P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 hours ago, pete14 said:

Mr and Mrs Pete and Charlie are sheltering in our nice, well insulated house listening to the Staffordshire wind and rain. There were some high tides on the coast earlier in the last week but your home from home stayed dry.

Having just checked the Welsh news think we did the right thing by staying here. Lots of trees down and roads closed around Rhyl, Rhos and St Asaph and a house rook in Llandudno crashed down. Our blink cameras are showing that our caravan is not a boat yet and looks fine 🙂

Think we are going to venture out to a local garden centre for a while, but am guessing it won't be a long visit !

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

Apart from high winds overnight got off lightly here in South Cheshire, no snow / sleet and not much rain. Temperature has dropped in the last few hours from 3 to 2c though. Time to 'pull up the drawbridge' (as we say) settle down and watch the TV sport and then evening shows. It's nice to have an excuse not to do outside chores!!

21 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Apart from high winds overnight got off lightly here in South Cheshire, no snow / sleet and not much rain. Temperature has dropped in the last few hours from 3 to 2c though. Time to 'pull up the drawbridge' (as we say) settle down and watch the TV sport and then evening shows. It's nice to have an excuse not to do outside chores!!

You can’t be too far away from us in North Staffs. We had strong winds but also snow which has now turned to slush. Will pull up the drawbridge when I return from football around 5:00 pm

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You can’t be too far away from us in North Staffs. We had strong winds but also snow which has now turned to slush. Will pull up the drawbridge when I return from football around 5:00 pm

Stoke or the Vale? I've been to watch the Saints play Stoke quite a few times (closest away match) including a direct goal by the Stoke goalkeeper in the wind very early in a match a few years ago, always seems windy at the ground. Hoping that Liverpool don't thump us today!

I live near Nantwich and we get less harsh winter weather than the Potteries, where I worked before retirement people commuting from the Potteries could have several inches of snow on their cars with only a light dusting or just rain here only a relative few miles away.

3 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Stoke or the Vale? I've been to watch the Saints play Stoke quite a few times (closest away match) including a direct goal by the Stoke goalkeeper in the wind very early in a match a few years ago, always seems windy at the ground. Hoping that Liverpool don't thump us today!

I live near Nantwich and we get less harsh winter weather than the Potteries, where I worked before retirement people commuting from the Potteries could have several inches of snow on their cars with only a light dusting or just rain here only a relative few miles away.

I think Pete has probably choked that you think he would be going to the Vale 🙂 Us Prestos on the other hand, would take it as a complement 🙂 🙂 🙂 

You really are close then if in Nantwich - am guessing that Cheshire rarely gets as much snow as we do here. Anyway, we are venturing out now for an hour or so, so wish us luck.

• Like 1

A bit of a windy night here to say the least, front of the house faces north thus bore the brunt of the winds, we are on a hill and there are no properties opposite only trees, so little to deflect the wind. We were woken up by a piece of stray debris hitting the bedroom window, didn't break fortunately, then tried to get back to sleep only to be annoyed by the letter box rattling and the inside flap tapping, finished up taping inside flap down, We had a cuppa and biscuit and went back to bed around 2:30am. I woke at 8am looking out of window on a road of broken branches & twigs, a but no trees down opposite. Surprising neighbours fence survived despite being rather dilapidated, he is waiting for new panels to be made. Bird feeder leaning at around 80%, my mini greenhouse blown over despite being propped up by a metal stake and surrounded on 3 sides by planters full of soil and tied to the garage wall. Will clear up mess when winds die down as one planter was overturned.

On the positive side ordered a new Samsung Smartphone yesterday at a saving of £350 off usual price, sometimes Black Friday is worth it. #Also a sweater I had been eyeing up for a while but thought £70 was too much, got it for £24, plus a few other items total price would have been £130, whole lot including delivery £52.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I think Pete has probably choked that you think he would be going to the Vale 🙂 Us Prestos on the other hand, would take it as a complement 🙂 🙂 🙂 

You really are close then if in Nantwich - am guessing that Cheshire rarely gets as much snow as we do here. Anyway, we are venturing out now for an hour or so, so wish us luck.

Although less snow here being low lying on the Cheshire plain gets us lower night frost temperatures and fog more often than the Potteries. Mind you with global warming the winters up here are less harsh than my upbringing in Southampton in the 1960s/70s.

