P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Hello all, nice to hear some people are getting out and about and the weather has been kind for most of us.

After work yesterday (I finish at 1pm) I met a friends end and we went for a walk. Had an outdoor coffee half way round and came home via a park which was lovely and peaceful. It was only supposed to be 12 degrees but the sun was shining straight on our faces and it felt much warmer. Glad I put sunscreen on or my face would have been bright red!

Today we started misty and there was a cool wind. However finally the sun came out in time for 2pm  when son, partner and grandson came! He had a lovely time playing in our sand pit. He kept saying ‘help nanny!’ So cute!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

We’re staying at Parkdean Resorts Fallbarrow park in Bowness. Great location 

Looks great Pete, we’re going to just south of Windermere in July, can’t wait!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I don’t think this should be anti James Dyson but concern about the access wealthy friends or contacts seem to have to the Prime Minister and other government ministers which the rest of us are denied. For a country that prides itself on parliamentary democracy and one person one vote, money does seem to open doors to politicians that are firmly shut to the vast majority of voters. All we can do is contact our own MPs, which for me is pointless if I want to question policies and decisions of the current government which he supports. 

I assume Boris felt that his relationship to the likes of James Dyson enabled him to achieve a much faster response in this emergency, than leaving it to the normal civil service route, and I am  grateful that he was the man in charge rather than dithering Starmer.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume Boris felt that his relationship to the likes of James Dyson enabled him to achieve a much faster response in this emergency, than leaving it to the normal civil service route, and I am  grateful that he was the man in charge rather than dithering Starmer.

Interestingly the source of this criticism recieve most of the funding for their party from the unions. Len would never dream of picking up the phone to his parliamentary ' chums '.🤣

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suppose that depends whether you prefer the general sleaze infecting this government to someone who thinks before he opens his mouth, and has respect for the law.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Kalos I hope you’re feeling ok today after your 2nd jab and enjoying  playing around on your new tablet, I had a tablet for 5 years ( 2 in that time ) and last year treated myself to a iPad which I’m on constantly especially at night on here when I go to bed and during the night when I can’t sleep and go on other forums, I would never give up my iPad now so much quicker than my old tablet .

I have never had a problem with either of the jabs I felt nothing whatsoever just wanting 

Mrs K to get part 2 now .:classic_smile:  I hope your feeling better now .  The Tablet was just for sheer

back up should my laptop goes daft and I could be stuck with some of my online payment

site's They are both mirroring each other should I come unstuck .,That's all i needed it for 

and I am more than happy with what it does., not that I will use it that much . :classic_smile:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Dyson delivered zero ventilators for the NHS, neither did JCB who were also said they would build them.  In the end it was Penlon a medical supplies company in Oxford backed by a large number of UK and non U.K. companies who delivered the ventilators

https://www.penlon.com/Blog/March-2020/Ventilator-Challenge-UK-Consortium

• Like 2

My wife finally managed to meet up with her parents in their garden today for the first time since 30 October last year, apart from my wife’s time living in Canada & then France, this is the longest she has gone without seeing her parents. She spoke with them on the phone most days but there is nothing like a face to face meet-up. 

I didn’t go as we waiting for a delivery, which should have come yesterday, but failed to arrive and was rescheduled for today, the first thing she said when got home, is they have aged a lot, my father in law is 90 in the Autumn, from going out a lot to being stuck at home has not helped his demeanour. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Dyson delivered zero ventilators for the NHS, neither did JCB who were also said they would build them.  In the end it was Penlon a medical supplies company in Oxford backed by a large number of UK and non U.K. companies who delivered the ventilators

https://www.penlon.com/Blog/March-2020/Ventilator-Challenge-UK-Consortium

Didn't Mercedes F1 produce CPAP machines as an alternative to the mechanical ventilators. Not sure how many were produced but I seem to remember these were the majority items used in intensive care units.

Edited by terrierjohn

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Didn't Mercedes F1 produce CPAP machines as an alternative to the mechanical ventilators. Not sure how many were produced but I seem to remember these were the majority items used in intensive care units.

So did McLaren and a few others Dyson didn't actually produce any as they were told they weren't needed in the end. We built Nightingale hospitals that weren't needed. Good people stepped up to the plate when asked. Now some folk with an agenda are criticising them and blaming our leaders for doing their best. Some of those are only alive now because of those noble people. In this world there are those that produce results and those that criticise them. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, purplesea said:

Hi all

Lovely and warm down here today 16c althought there is a bit of a breeze. Thanks for sending your warmer weather down!!

Busy day today. Went into Truro this morning and have booked 22 nights on Arvia's TA in Jan 2023. Came home and had a phone call for a job interview tomorrow then was off out again to meet a friend for coffee in Penzance. Got daughter coming round later for a takeaway meal in the garden.

20210421_150438.jpg

Good luck with your job interview tomorrow.

