Port of Seattle Suspends Alaska cruise season indefinitely

jimmieg

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I can't imagine this caught them or any major cruise companies by surprise.

More likely to catch by surprise those hoping for a waiver of the PVSA, which is unlikely under any scenario. 😉

• Like 1

Makes sense... parts of Alaska  are under similar lockdowns like  lower US so ports there may not be  anxious for guests despite possible severe economic impacts.

Wonder where the west coast ships will be hanging out?

1 hour ago, LEtue said:

I am surprised that live virus was found after 17 days 😳  Yikes!

"Live" virus was not found after 17 days, virus RNA was found, not viable organisms. These eronious reports are not helpful. Reports used to support someone's narrative can be scewed to the fit the point of view of the writer. I dare say that the Seattle closing had little or nothing to do with that disproved alegation, and more to do with the fact that Washington State has one of the worst outbreaks in the United States and British Columbia has the second largest outbreak in Canada. Let's try to keep things real by not passing on social networking rumours as fact.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Let's try to keep things real by not passing on social networking rumours as fact.

Yes please! I'm getting annoyed with all the rubbish written on social media. People seem to believe anything they read on facebook these days! 

To everyone wanting to do an Alaskan cruise (like me) I'd strongly suggest you look at 2021. Demand will be higher than ever due to the 2020 season being affected. Book now before prices rocket! Remember not only will demand be higher than normal but the cruise lines will have millions in losses they will want to try and recoup. 

Not sure if this was mentioned in this feed yet but there is that Marine law for ships leaving from a US Port ( Seattle ) going to a destination in the same country (Alaska) that the ship needs to call into a port in another country so they don't violate this old law - which is why most ships port in Victoria BC for a few hours on the Seattle sailings.  Kind of hard for them to do when Canada has closed the ports until at least July 1st.  Really sad for everyone.  Alaska is just the best.

4 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned in this feed yet but there is that Marine law for ships leaving from a US Port ( Seattle ) going to a destination in the same country (Alaska) that the ship needs to call into a port in another country so they don't violate this old law - which is why most ships port in Victoria BC for a few hours on the Seattle sailings.  Kind of hard for them to do when Canada has closed the ports until at least July 1st.  Really sad for everyone.  Alaska is just the best.

Yes, OP mentioned the  Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) in post # 3.