in-england-and-scotland-to-offer-private-covid-jabs-for-45

Hopefully the likes of Boots and the larger pharmacies will get on board with this.

As I wasn't eligible for the NHS jab this winter I will probably avail myself of this service. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This may be of interest to some forum members. Starting from April they are rolling out private jabs for the 'unmentionable illness', on a pay per jab basis, at a cost of £45.00 per shot 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/02/pharmacies-in-england-and-scotland-to-offer-private-covid-jabs-for-45

Hopefully the likes of Boots and the larger pharmacies will get on board with this.

As I wasn't eligible for the NHS jab this winter I will probably avail myself of this service. 

We had ours, but £45 is a bargain...I wonder...🤔

Michelle - lovely pics

The *4 generations* ones are very special.  I am lucky enough to have them with both of my childrens’ grannies.  Memories

Nice pics from kalos

Good that Snow Hill is starting appropriate treatment - what problems our teeth bring us

Our day at the coast turned into a day at home doing odd jobs, as the weather turned drizzly and miserable, though still pretty mild

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The dentist wasn’t able to take an X-ray as too swollen, I have been prescribed 2 lots of antibiotics to take 3 times a day for the 5 days, should my eye close I need to go A&E for intravenous ABs. Strictly no alcohol whilst on them. Dentist thinks it maybe a failure in one of the 2 teeth I have had root canal done on, hence why no initial warning pain. Appointment scheduled for next week to take x-ray and identify the problem. 

Ouch! That sounds really nasty Snow Hill - no wonder you couldn't sleep. I hope the ABs kick in sharpish and the pain is eased once they start to take effect. I wish you better soon. Jane xx

• Like 4

On 2/3/2024 at 2:35 PM, grapau27 said:

IMG_20240120_090626.thumb.jpg.479b596cd2f31dcf59dfd94fd14e9d9e.jpgIMG_20240121_082851.thumb.jpg.0b41af622f51fd8581ed543dc6a424c2.jpgIMG_20240119_091221.thumb.jpg.900cff364081cab4a039b9148a93ea2e.jpgIMG_20240118_170350.thumb.jpg.37c202a72dbd7fd3a35f7e61a6f6b447.jpgIMG_20240117_165047.thumb.jpg.04c45db1b0e26771efcaf6c844324d81.jpgIMG_20240116_112102.thumb.jpg.82e4dc88cc361e3edb023b478e3547b1.jpgIMG_20240123_071231.thumb.jpg.ca1035f6980921fb3cf8d4afefd9b094.jpgIMG_20240124_075805.thumb.jpg.97e2d79d72bcac42692c97b3a68402fa.jpgIMG_20240124_075652.thumb.jpg.6670949e2477c82df80f6f792b6e5bd3.jpg

Thank you for your kind words @mrsgoggins.

Here is a few balcony photos from our Iona cruise 13-27 January which made us very happy.

Missed these earlier Graham, glad you had a lovely cruise in some winter sun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 9265359 said:

And here is one back in the opposite direction with Azura just peeking around the corner.

image.thumb.jpeg.3bab0f5091d6585c8b8ba7afc5d3612d.jpeg

• Like 3

Good morning.

It is 10°C and raining here.

It is quiet here this morning so I hope everyone is safe and well.

Sorry to hear about King Charles.

I was sad to hear Johnny Irwin one of the best presenters on A Place in The Sun died on Friday aged 50.

Best wishes for a nice day for everyone.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14

10° and breezy here

Meeting with my sister & brother in law for a dog walk and pub lunch.  They have a new pupster, who I haven’t met yet, so I’m looking forward to seeing them all.  4 people, 3 dogs - what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 9