P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Posted (edited)

I'm back from a 3 week jolly to Florida - flew out Virgin PE on points and taxes and sailed back to Amsterdam on Celebrity Silhouette, followed by a flight home to Manchester.  We spent 8 days in Florida.  All worked well and we were especially impressed with Amsterdam airport, and is so often the case, were unimpressed with Manchester airport!

It was sunny and pleasant as we drove home from the airport on Sunday afternoon and yesterday was not too bad in my neck of the woods, although I didn't go outside and did unpacking and catching up instead. DH started on cutting grass and trimming hedges. I skim read most of the posts on here as the Celebrity internet (basic) does not seem to allow me access, although I can access other sites I visit 😏

I have enjoyed all of your photographs (Graham's 'fancy' tea was a stand-out 😋) and hope that those of you who are facing challenges right now, whether they be your own or of those close to you, have positive changes in your near future.  And Jane, if you are reading this, good luck with giving up the cigarettes once again.  I turn to chocolate when stressed - and when not stressed for that matter 😁

Edited by mrsgoggins
Error
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Yeah washout for some unfortunately.

I see your location, my son went to the Totton v Salisbury football play off yesterday afternoon as he follows Totton as well as a season ticket holder at Southampton. Salisbury won on penalties after extra time so were promoted to National League South 👏

Never mind bank holiday washout, it's been more like a season washout! My diary shows it has rained in one form or another most days since August, I kid you not.  We have had flood warnings since December, currently five in place since February, to be reviewed on 8 May.  Some parts of the City look like a war zone with over running flood prevention works - ironically no one can remember these 100 year floods they're preventing - but the works have managed to flood people's homes, collapsed the river banks and caused the water to be so high and fast that two unfortunate people have lost their lives in the water over the winter.  The latest update on completing this River Park which should have finished in April is it has been too wet to plant the mature trees so they'll be held off until November 2025! 

• Like 6

We haven’t had many completely dry days, I know because of factoring in when to mow the lawns, but we haven’t had the quantity of rain that some areas have had, I know because our son lives in Southampton and is always complaining about it

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Phil.

How is your new hip doing?.

I'm pleased you have avoided the flooding in your area.

Graham.

New hip is great thanks Graham, I have had no issues and don't give it any thought now as there is none of the pain I had before the op. Are you thinking of getting yours sorted?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We haven’t had many completely dry days, I know because of factoring in when to mow the lawns, but we haven’t had the quantity of rain that some areas have had, I know because our son lives in Southampton and is always complaining about it

My husband bought a new lawnmower in the Autumn but has yet to be able to use it die to the wet. Ironically while he was away last month we had two dry days and my friend cut it for me.  At least it's nice and green albeit rather long.

Returning to my moan about Water Parks the latest newsletter just arrived.  Apparently the trees which can't be planted have been bought and are now being given away to charities for their use. The Environment Agency will buy new ones in the Autumn. Me being me wonders why a charity will be able to plant them and the EA/builders can't, could it be actually that they're so far behind the trees will probably die if they don't get planted? These are mature trees, I'm so delighted the taxpayer can afford to give them away and buy more.  Bad enough they've planted marginals and water plants twice already only for them to be lost in the deluge they created. Anyway I've attached the Community Newsletter in case anyone wants a laugh or is planning a trip to our City to enjoy a picnic in the car and coach parks with a lovely view of the toilet blocks with the thousands of pounds murals painted on them.

As you might gather I'm not in a good frame of mind today ....

Community newsletter May 2024.pdf

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm back from a 3 week jolly to Florida - flew out Virgin PE on points and taxes and sailed back to Amsterdam on Celebrity Silhouette, followed by a flight home to Manchester.  We spent 8 days in Florida.  All worked well and we were especially impressed with Amsterdam airport, and is so often the case, were unimpressed with Manchester airport!

It was sunny and pleasant as we drove home from the airport on Sunday afternoon and yesterday was not too bad in my neck of the woods, although I didn't go outside and did unpacking and catching up instead. DH started on cutting grass and trimming hedges. I skim read most of the posts on here as the Celebrity internet (basic) does not seem to allow me access, although I can access other sites I visit 😏

I have enjoyed all of your photographs (Graham's 'fancy' tea was a stand-out 😋) and hope that those of you who are facing challenges right now, whether they be your own or of those close to you, have positive changes in your near future.  And Jane, if you are reading this, good luck with giving up the cigarettes once again.  I turn to chocolate when stressed - and when not stressed for that matter 😁

Your 3 weeks holiday sounds amazing.

