P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Morning Harry. 

There is a slight delay in the deliveries of the Pfizer.  It's not a supply or stock issue, just a hold up in the logistics of delivery.  We had to pool our lists a few weeks back and will do the same again if necessary.  We have been told to expect deliveries mid-May onwards.  I know we're in different parts of the country but if I get any more information I'll post on here to keep you in the loop. In the meanwhile please tell your wife not to worry as she will definitely get her second vaccine.  Have a lovely weekend.  Best wishes. Jane.x

Jane, just to update my earlier post, she's now received the magic text and booked for early next week - so she'll be 10 days earlier than planned.  Very good news from our viewpoint, because she's got a series of dental appointments booked for May, and we both desperately need to visit Specsavers.  Trying to get all the potentially risky stuff out of the way while infection rates are still relatively low.

Thanks again for your help.

Harry  🙂

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Jane, just to update my earlier post, she's now received the magic text and booked for early next week - so she'll be 10 days earlier than planned.  Very good news from our viewpoint, because she's got a series of dental appointments booked for May, and we both desperately need to visit Specsavers.  Trying to get all the potentially risky stuff out of the way while infection rates are still relatively low.

Thanks again for your help.

Harry  🙂

That's great news Harry.  I bet you're both delighted.  Very good thinking to get all the risky stuff out of the way while the infections are much lower.  I was going to post again anyway to tell you that following a lunchtime meeting we are told to expect our next Pfizer drop week commencing 5th May.  I'm also glad that your wife got her notification on the Friday before a good-looking weekend.  No need to worry for the next 48 hours.  Best wishes.  Jane.x 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Thanks Avril, when my Grandsons were younger I used to tell them that the flags flying on St George's day were for my birthday.

And so they are!  Have a great day.  Best wishes. Jane.x

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Beautiful sunny day down here in Devon, bit of a cold wind, but that's fine.

Guess who is not using a cane at all in the house, climbing the stairs normally and thoroughly enjoying being back at work.

Show Off. 🙂 Well Done.

• Like 2

This morning, we did something very normal and it was great. A coffee at Costa (sitting outside of course) and a mooch round the shops.  It's surprising how much these small treats have been missed.

I had my 2nd jab yesterday. so far, no after effects at all, even my arm doesn't feel sore.  

I was really surprised at how early I got my 2nd Jab, only 9 weeks after my 1st.  My husband had his first jab at the mass vaccination centre a week before my 1st injection, and had the advantage of booking his second jab at the same time.  As I went down the GP route, I didn't know when my 2nd jab would be, but it turned out that my 2nd jab is a week before his. He'll get his second jab next Saturday on 1st May.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I think the UK situation is pretty good.  I don’t think international news is anything like as good, and as long as international travel is pretty loose I feel there is a danger that the vaccine benefits could be lost.  Ho hum

I must say I am enjoying and appreciating the confidence 2 jabs have given me, the weather and outdoor hospitality.  I’m in no rush to go back inside pubs, restaurants or the cinema

Yes, one of the things we have learned is that international travel can drive infection, so we are still going to need to be very careful.  We have done so well to recover to this point from how it was in December and January. Would hate to see it thrown away.

I'm completely comfortable in outdoor settings, but wear a mask when appropriate, if other people are around.  Last summer, we ate inside some pubs, as long as it wasn't busy and the premises had good ventilation. So I haven't got any qualms about that for this summer, what with being vaccinated now.  But, if I felt that infections were rising again, I would stop, and certainly won't be going to anywhere crowded or enclosed.

Even before the pandemic, I had more or less stopped going to the cinema, as the cinemas round here have been allowed to get run down.  Nearly every auditorium has a few broken seats. What with Netflix and Amazon Prime, I now get my film fix at home.

I love going to the theatre. I've got one theatre show still booked. It was postponed from last year to June, and has been postponed again until September.  At least by September we'll know more about how the opening up of society has affected infection rates, so I will wait an see how things feel nearer the time. I love the theatre, but the thought of sitting cheek by jowl with people is slightly freaky, even if we are all wearing masks ! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I love going to the theatre. I've got one theatre show still booked. It was postponed from last year to June, and has been postponed again until September.  At least by September we'll know more about how the opening up of society has affected infection rates, so I will wait an see how things feel nearer the time. I love the theatre, but the thought of sitting cheek by jowl with people is slightly freaky, even if we are all wearing masks ! 

We have decided to get our theatre fix by booking to go to The Globe Theatre. They are really spacing people out and at least it's partially open to the elements, we have booked front row seats in the middle gallery so no one in front of us.

