P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well we have a new fashion trend here, the home made face covering for those going on public transport or to the supermarket.

People are amazingly inventive everything from an old wool scarf through artistically draped silk scars to home made masks using any thick cotton fabric that came to hand. I swear some people have even co-ordinated the fabric to match their jackets! 

If this goes on for a while retailers might sell the matching face covering to go with the outfit, there would be a big market for them in Europe.

So many half-baked puns! 😉

It’s raining like crazy here today.  Only the 2nd or 3rd rainy day since lockdown.  It’s not nice.  Imagine it’s November.  This is what lockdown will be like then - only colder 🙁

I guess something will happen sometime.  Like others, like everyone, I would love a vaccine but I’m really not terribly hopeful.  Covid19 is related to the common cold, more than it is related to seasonal flu, and they’ve been trying for a vaccine for that for decades.  There’s a long-standing unit at Porton Down where volunteers have been welcome to be guinea pigs for the various trials.

I think we might well get to a point where Covid viral pneumonia might be like bacterial pneumonia was pre-antibiotics.  It took the weak, the old, the vulnerable.  Some survived.  There were still people who reached 90.  

If it’s going to be with us for the foreseeable future, say for 10-20 years, then I think we might get to the point when oldies, etc, have a choice.  Stay locked down for the rest of your life or go out and take your chance.  At least you would be living a life, rather than simply existing

Best not to think too deeply just now but I wish there was more likelihood of a silver lining

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Don't lay in the sun without a drink.. 

You will get dry roasted... 

Andy 

I'd never do that. I'll end up looking like a prune. Do you think these posts are driving me nuts or am I just being fruity?😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

So many half-baked puns! 😉

It’s raining like crazy here today.  Only the 2nd or 3rd rainy day since lockdown.  It’s not nice.  Imagine it’s November.  This is what lockdown will be like then - only colder 🙁

I guess something will happen sometime.  Like others, like everyone, I would love a vaccine but I’m really not terribly hopeful.  Covid19 is related to the common cold, more than it is related to seasonal flu, and they’ve been trying for a vaccine for that for decades.  There’s a long-standing unit at Porton Down where volunteers have been welcome to be guinea pigs for the various trials.

I think we might well get to a point where Covid viral pneumonia might be like bacterial pneumonia was pre-antibiotics.  It took the weak, the old, the vulnerable.  Some survived.  There were still people who reached 90.  

If it’s going to be with us for the foreseeable future, say for 10-20 years, then I think we might get to the point when oldies, etc, have a choice.  Stay locked down for the rest of your life or go out and take your chance.  At least you would be living a life, rather than simply existing

Best not to think too deeply just now but I wish there was more likelihood of a silver lining

I pretty much agree with you on the evidence so far.  Most will survive Covid, but some won't, and that's mostly, but not exclusively, the elderly.  As someone in the shielded group unable to leave home for the foreseeable future (unless and until there's an effective vaccine in fact) I'm seriously concerned about the loss of freedom, but I fully understand the potential consequences of going out.

I hope very much for a vaccine, and for the chance to receive it after health workers, but realistically I know it may take a long time, and may never come at all. 

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My OH is making a banana,strawberry and walnut cake right now.Should be interesting.She goes offpiste with these extra ingredients,lol.

Sounds interesting. Let me know how it turns out. 

Avril 

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

As someone in the shielded group unable to leave home for the foreseeable future (unless and until there's an effective vaccine in fact) I'm seriously concerned about the loss of freedom, but I fully understand the potential consequences of going out.

Harry, I totally sympathise with your position.

As a slight "contrarian ", I'm of an opinion that in a similar position, I might consider that the life I am living, confined to my house, unable to go out, is really just surviving, rather than actually living. Given that sort of predicament I might decide to risk it all, and carry on as normal. The only thing that would stop me is placing adverse strain on the already stretched NHS.

However, it is such a difficult time, no choice is ever easy.

• Like 1

That’s exactly it Wowzz

I’m fit & fine but I’m 70

Before lockdown I couldn’t fault any part of my active life

Now, I’m just existing, still enjoying much but in a very limited way

I don’t want every day to be like this till I fade away at 95 (we’re a long-lived family)

I don’t want to endanger others, or burden the NHS, but I don’t want years and years of this 

59 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sounds interesting. Let me know how it turns out. 

Avril 

Will do.Self raising flour is rare here and the only store that sells it was sold out.We found out by adding a small amount of baking powder to plain flour does the job.It goes in the oven later,hope we got the ratios right,lol.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry, I totally sympathise with your position.

As a slight "contrarian ", I'm of an opinion that in a similar position, I might consider that the life I am living, confined to my house, unable to go out, is really just surviving, rather than actually living. Given that sort of predicament I might decide to risk it all, and carry on as normal. The only thing that would stop me is placing adverse strain on the already stretched NHS.

However, it is such a difficult time, no choice is ever easy.

I may reach the same conclusion at some point, but at the moment, in the fortunate position of having a nice house and garden, and plenty of tech, life’s still very enjoyable.  With no immune system and an incurable underlying condition, the outcome of contracting the dreaded virus is plain, and that dictates my behaviour for now.

Things change, though.  There may well be an unexpected breakthrough that will change everything. Serendipity - look at the way penicillin was discovered.

• Like 2

Well said wowzz and Eddie99, those comments about not wanting to put any strain on or burden the NHS are really pertinent to me this morning. A lifelong friend (ex-paramedic) has just reported that his former colleague and mentor has passed away this morning due to COVID-19. It all happened really quickly.

I didn't know the guy but I'm so sad for my friend but also glad that he is no longer a paramedic (though his wife works in ICU so the worry is still there).

Apparently over the whole of Yorkshire Ambulance Services there are 30 staff currently in ICU. These first responders really are on the front line right now.

Sorry for a gloomy post but wanted to say thanks to all the considerate people on here doing the right thing at this awful time.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Will do.Self raising flour is rare here and the only store that sells it was sold out.We found out by adding a small amount of baking powder to plain flour does the job.It goes in the oven later,hope we got the ratios right,lol.

About 2 teaspoons to every 6oz of flour. Sorry I don't do metric.

Avril