P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ps @Megabear2 are you now a supporter of the uppies or the doonies ?

Let’s see how good your tour guide was😀

I'm trying to work out if Essex lies to the north or south of the Cathedral .. I'll come back to you when my slide rule gives a result. I quite fancy the uppies given the choice.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh and by the way, I bought these guys... vote time, shall I let them run free on Queen Anne???

20240528_104531.jpg

We found one nesting by the pool in Madeira and from the look of his eyes he had 

been on their wine again .🙃

20240515_112328.thumb.jpg.ea290d74701f68f1cb542b47ce9dfd96.jpg

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes Orcadians tend to prefer Scappa (as do I). Not that I would knock Highland Park which also has some great drams but more commercial.

You have had a busy day and seen most of the best places of interest by the looks.

Yes  a six hour private minibus tour with Go Orkney.  Really thorough, great knowledge and the minibus is normally the dial a ride for the islands.  Unfortunately we were sharing with some passengers on Nieuw Statendam who had an earlier sailing- we're still here all onboard is 6.30pm - or we would gave an an extra hour or so.  An absolutely unforgettable day, if every thins else is a washout today will be more than enough.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Spot on .  When Mrs K had a big op a few years back ,our lad was up and down

the UK in his waggon sleeping out .

Even if it was just 2 minutes ,he made time until he was back in the area.

Well done to your lad Kalos.

Both Pauline and I would call in on our parents every day.

Sadly they are all gone now but at least we have good memories of them.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well done to your lad Kalos.

Both Pauline and I would call in on our parents every day.

Sadly they are all gone now but at least we have good memories of them.

Me too. I visited mum every day to cook, clean, change dressings and keep her company, managed to keep her safe, happy and comfortable until she passed. As you say good memories.

I don’t know about you but small things remind me of my parents. My dad made my wooden chopping board and mum bought me a special cooking knife for Christmas one year decades ago. I use both every single day and they remind me of them both.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We enjoyed Skara Brae too and the little church,built by POW'S if 

We remember rightly .

That little church was one of ghe highlights of our trip.  We bought a little book about how it was built and decorated by the Italian POWs.  We loaned the book to DH's dad because he had an Italian friend who had been one of the POWs who had helped to build it.  We never got the book back because dad loaned it to his Italian friend and never got it back.

• Like 4

Yes, isn’t that Italian Church history so memorable. It was the highlight of our

cruise last year. Would love to go back. A lovely girl next door teaches history

and she has the booklet that you speak of to teach her students history of WW2.

Even now, relatives of the Italians who built this church, re visit to check on its

maintenance. Particularly relevant this week with D Day, would love to visit the

Normandy beaches.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Me too. I visited mum every day to cook, clean, change dressings and keep her company, managed to keep her safe, happy and comfortable until she passed. As you say good memories.

I don’t know about you but small things remind me of my parents. My dad made my wooden chopping board and mum bought me a special cooking knife for Christmas one year decades ago. I use both every single day and they remind me of them both.

My dad was a maintenance electrician in a local shipyard but served his apprenticeship as a blacksmith.

He could always fix anything.

My mam bought me my first car in 1974 and was incredibly kind to all of her family.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

His mum is ill and since his dad and sister both died last November she was only just starting to get back to normal.  I know that he had to go to court to support the client this morning but I cannot see any reason why he can't ask for compassionate time.  It is time he grew up and put his mum ahead of people who are making little effort to turn their lives around.

Whilst I can see why you would be angry , you cannot just ask for time off on the same day as there may be no-one to cover for you at short notice. Having worked in a similar field I know the problems with these situations though I am sure he could have found time to at least phone.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Funboy said:

Whilst I can see why you would be angry , you cannot just ask for time off on the same day as there may be no-one to cover for you at short notice. Having worked in a similar field I know the problems with these situations though I am sure he could have found time to at least phone.

My last employer refused to let me leave 30 minutes early to visit my mother in hospital and I therefore never saw her.  I lived 100 miles away and had a long train journey involving crossing London and overhead trains.  I'd worked there 13 years.  I left shortly after, however my friend had cancer and was made to take holiday and unpaid leave to have her chemotherapy.  This was a leading London lawyer.