Our daughter was supposed to be going to The Marlowe in Canterbury last June, that was moved to this June, but has now just been moved to this September. She can't make the new date so is going to try to get a refund, she's not sure she is ready to go to that kind of setting yet anyway.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We have decided to get our theatre fix by booking to go to The Globe Theatre. They are really spacing people out and at least it's partially open to the elements, we have booked front row seats in the middle gallery so no one in front of us.

Our daughter was supposed to be going to The Marlowe in Canterbury last June, that was moved to this June, but has now just been moved to this September. She can't make the new date so is going to try to get a refund, she's not sure she is ready to go to that kind of setting yet anyway.

We had a booking for the Globe for last September, but it was cancelled and we got a refund. It is definitely something we will be thinking of again.

I think your daughter may be booked on the same show  as us at the Marlowe, 9 to 5.

We had two other Marlowe bookings that were refunded, but for some reason we've held on to this one.  I will see how things go, and what theatre capacity they will be running with, so haven't made a final decision as yet

• Like 1

I haven’t been to the theatre for ages. The Hall for Cornwall which is our nearest theatre closed for renovations in 2018 and was due to reopen last spring.  It’s now due to open on October with the premier of The Fisherman’s Friends - The Musical. I am looking forward to being able to go to the theatre again, although I did watch The Shows Must Go On through You Tube.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We had a booking for the Globe for last September, but it was cancelled and we got a refund. It is definitely something we will be thinking of again.

I think your daughter may be booked on the same show  as us at the Marlowe, 9 to 5.

We had two other Marlowe bookings that were refunded, but for some reason we've held on to this one.  I will see how things go, and what theatre capacity they will be running with, so haven't made a final decision as yet

Yes, she was due to see 9 to 5, the new date is the day we are due to travel to Devon. She hopes she'll be given a refund rather than theatre credit.

My husband and I were due to go to the Globe last summer and accepted credit rather than refund. I must say we were impressed with how spaced out the available seats were when we booked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I haven’t been to the theatre for ages. The Hall for Cornwall which is our nearest theatre closed for renovations in 2018 and was due to reopen last spring.  It’s now due to open on October with the premier of The Fisherman’s Friends - The Musical. I am looking forward to being able to go to the theatre again, although I did watch The Shows Must Go On through You Tube.

Will the Minnack Theatre be re opening soon? We watched a great production of Pride and Prejudice there a few years ago and being outside should help prevent transmission of covid

Discussions in this thread are delightfully diverse.  If there was one topic which swamped all others it would get boring - and probably receive the attention of The Management.  However, that’s not the case - there have been very different topics today, besides the mundane but vital “today I shopped/ate/read/watched etc”.

I am joining in to say that my son & a gf had tickets dead centre, front row for The Globe, about two weeks after Lockdown 1.0.  Tickets to die for.  Will they ever be able to get them again?

I don’t think I have anything constructive to say on today’s political *bombshell*.  Tbh, I think there’s so much news management and dead cat stuff it’s getting to the point where even folk like me who have always been interested just sigh and say “Just get on with it - my opinion and my vote are useless anyway”

Another working week gone.  May next weekend - time seems to be hurtling by at the moment

We walked to the pub (continuing the pup’s training!) earlier.  It’s so very, very nice to feel a bit free

Cheers!

487BA8AD-CAB4-4E8C-8D30-1BFA7FF62F2E.jpeg

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Will the Minnack Theatre be re opening soon? We watched a great production of Pride and Prejudice there a few years ago and being outside should help prevent transmission of covid

I loved the Minack Theatre when I went there a few years ago - a very special place. We stayed a 5 minute walk away from it and the weather all week was glorious apart from the evening we went to a performance there....!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I loved the Minack Theatre when I went there a few years ago - a very special place. We stayed a 5 minute walk away from it and the weather all week was glorious apart from the evening we went to a performance there....!

We have some friends who are 'friends' of The Minnack so we had seats in the 2nd row!They brought some Pimms and lemonade with them too so excellent evening!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It was worth a try Eddie, but it didn't go to waste, we drank it as a spritzer and it was ok like that. Sorry to upset the red wine connoisseurs out there🍷😉.

Avril

Sorry you did not enjoy the red wine Avril, I have to admit it took time for me to finally decide I preferred red. Now I find white wine, or at least most of the popular varieties like Sauvignon blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio etc, are far too dry for my new fruity red palate.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry you did not enjoy the red wine Avril, I have to admit it took time for me to finally decide I preferred red. Now I find white wine, or at least most of the popular varieties like Sauvignon blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio etc, are far too dry for my new fruity red palate.