Graham.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

So did McLaren and a few others Dyson didn't actually produce any as they were told they weren't needed in the end. We built Nightingale hospitals that weren't needed. Good people stepped up to the plate when asked. Now some folk with an agenda are criticising them and blaming our leaders for doing their best. Some of those are only alive now because of those noble people. In this world there are those that produce results and those that criticise them. 

A lot of the decisions made over the last 12 months have now caused us to drop out of the top 20 countries with excess covid deaths. Our vaccination progress will likely push us down further. More light at the end of the tunnel albeit still a long way to go.

• Like 10

We were watching the news this evening and started to wonder whether the covid situation in India will impact P&O 's start up now that India has been put on the UK government red list.  We all know that a great many of P&O staff are sourced from India.  What do other people think ?

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We were watching the news this evening and started to wonder whether the covid situation in India will impact P&O 's start up now that India has been put on the UK government red list.  We all know that a great many of P&O staff are sourced from India.  What do other people think ?

I would imagine P&O have been bringing in staff for several weeks in preparation. I am also sure they will have looked at alternatives from other countries.

• Like 1

It's wall to wall sunshine here in Paisley and is to continue into next week but won't make a difference to me, i'm taking part in the Virtual Kiltwalk with my own challenge of walking up and down the set of stairs to my flat 26 times equal to miles in normal Kiltwalk for my favourite charity Children 1st.

Might not sound that difficult but i have a Prosthetic leg and between the operation then housebound recovering then winter kicking in then all these lockdowns over the last year i'm still not very confident wearing it.

The 'official' description of me by the Doctors and Nurses in the hospital was 'determined' my description 'slightly mad', but it's all for the kids that's all that matters.

Probably tempting fate saying this 'though i've had a few falls i've never fallen down the stairs YET'. :-)

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

It's wall to wall sunshine here in Paisley and is to continue into next week but won't make a difference to me, i'm taking part in the Virtual Kiltwalk with my own challenge of walking up and down the set of stairs to my flat 26 times equal to miles in normal Kiltwalk for my favourite charity Children 1st.

Might not sound that difficult but i have a Prosthetic leg and between the operation then housebound recovering then winter kicking in then all these lockdowns over the last year i'm still not very confident wearing it.

The 'official' description of me by the Doctors and Nurses in the hospital was 'determined' my description 'slightly mad', but it's all for the kids that's all that matters.

Probably tempting fate saying this 'though i've had a few falls i've never fallen down the stairs YET'. 🙂

Can I be the the first to offer my best wishes,  and to sincerely hope you don't put a foot wrong!

Sounds like an excellent charity - can you post a link. I'm sure some of us would like to support your efforts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Can I be the the first to offer my best wishes,  and to sincerely hope you don't put a foot wrong!

Sounds like an excellent charity - can you post a link. I'm sure some of us would like to support your efforts.

https://virtual.thekiltwalk.co.uk/fundraising/ScotlandsVirtualKiltwalk2021-ColinShields?fbclid=IwAR0T518izw2_7_hcBW9RoeMFcu-f10BBaHUKYGYeGHhESoyv0aTfo3s3WNI

Thank You from the children, Children 1st and myself.

7 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Probably tempting fate saying this 'though i've had a few falls i've never fallen down the stairs YET'. 🙂

Good luck, I hope that your determination keeps you going.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

McClaren F1 were part of the consortium involved with Penlon. 

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

May be an image of 3 people and text that says '"So I said to Kier 'If you're ever in Bath, I know a great pub'..."'

The other co-owner of the pub has apologised to Kier Starmer, saying the views of the other owner were not his or the pubs. Given he was originally invited to the pub by the owners, then ambushed by that idiot, I think Keir Starmer handled the situation well, off course the tabloid press made more out of it than there was. (I am not a Labour voter either) As for Johnson, if I expressed what I feel about him I would probably be permanently banned from this forum, as they say you can choose friends, but not your family. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The other co-owner of the pub has apologised to Kier Starmer, saying the views of the other owner were not his or the pubs. Given he was originally invited to the pub by the owners, then ambushed by that idiot, I think Keir Starmer handled the situation well, off course the tabloid press made more out of it than there was. (I am not a Labour voter either) As for Johnson, if I expressed what I feel about him I would probably be permanently banned from this forum, as they say you can choose friends, but not your family. 

Thanks for the bigger picture Snow Hill. It had all the hallmarks of a stitch up. Who normally serves drinks carrying a chart related to Covid which he just happened to have when Starmer walked past? I am not quite sure why Starmer was going into the pub anyway because that would be against Covid regulations if he met anybody there, but I am sure that there must be a reason that was pre planned.p when the visit was organised.

It certainly had little logic behind it anyway. Surely better to blame those who devised and implemented the ‘roadmap’ if you disagree with it, rather than those, who in the perceived national interest, didn’t oppose it. 

• Like 2