I'm pleased you had a fantastic stay in Florida and cruise back on Celebrity Silhouette.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

New hip is great thanks Graham, I have had no issues and don't give it any thought now as there is none of the pain I had before the op. Are you thinking of getting yours sorted?

That's great news Phil.

I keep putting it off as I feel okay at the moment.

I have very little flex in my hip through my arthritis especially when standing up from a chair. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your 3 weeks holiday sounds amazing.

I'm pleased you had a fantastic stay in Florida and cruise back on Celebrity Silhouette.

It was really good thanks Graham. I think I’ve said before that the older I’ve become, the less fond I am of overnight flights back from the USA. Cruising back was a good way to do it and next year I’ve booked Celebrity Eclipse (relatively cheap but only 2 ports of call) home from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton in March then a one-way car rental home. And because I know you like Florida too, here’s a photo taken from our room at Disney’s Vero Beach resort on the Atlantic coast, where we spent a couple of days before heading down to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise. It was wonderful, helped by fabulous weather.

PXL_20240421_110031437.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

My husband bought a new lawnmower in the Autumn but has yet to be able to use it die to the wet. Ironically while he was away last month we had two dry days and my friend cut it for me.  At least it's nice and green albeit rather long.

Returning to my moan about Water Parks the latest newsletter just arrived.  Apparently the trees which can't be planted have been bought and are now being given away to charities for their use. The Environment Agency will buy new ones in the Autumn. Me being me wonders why a charity will be able to plant them and the EA/builders can't, could it be actually that they're so far behind the trees will probably die if they don't get planted? These are mature trees, I'm so delighted the taxpayer can afford to give them away and buy more.  Bad enough they've planted marginals and water plants twice already only for them to be lost in the deluge they created. Anyway I've attached the Community Newsletter in case anyone wants a laugh or is planning a trip to our City to enjoy a picnic in the car and coach parks with a lovely view of the toilet blocks with the thousands of pounds murals painted on them.

As you might gather I'm not in a good frame of mind today ....

Community newsletter May 2024.pdf 1.02 MB · 1 download

This is our latest brainwave, these are planters in Huddersfield town centre and are 40 feet high and cost over 1/4 of a million quid. 

Council sparks fury after spending £250,000 to build 40ft high 'planters'  to make town centre more attractive - despite battling to avoid bankruptcy  | Daily Mail Online

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

It was really good thanks Graham. I think I’ve said before that the older I’ve become, the less fond I am of overnight flights back from the USA. Cruising back was a good way to do it and next year I’ve booked Celebrity Eclipse (relatively cheap but only 2 ports of call) home from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton in March then a one-way car rental home. And because I know you like Florida too, here’s a photo taken from our room at Disney’s Vero Beach resort on the Atlantic coast, where we spent a couple of days before heading down to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise. It was wonderful, helped by fabulous weather.

PXL_20240421_110031437.jpeg

Beautiful photo.

We were in Orlando in October with the last return flights of the year with TUI from Newcastle to Melbourne Florida.

The flight out is exciting and we usually try to stay awake in Orlando till 10pm US time which would be 03.00am back home.

The return flight although shorter is a nightmare and harder to overcome Jet lag.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

This is our latest brainwave, these are planters in Huddersfield town centre and are 40 feet high and cost over 1/4 of a million quid. 

Council sparks fury after spending £250,000 to build 40ft high 'planters'  to make town centre more attractive - despite battling to avoid bankruptcy  | Daily Mail Online

Could have a word with Rotherham council, they may swap you a couple of 

our Lord Rhymers "Ears of Corn "   ,which resembles some old pit girders 

painted yellow ? 😬🤔  

unnamed.jpg.bcb00c126abdc79f263a6f1030dc55f9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

OMG,they could at least turn them into mobile phone masts.More useful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Wooly hat and waterproofs yesterday,shorts and t shirt today.It will still be 3 days b4 the swamp at the end of my walk thru the fields drys out.We have seed drone attacks from our neighbours Sycamore and they instantly take root.The 2 30ft palm trees in our communal front garden in Italy seed every year and that is even worse.At least we don't have that problem now.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kalos said:

painted yellow ? 😬🤔  

Even Barcelona Council are finding things a bit tough. If you want duck a'la Orange..pick your own.

