Is cruising finished with travel insurance now excluding CV19?

Pentlands

18 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

and do we really want to cruise again when we read this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51999845

There are two more ships being refused entry to Australia (Artania ex Artemis and MSC Magnifica) both ships do not have Australians on board is the reason for refusal and Artania also has ex passengers with Corona and people sick on board.  I had somehow wrongly assumed that all major cruise companies had now repatriated everyone. 

Desperate times for those involved.  Credit where credit's due P&O/Cunard have sorted out their world cruise passengers.....almost.

Edited by crompton21

38 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

There are two more ships being refused entry to Australia (Artania ex Artemis and MSC Magnifica) both ships do not have Australians on board is the reason for refusal and Artania also has ex passengers with Corona and people sick on board.  I had somehow wrongly assumed that all major cruise companies had now repatriated everyone. 

Desperate times for those involved.  Credit where credit's due P&O/Cunard have sorted out their world cruise passengers.....almost.

After reading that Ruby Princess article it does seem as though P&O have handled CV far better than poor old Princess, so no wonder the Princess cancellation terms are having to be so much better.

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Do you have annual travel insurance. If so are your cruises more than 12 months away.

We have annual travel insurance and are covered for existing bookings,but not for new/ changed bookings. Bet that cover won't be there next year at a reasonable cost. If people can't get cover, bookings will dry up. Cruise companies,along with many big companies either self insure,or have disaster insurance levels. Many years ago at my early stage of cruising ,cruise companies Sold their own in-house insurance. There is an answer for them. 

Drinks package

Included gratuities

Free WiFi

OBC

Free Corona virus disruption insurance.

That would perhaps get them some extra bookings.

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Our insurance will just cover our October cruise, but as I'm not paying the balance in July, what a waste that was.  Never mind.

We have an Iona cruise booked for the end of August. By the time the final balance is due,P&O will probably still be hanging on so they won't be getting the balance. Fortunately we only paid 5% deposit ( about £130). If things improve and that cruise goes we could rebook, but we won't have coronavirus insurance. If things are looking more positive by late June and P&O show some evidence of playing fair, we may pay and will have insurance as it will be an existing booking. People are having to make decisions on their best guess on what the particular cruise company may,or may not do. 

Happy and safe cruising to you all.

17 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Same here. Did they confirm that it would cover cruises that had already been booked more than 12 months in advance. 

Yes. Anything booked before March something (can’t remember the exact date but maybe 16th?) is covered. 
Any new booking or any transferred booking is not. 

Edited by rachiem

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Rachiem was talking about Covid 19 with his insurance company. See his original post. 

Same with mine. Existing booking is covered, new or changed not covered. I'm sure there are differences between different companies, so wouldn't jump in and generalise.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:22 PM, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Does there? Everything I've seen suggests it is extremely rare that you catch it again. Didn't it turn out that a lot of the people that tested positive again had seemingly caught it again very quickly, indicating that the negative reading they'd had was probably a false one? 

The latest evidence is that the virus is fairly stable too and doesn't seem to be mutating, which is another good sign as it means a vaccine will probably give long term protection. 

I'm with you on that cruisenewbie1976.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#69e34c9e5c0f

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

and last evening I read the opposite.  That there are possibly 2 strains and it will mutate again.  That was in a scientific paper.

If it was https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

It did also mention that "Epidemiologists generally agree that, once a person is infected with the coronavirus, they are unlikely to be infected again – unless the virus mutates to allow it to overcome the immune system’s defences.

This “selection pressure” could lead to the outbreak of a new strain, says Jones. This is the case with seasonal flu – new variants crop up every year that can infect people whether or not they’ve had flu in the past".

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes that's it.  Very interesting.  It would be interesting to know why some people are affected so much worse than others, even if they don't have underlying conditions. 

Viral load, which may explain why so many medical staff have died, including the whistle-blowing young doctor in China?

• Like 1

I received this general travel insurance guidance for those with holidays booked but likely to be cancelled. A bit general but gives you some idea of the process you should follow.

Now that the FCO has issued advice against all non-essential travel for the next 30 days (which is likely to be extended) you may have to cancel or re-organise a booked trip. 

Your first port of call should be your travel provider(s) (airline, hotel, train company, etc) to see if you can obtain a refund or amend your travel plans.

Next speak with your credit card provider (if the trip was booked using a credit card, and the amount paid was over £100) as you should be able to claim under Article 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Finally, speak with your travel insurance claims team (you’ll find their details in your policy wording). Any claim made would be subject to the policy terms and conditions, when the policy was purchased and when the trip was booked.

20 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I received this general travel insurance guidance for those with holidays booked but likely to be cancelled. A bit general but gives you some idea of the process you should follow.

Now that the FCO has issued advice against all non-essential travel for the next 30 days (which is likely to be extended) you may have to cancel or re-organise a booked trip. 

Your first port of call should be your travel provider(s) (airline, hotel, train company, etc) to see if you can obtain a refund or amend your travel plans.

Next speak with your credit card provider (if the trip was booked using a credit card, and the amount paid was over £100) as you should be able to claim under Article 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Finally, speak with your travel insurance claims team (you’ll find their details in your policy wording). Any claim made would be subject to the policy terms and conditions, when the policy was purchased and when the trip was booked.

IE. Try to find someone else to get it from before you bother us.😠

12 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

who the heck is "us" in that post???

I presume ‘us’ refers to the insurers who seem to want people to explore other avenues (travel provider and credit card) before them.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

IE. Try to find someone else to get it from before you bother us.😠

Insurers have always wanted to know if there are any 3rd parties that could cover any of the costs in a claim, so I suppose it is to be expected that they want to know they are the last resort for the claim.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

and the latest from Celebrity and Carnival say that if you are over 70, you need a letter from your doctor to say you are fit to cruise!  Now what doctor is going to do that?

Jean, this is really no longer relevant because no cruises are sailing. Presumably once the govt relax the recommendation not to travel on holiday and only then will cruising restart; and then there will probably be new recommendations from govt and also from the cruise lines.