P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I should hope so Harry. Garlic is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and I love it. I put it in nearly every savoury thing I can.

Avril

So do we, grew our own garlic this year, a long string of it hanging in the garage should see us through until well into 2022. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ugggggggggghhhhhh - glad that we are probably up wind of you at the coast and at home 😉 

It is Snow Hill’s garlic not mine. Only upwind until the direction of the wind turns 😇.
Our castle on the coast seemed to have an even larger tented village outside last weekend. 🏰 🎪.

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It is Snow Hill’s garlic not mine. Only upwind until the direction of the wind turns 😇.
Our castle on the coast seemed to have an even larger tented village outside last weekend. 🏰 🎪.

Ohhh exciting --- we are over soon and will definitely be over at some point while I'm a Celeb is on to just enjoy the atmosphere in the town and watch the castle all lit up. Perhaps see the 3 of you there 😉

• Like 1

Morning everyone, hope you are all well today.

It looks like a cloudy day today here but no wind thank goodness.

I had my booster injection Saturday morning, I was given the Moderna one. Didn’t feel great Sunday and I was in bed by 8pm and slept  for eleven hours which is definitely not like me. Feeling fine now thankfully, I hate feeling groggy.

Not much planned today. I have been tracing my family tree and I must admit once I log into ancestry it takes over everything and jobs in the house that need doing are forgotten about!

Have a nice day everyone and stay safe

Michelle

• Like 4

We popped in to see our 2 year old granddaughter Thursday,we were warned she had a cold although she seemed ok to us.Had the Pfiezer booster Friday.Woke up Sunday with stinking colds.Coughing a bit today.1st bloody cold since the pandemic started.

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all well today.

It looks like a cloudy day today here but no wind thank goodness.

I had my booster injection Saturday morning, I was given the Moderna one. Didn’t feel great Sunday and I was in bed by 8pm and slept  for eleven hours which is definitely not like me. Feeling fine now thankfully, I hate feeling groggy.

Not much planned today. I have been tracing my family tree and I must admit once I log into ancestry it takes over everything and jobs in the house that need doing are forgotten about!

Have a nice day everyone and stay safe

Michelle

I had the Pfizer booster on Saturday and had a headache felt groggy and tired too on Sunday but only a very slight pain at the injection site.

Pauline was able to book her booster for early December.

I have arranged to call on a long time customer today while Pauline is working from home.

A few regulars have been missing including@kalos so I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Hi Michelle, How do you find Ancestry ?

I have been thinking of tracing my family, and have seen lots of ads on the telly for their website.

Would you recommend it ?

Thanks

I would definitely recommend it. We knew my great grandad went to Australia and left behind a wife and two children who he was supposed to call for once he arrived. They never heard from him again, he was only 28 so an expert I have spoken to thinks it is probable he might have remarried and started a family over there. Just requested an Ancestry DNA test to see if we have relatives we didn’t know about

Michelle

• Like 1

Hi all,

Dull and overcast down here with just enough breeze to move the leaves on the trees, and still mild.

Hope you are feeling better after your jab, Graham.

I got up a silly o'clock this morning to book a delivery slot for Christmas. When I logged in there were 54,500+ in front of me😲 Took less than a hour in the queue and managed to get a slot for 23rd December. At least I was able to have a cuppa, or two sitting on the sofa while queuing☺️

I have used Ancestry to trace my family tree and have found and met relations on both sides of my family tree.  It does become addictive. 

Feeling a bit low this morning as said good-bye to my youngest daughter as she is heading off to Heathrow today to fly out to Australia on Thursday. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Hi Michelle, How do you find Ancestry ?

I have been thinking of tracing my family, and have seen lots of ads on the telly for their website.

Would you recommend it ?

Thanks

I started working on my family history in 2008, and used Ancestry, and found it very easy to use.

I stopped subscribing about 6 years ago, as I felt that I had gone as far as I could with the information available.

A couple of years ago, my husband decided to start researching his family history, and signed up to Find My Past. As I was helping him, I got back into my research again, and transferred my family tree over to Find My Past. Due to being in lockdown, I spent a lot of time in the early part of this year doing research. There’s a lot more information online now, and I was able to solve some puzzles that had previously eluded me.

I thought Ancestry and Find My Past equally easy to use, but I’d currently recommend Find My Past, as they will have access to the 1921 Census from 6th January 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We popped in to see our 2 year old granddaughter Thursday,we were warned she had a cold although she seemed ok to us.Had the Pfiezer booster Friday.Woke up Sunday with stinking colds.Coughing a bit today.1st bloody cold since the pandemic started.

Not a cold bro, Pfizer after-effects.  We had ours on Friday too, and it can take up to 4 days for any to show. Both of us are reacting the same as you, Frank's began early Saturday morning and he's only just starting to feel better and mine started Sunday and I still feel awful. All those lovely little antibodies being made😉

Hope you feel better soon.