20240507_112931.jpg

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well those should definitely put a stop to anyone trying to drive along New Street.

• Like 1

I went for my walk across the local fields and I was surprised how dry the footpaths are, ground cracking in some places! On the walk I heard a cuckoo for the first time in many years, a badger set that I haven’t noticed before and the farmer is busy ploughing ridges and planting potatoes. I’m glad that I can walk the various field footpaths again instead of road pavements.

IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Well those should definitely put a stop to anyone trying to drive along New Street.

Oh,they're traffic bollards.Do they rise and fall?

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I went for my walk across the local fields and I was surprised how dry the footpaths are, ground cracking in some places! On the walk I heard a cuckoo for the first time in many years, a badger set that I haven’t noticed before and the farmer is busy ploughing ridges and planting potatoes. I’m glad that I can walk the various field footpaths again instead of road pavements.

IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

Don't step on the cracks,it's unlucky.😉.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, kalos said:

painted yellow ? 😬🤔  

I remember when that road was just a baby and did not need a roundabout!

• Like 2

Another day of two halves weather wise today, the forecast was for a dull cooler day, which was how it started. I risked the shorts and T shirt for our breakfast run to Barnsley and it wasn't too bad. By 13:00 the sun was out and cracking the flags. So we took advantage and built up our vitamin D content. 

• Like 6

Another day of warm sunshine, the 4th in a row, albeit we had some overnight showers at weekend. Have been sitting on patio this afternoon, had to put on my sun hat as sun was burning the top of my head where hair covering is thinner, temperature was 23C, the patio is south facing and sheltered. 

Have been trying to find some Trellis fixing kits, was offered kits fir metal trellis at 3 well known DIY stores, in the the end I have put together my own version using 10mm pipe inserts & long screws, much cheaper than the online offerings. So I will attempt to put the trellis up tomorrow as clematis needs support as it has grown rapidly in the last few days. 

• Like 2

As reported in an earlier post, I have renewed my Flexplus travel insurance with the new insurers (Aviva).  All ok. 

Today I received a letter from Nationwide reminding me I needed to renew any add-ons and complete the medical screening.  OK I've done that BUT within the mailing was a booklet to check the benefits.  Thought I'd check it was as I expected......... Well!   

'If over 70 you will need an age extension at £65'.   What?  So read the back of the brochure - it was dated October 2023 and on closer inspection of the back page it say the insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance!    Unbelievable!   Just as well their customers are more on the ball!  

• Like 3

Last night there were thefts of 3 cars off the drives on a nearby new housing estate, clearly owners were up in arms about the thefts, quite rightly. Lots of suggestions how to prevent thefts, such as make sure doors are locked, security lighting, cctv, faraday bags, disklok for steering wheel etc.

One glaring item was missing, put the car in the garage, all the shared cctv footage shows cars parked outside the garage, often a double garage, why not put car inside out of view, that’s where mine goes each night. I wonder how many have on their insurance “locked in a garage overnight” but actually leave it on the drive.

• Like 9

Seems to get worse these days.If it aint bolted down "they" will take it .

A few miles up the road from us a few weeks back ,there was a report

of a household  waking up to discover their front lawn was missing 😮

That's the perils of artificial grass for you .

Have a good day everyone 🙂

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Seems to get worse these days.If it aint bolted down "they" will take it .

A few miles up the road from us a few weeks back ,there was a report

of a household  waking up to discover their front lawn was missing 😮

That's the perils of artificial grass for you .

Have a good day everyone 🙂

Same estate has had numerous instances of theft of garden ornaments such as plant pots, one incident last week when a homeowner challenged a woman who had taken a plant pot from garden at 1:00 am and was threatened with a screwdriver, fortunately other neighbours heard the commotion and managed to detain her until the police arrived.

• Like 6