Reds are so different from each other that it takes time to find the ones you like and it's fun trying.🤣

Just now, terrierjohn said:

The thing is John, I seem to find all red wines dry, which is why I was pleased to possibly find one that was classed as 'light and fruity'. To me it had a dry/tart taste. We prefer a medium to sweet wine, which normally means a white, I'm still willing to keep trying though🍷

Avril

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Then please stop trying to bring  all discussions  to your areas of interest that are boring to some on a cruise message board.

Zap - this is a post where we can discuss anything, cruise related or not. You do not decide the agenda!

• Like 4

Has been another warm day here, lunch on the patio again, getting to be a regular occurrence this las couple of weeks, my wife not loving the high pollen count though, Rapeseed crop now in full bloom which is bad for her, less so for me, although my eyes have been sore last few days.

Expensive morning at Dobbies, bought 6 new planters, geraniums and herbs, the ones it the herb pots are passed their best so decided to replace them, nothing like fresh herbs from garden. Then I brought some plants in Gardening Directs sale and new safety goggles from online store.

After busy day in garden nice to sit down to homemade quiche, homemade coleslaw and salad with a glass of an excellent French Red Wine. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

This evening we enjoyed a chilled Torre Loco Rosè in the late afternoon sun, followed by a cheap and cheerful Hardy's Varietal red. 

I long ago decided that we all have individual tastes. For example,  I love medium rare liver, but I know others hate it. And I can't imagine swallowing an oyster,  yet others love them.

Just shows that we are all different, in the same ways that some like balcony cabins and others insides. Wanted to bring some cruising relevance back to the discussion, otherwise Zap gets annoyed, especially when the opinions don't coincide with his own.   

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

After busy day in garden nice to sit down to homemade quiche, homemade coleslaw and salad with a glass of an excellent French Red Wine. 

You could have asked me to join you! I would have brought my bottle of Hardy's. 

Watch out for the frost over the next couple of nights for your plants.

29 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Has been another warm day here, lunch on the patio again, getting to be a regular occurrence this las couple of weeks, my wife not loving the high pollen count though, Rapeseed crop now in full bloom which is bad for her, less so for me, although my eyes have been sore last few days.

Expensive morning at Dobbies, bought 6 new planters, geraniums and herbs, the ones it the herb pots are passed their best so decided to replace them, nothing like fresh herbs from garden. Then I brought some plants in Gardening Directs sale and new safety goggles from online store.

We had a new patio laid a couple of months ago, and been buying some new planters and pots so we can add some extra colour. We’ve also painted old pots to give them a new lease of life. 

We have a new shed on order. We were hoping for a May delivery, but this has slipped to August, as they have been inundated with orders, plus Covid has slowed down production. Likewise, the new patio table and chairs are delayed due to the perfect storm of Covid, Brexit and Suez Canal.  

Over the last year we have bought our plants online. We particularly like You Garden and J Parker’s.

However, I still love Dobbies. We went there on Monday for coffee as they have a large outdoor seating area. It was so good to be back. 

• Like 3

Good morning on this pleasant looking morning currently at a chilly 1.c but expected

to climb up to 17.c around here, so chances are with it been the weekend there will be

loads going off in peoples gardens . Now is the time to sit back and watch the wild

birds as they collect tiny bits of grass as they prepare to nest .The birds where we live

seem to be fairing pretty well ,even the papers agree :classic_love:

imagestits.jpg.4c1d9a3f933895a759345da0f40f2797.jpg try not to stare as it puts them off nesting:classic_unsure:

Sometimes it's lovely to just sit back and hear all the birds tweeting away but sometimes

to be shattered by the sound of the shrieks of the "Gardenous-irriggynous" A shy little seen

creature that frequents nearby gardens and tends to get louder the more they drink.

A common call you will here is .."ARRGH WHAT'S THAT !"  as they run around, shouting " IT'S 

FLYING WORRISSIT ? "  I really hope they read the same papers as I do and we could get  a 

quiet weekend but dependent on the alcohol available then probably not .:classic_wacko:

imagesbugs.jpg.b8fce3dc11b66d45ab51e4424809d3cb.jpg

It's been in the papers also this week that their is a Marmite shortage due to the brewery's 

not producing beer due to the pubs shut in the lockdown, hence a big shortage of the old 

yeast extract . Some of you will be quite sad to find this as some will not, for differing reasons,

being some hate the stuff and others like  the stuff. (A bit like politics and Tipping posts we 

get on here:classic_unsure:)  If you like marmite I hope you manage to get your supplies but fortunate for

me I cannot stand the stuff but that's just me .:classic_smile:

Enjoy your weekend and lets keep safe :classic_love::classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

You could have asked me to join you! I would have brought my bottle of Hardy's. 

Watch out for the frost over the next couple of nights for your plants.

I had noted the frost on the forecast for week ahead, so they are remaining in cold frame for now.