Employers unfortunately can be very cruel about absence.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6

We are trying to watch Spring Watch but at the same time we are watching a robin that has made a hole in one of the conifers in the garden.  DH had thought that the robin was being a nuisance going in and out of the tree.  He has now changed his mind because on Spring Watch they have been talking about birds making nests inside holes in trees and going in and out feeding their chicks.  One of our robins has been picking something off the hedges then going back into the conifer so DH thinks there maybe a nest inside the conifer and the robin is feeding chicks.  I have told him that he has to keep away from that corner of the garden even if it means that corner becomes a bit over grown.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

My last employer refused to let me leave 30 minutes early to visit my mother in hospital and I therefore never saw her.  I lived 100 miles away and had a long train journey involving crossing London and overhead trains.  I'd worked there 13 years.  I left shortly after, however my friend had cancer and was made to take holiday and unpaid leave to have her chemotherapy.  This was a leading London lawyer.

Employers unfortunately can be very cruel about absence.

Fortunately the bank I worked for was the complete opposite, when my stepfather died my boss told me to take 10 days paid compassionate leave to support my mother. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

A quick visit to Dolgellau this evening to pick up Michelle, her sister & a takeaway. The locals are very friendly. 

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

IMG_3760.jpeg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Fortunately the bank I worked for was the complete opposite, when my stepfather died my boss told me to take 10 days paid compassionate leave to support my mother. 

When my dad died I was in France for a planning meeting. The French personnel department changed all of my travel arrangements to get me home ASAP and called Stoke personnel to arrange for a driver to pick me up at Manchester to get me home. 

The company that I worked for gave anyone with a close relative who died a week off.

It is all down to how the employer values their staff.

• Like 11

14c overcast and only a light breeze at the moment.

We had a 10 minute power cut at 8 o’clock so I have had to reset some clocks and check that our sky boxes, router and central heating controls have all come back on unscathed. I always have to reset the central heating timer by using a cocktail stick in the reset port after a power cut it doesn’t just reset itself, all of the programmed settings remain though fortunately.

Yesterday I had a re blood test yesterday after I had slightly low sodium levels found during my multi test in April, but I never add salt on plated food and drink about 4 pints of water a day so maybe that’s why.

• Like 3

Good morning everyone, it’s a cloudy cool and breezy day here today.

I am sat having a coffee at Sandcastle Water Park in Blackpool. It is busy already so I am glad I booked an early slot for them.

Nothing planned for this afternoon, we might just go into Lytham

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing 

Michelle

• Like 6

Good morning to you all.

It's a dull, damp and not sure if is still is, but it's been drizzling, although the forecast is for dry weather.

I've just booked flights for end of September to Palermo to visit the in-laws. My youngest son is coming with us too, and it will be his birthday while we are away. Hopefully I can arrange a celebration for him with his cousins and the rest of the family. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Good morning to you all.

It's a dull, damp and not sure if is still is, but it's been drizzling, although the forecast is for dry weather.

I've just booked flights for end of September to Palermo to visit the in-laws. My youngest son is coming with us too, and it will be his birthday while we are away. Hopefully I can arrange a celebration for him with his cousins and the rest of the family. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

We are down to St Ives in a couple of weeks. Next week we will buy a few extra bits for the seagulls.  The locals like you to feed them.🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We are down to St Ives in a couple of weeks. Next week we will buy a few extra bits for the seagulls.  The locals like you to feed them.🤣

I hope you are joking zap99, but some people might not see it that way. As someone who has lived in Devon all my life I have experienced the nasty side of seagulls. They should never be fed as it encourages them pinch food straight out of your hand, cause injury and spread disease. They have also been known to steal small pets.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Devon born and bred said:

I hope you are joking zap99, but some people might not see it that way. As someone who has lived in Devon all my life I have experienced the nasty side of seagulls. They should never be fed as it encourages them pinch food straight out of your hand, cause injury and spread disease. They have also been known to steal small pets.

It's their lack of education. They just won't do as they are told. A few chips we will be OK, won't it.🤣

IMG_20220605_141112~2.jpg

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zap99 said:

😠😠😠😠

Try living with them!!!!  

Edited by purplesea
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It's their lack of education. They just won't do as they are told. A few chips we will be OK, won't it.🤣

IMG_20220605_141112~2.jpg

Some things are no joking matter. I have seen first hand injuries being caused, small children being petrified by seagulls stealing their food and damage caused all because visitors don't understand they are vermin and dangerous, spreading diseases like e-coli and salmonella.

• Like 1