Sis

• Like 2

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

I got up a silly o'clock this morning to book a delivery slot for Christmas. When I logged in there were 54,500+ in front of me😲 Took less than a hour in the queue and managed to get a slot for 23rd December. At least I was able to have a cuppa, or two sitting on the sofa while queuing☺️

You did well!  I logged on at 5.59 am only to find I was 113,347 in the queue!  I finally got a slot at 7.15 am, also for 23rd although not as early in the day as I normally choose.  Note to self for next year along the lines of ‘early bird catches ….’ 🤪.  I wonder what time number one in the queue logged on? 😄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

You did well!  I logged on at 5.59 am only to find I was 113,347 in the queue!  I finally got a slot at 7.15 am, also for 23rd although not as early in the day as I normally choose.  Note to self for next year along the lines of ‘early bird catches ….’ 🤪.  I wonder what time number one in the queue logged on? 😄

I must have been lucky as I turned my laptop on about 5.50 am and had placed my order and checked out by 6.40 am. I must admit I had my filled my shopping basket last night so only had to book the slot and pay! 

• Like 1

Not a good day so far. 8.10am odd neighbour ringing my doorbell off the hook. Opened door and a volley of nasty verbal abuse. Won't bother folks here with it. Seems a skip was delivered outside his house so I am "yet again" rubbing his nose in it. Why, what for? Good question it isn't anything to do with me. In the end had to get the police. Only too aware it was a waste of their time. When they came they just could not get any sense out of him and he was violent towards them so was arrested. I just don't know what to do I was taking on board advice to take 5 before considering a move. Still am but blimey.

4 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Not a good day so far. 8.10am odd neighbour ringing my doorbell off the hook. Opened door and a volley of nasty verbal abuse. Won't bother folks here with it. Seems a skip was delivered outside his house so I am "yet again" rubbing his nose in it. Why, what for? Good question it isn't anything to do with me. In the end had to get the police. Only too aware it was a waste of their time. When they came they just could not get any sense out of him and he was violent towards them so was arrested. I just don't know what to do I was taking on board advice to take 5 before considering a move. Still am but blimey.

Wow what a horrible neighbour.

Take care and ignore him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I must have been lucky as I turned my laptop on about 5.50 am and had placed my order and checked out by 6.40 am. I must admit I had my filled my shopping basket last night so only had to book the slot and pay! 

I just 'threw' a bottle of baileys and a bottle of whisky in my basket - neither of which I will be having delivered 😄

4 hours ago, purplesea said:

Hi all,

Dull and overcast down here with just enough breeze to move the leaves on the trees, and still mild.

Hope you are feeling better after your jab, Graham.

I have used Ancestry to trace my family tree and have found and met relations on both sides of my family tree.  It does become addictive. 

Feeling a bit low this morning as said good-bye to my youngest daughter as she is heading off to Heathrow today to fly out to Australia on Thursday. 

Hope everyone has a good day.

I was up at silly o’clock as well, when I joined at 5:50 I was number 106943, finally got a booking for 22nd, we have done a lot of our food shopping already, our Christmas Day joint of beef is in freezer, has been since early October. The 22nd slot is for the essentials we can’t buy well in advance, plus post Christmas needs, veg as usual will be purchased from local farm shop as quality is better than supermarkets, spouts will be picked from garden on Christmas Eve, managed to keep the Cabbage Whites off them this year after investing in a cage and net. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I just 'threw' a bottle of baileys and a bottle of whisky in my basket - neither of which I will be having delivered 😄

Last year my daughter just threw a turkey and some other items into her shopping basket to make up the price but didn't cancel them in time so had them delivered!🙄 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ccpm said:

How awful for you. You've obviously been unlucky enough to find the village idiot🤪.

Please don't let this incident ruin things for you. I've read all you posts and the posts since you've moved showed how happy and content you are there, don't let anyone or anything ruin that for you. Take a calming breath, a comforting glass or two🍷😉 and move forward.

I actually wasn't going to spoil my manners and say this, but what the heck............Stuff him!!😁

Avril

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ccpm said:

What a horrible sounding neighbour. Take care and avoid him!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I started working on my family history in 2008, and used Ancestry, and found it very easy to use.

I stopped subscribing about 6 years ago, as I felt that I had gone as far as I could with the information available.

A couple of years ago, my husband decided to start researching his family history, and signed up to Find My Past. As I was helping him, I got back into my research again, and transferred my family tree over to Find My Past. Due to being in lockdown, I spent a lot of time in the early part of this year doing research. There’s a lot more information online now, and I was able to solve some puzzles that had previously eluded me.

I thought Ancestry and Find My Past equally easy to use, but I’d currently recommend Find My Past, as they will have access to the 1921 Census from 6th January 2022.

Been doing my family history since 1980, a lot easier now with the advent of online database, but I still visit archives to find stuff that won’t be online like the indictment for my great x 7 great uncle convicted for stealing 2 geese, and tried to blame his dog. Transported to Van Diemans Land for 7 years, never made it as died from fever on the ship Alexander in Portsmouth Harbour before it set sail as part of the First Fleet of convicts to be sent down under. Left a pregnant wife and 5 children behind.  

Another ancestor was Chaplain to Bishop John Hacket, Bishop of Lichfield from 1661 who oversaw restoration of Lichfield Cathedral after the Civil War. For his work with the Bishop he was personally awarded a Doctorate by King Charles II.

Finding ancestors names is one step, expanding their story is the next. 

• Like 2