viking cancellations

petrous

Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 29 day cruise Mumbai to London on March 11th.

We told Viking on March 11th we wanted a refund.

Viking said 21 business days for our refund, which would have been April 9th.

On April 10th Viking said refunds were going out by next week.

Now Viking is saying 90 days for our refund.

Stock analysis are say the public trading cruise lines will be burning a Billion dollars a month.

I convinced Viking won't stay out of bankruptcy before we get our refund.

Edited by tomworldwidewaftage

1 hour ago, deec said:

Has anyone been able to have airfare covered by insurance if Viking canceled cruise?  How about if you cancel cruise?  We have two independent airfares with insurance but NOT cancel for any reason?  Too soon to see what airline Delta will do since one is in June and the other October.

We have a September 21 VO cruise from Venice. We booked our own Premium Economy Air with American Airlines and have travel insurance through a 3rd party insurer. Under normal circumstances if Viking cancelled  the cruise the insurance would cover us for the air costs. However the insurance company is using the contract language about coverage under a pandemic to say if we cancel the air they would not cover the costs. AA at this time is only offering a travel vouchers good for 1 year from the date we booked the air, which was last November 19th. If we can't travel by September 21, there is no way we can by November 19th. We do have a Celebrity cruise from Barcelona booked for Aug, 2021 and our best hope is AA extends the voucher use for another year like both United and Delta are doing. If VO cancels the cruise there is no way I will take a FCC from them as I am not confident they will survive all of this and I will not risk the $13,000 they have for our cruise. Our travel insurance would normally protect us in the case of insolvency but again that language about pandemics screws us again. Only good thing is that we can transfer the travel insurance from the VO cruise to the Celebrity one next year.

Standby.  Cunard announced an extension of their 'paused' itineraries today.  They have extended the pause to end in July for two of their ships and they cancelled their entire Alaska cruise season.  More detail here.

https://www.thepress.net/news/state/cunard-extends-pause-to-voyages/article_d29dd482-f99f-5b68-ad17-afd2b535c803.html

We had a Mediterranean cruise scheduled for Nov 21; and payment due in 4 weeks. We have paid deposit- $500 and Insurance (1200) so far.  Called travel agent- she consulted with Viking- they offered travel voucher (I guess this is- FCC-future cruise credit?) for 125% of what we have paid.  I took it- I hope they remain solvent!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 10:02 PM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 29 day cruise Mumbai to London on March 11th.

We told Viking on March 11th we wanted a refund.

Viking said 21 business days for our refund, which would have been April 9th.

On April 10th Viking said refunds were going out by next week.

Now Viking is saying 90 days for our refund.

Stock analysis are say the public trading cruise lines will be burning a Billion dollars a month.

I convinced Viking won't stay out of bankruptcy before we get our refund.

Viking finally refunded our money, they way they did it was with no explanation.

All on the same credit card.

1. $500.00 

2. a week later another $4500.00 

3. a week later another $15,000.00