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Fencing firms and tree surgeons will be having a good Christmas 💴 

Too true, we have one down.  But ..... I don't care ..... the power is back on, yippee!  Lost power before midnight and it was restored around 1.30 pm.  Temperature in living room at that time was a bracing 14.5C.  Fortunately I have a gas hob and with the help of one small ring and pans of water I was able to keep 20C in there.  I will be able to watch Strictly in my own home.  Oh joy! 😊

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Too true, we have one down.  But ..... I don't care ..... the power is back on, yippee!  Lost power before midnight and it was restored around 1.30 pm.  Temperature in living room at that time was a bracing 14.5C.  Fortunately I have a gas hob and with the help of one small ring and pans of water I was able to keep 20C in there.  I will be able to watch Strictly in my own home.  Oh joy! 😊

I put another jumper on.

E. Scrooge

🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We’ve been without power since 4am and Scottish Power’s latest text informs me that it should be restored by midday tomorrow! So we’ve emptied the freezer and taken things to my parents a few miles away. They’re on a different line and haven’t been cut off at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We’ve been without power since 4am and Scottish Power’s latest text informs me that it should be restored by midday tomorrow! So we’ve emptied the freezer and taken things to my parents a few miles away. They’re on a different line and haven’t been cut off at all. 

Really sorry to hear that. That’s awful for you. You do have some means of keeping warm I hope?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Oh no. So sorry. Thank goodness your parents are not far away and have space in their freezer.  Hopefully you are managing to keep warm.

• Like 4

We’re fine! Two woodburners going flat out, which are rarely used as we have central heating! The worse bit is no water as we have a bore hole and a pump. Back home now using 4G which is behaving itself tonight. The freezer wasn’t that full of stuff really. Years ago, it used to be chock a block as we used to buy a whole lamb at a time. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh no. So sorry. Thank goodness your parents are not far away and have space in their freezer.  Hopefully you are managing to keep warm.

Lots of farms have additional freezers in outbuildings as they fill them up with their own meat, so yes, we are lucky! 

• Like 1

Good Morning Dear Friends

Well here we are again - in a state of alarm and angst and wondering if our cruises are going to happen or not. I was so sorry to read about the Cunarders whose cruise was cancelled at virtually no notice. I'm obviously being very careful what I'm writing because I don't want to be deleted.

I hope the weather has calmed for those of you who have really suffered with storms and snow.  I'm also thinking of you all without heat and light. Here where I live we have got away lightly. High winds yes, very cold temperatures also, but nothing beyond that. 

On lighter notes, Teddy is very happy to curl up by the radiator to keep cosy, and pretty well refuses to go out apart from doing the necessary, so very little venturing out for me this weekend. My dreaded shopping day with my daughter turned out much better than expected and we actually had a lovely day together. The Black Friday queues didn't exist, we got all our Christmas shopping done, and even had a leisurely relaxing brunch. It was so nice to spend a special day just the two of us.

Please be safe everyone. Look after yourselves and your loved ones. With best wishes to you all. Jane.x 

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Dear Friends

Well here we are again - in a state of alarm and angst and wondering if our cruises are going to happen or not. I was so sorry to read about the Cunarders whose cruise was cancelled at virtually no notice. I'm obviously being very careful what I'm writing because I don't want to be deleted.

I hope the weather has calmed for those of you who have really suffered with storms and snow.  I'm also thinking of you all without heat and light. Here where I live we have got away lightly. High winds yes, very cold temperatures also, but nothing beyond that. 

On lighter notes, Teddy is very happy to curl up by the radiator to keep cosy, and pretty well refuses to go out apart from doing the necessary, so very little venturing out for me this weekend. My dreaded shopping day with my daughter turned out much better than expected and we actually had a lovely day together. The Black Friday queues didn't exist, we got all our Christmas shopping done, and even had a leisurely relaxing brunch. It was so nice to spend a special day just the two of us.

Please be safe everyone. Look after yourselves and your loved ones. With best wishes to you all. Jane.x 

Good morning Jane,

So pleased to hear you had a lovely day out on Friday with your daughter and well done on getting all Christmas shopping done.

I am also lucky that Freddie is happy with the garden - we did venture out in the afternoon but I think the wind and the leaves must have sent him loopy as he was darting from side to side with great excitement and tail swishing. How he didn’t pull me over or upend me I do not know!

The news is depressing but I’m just so grateful I had my booster last weekend and once again thank everyone who is working so hard to keep us safe and well.

Gill x

• Like 8